Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-08 13:51:25

lonlaz

Hi from Nebraska.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone.  I've got questions, of course, but I'll save those for the appropriate forums.

My first introduction to shakuhachi started about 2 years ago at the Kansas City Ren Faire.  A maker had a booth with a number of other handmade instruments, mostly woodwind.  I am a bit of a Japanophile and was instantly attracted to the instrument, even though I had no idea what it sounded like, and I am not a musician.  The next year, on the next trip, I bought it. 

It took me about 45 minutes and a lot of wind to get a tone out of it in the car on the drive home.  I've been playing with it ever since, just making noise.  I can play the second octave, until of course I refine my embochure, then I have to relearn everything again.  I have just bought a 1.9 from the same maker.  I personally have no way to judge quality of instrument, but since I don't know the difference, I'm not worried, as long as I have something to play.  I love my Shakuhachi.

Now, I want to start studying, instead of puttering around.

#2 2008-10-08 20:40:25

Josh
PhD
Website

Re: Hi from Nebraska.

Welcome. Good luck finding a teacher lonlaz. They will answer your questions and fill your head with 10,000 more wink

#3 2008-10-09 00:45:37

Zakarius

I'm by no means an expert but I've found that what I can play well on the instrument I've become used to (a high-end 2.8 by Perry Yung), I can't play on other flutes. Though I have no experience trying more expensive flutes, I imagine that the limitations in quality of the inferior instruments plays a bigger role than simply what one is used to. If you can find a teacher (or experienced player) locally, (s)he would be an excellent judge of your flute's quality. The key, of course, is practice wink  Congraulations on your healthy addiction!

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2008-10-09 16:58:35

lonlaz

Well, did a little searching around, and it seems that a couple of posters have bought "Shakuhachi" from the same maker.  I used quotes because, I believe that here they are referred to Folk Shakuhachi.  They are not made of root-end bamboo.  They may or may not be tuned well.. but I do not have the ear to judge that.  Also, I don't have any way to judge if they are capable of playing shakuhachi pieces.  I do like them, though, and don't regret the purchases.

It looks like I'll have to get some online lessons, but I haven't decided if I'm going to buy a Yuu first.

Thanks for the welcome!

Board footer