Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-08 13:59:07

lonlaz

How terribly wrong is this?

I have been puttering around with the Shakuhachi for about a year now, and am going to start looking for a teacher.  I have noticed that I am playing with my hands opposite positions than everyone else, my right hand on the closest part of the flute, and my left on the furthest.

How terrible is this? Should I start reeducating myself?

#2 2008-10-08 14:56:42

Karmajampa
Website

Re: How terribly wrong is this?

It is not wrong at all.
It is probably your natural posture.
It makes no difference to playing well.
You are a left-hander.
If you ever acquire a long flute where holes 1 and 3 may be skewed for comfort, they need to be skewed appropriately for a left-hander.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2008-10-08 18:06:33

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

It is not wrong at all.
It is probably your natural posture.
It makes no difference to playing well.
You are a left-hander.
If you ever acquire a long flute where holes 1 and 3 may be skewed for comfort, they need to be skewed appropriately for a left-hander.

Kel.

Yes, you are a lefty, like many of the best shakuhachi players. Nothing to worry about.

Depending on the size of your hands you might not have to offset the holes on long flutes. I play inline up to about 3.0 after that I like them offset. However this is different with each person.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-10-08 20:58:15

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Lonlaz
The main disadvantage about playing that way round is that longer shakuhachi have offset holes, and they are nearly always made the other way round, as Kel mentioned. In that case it may be necessary to custom order such instruments, as not many makers or shops have them in stock. Holes are often offset (depending on the school) from 2.0 up.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#5 2008-10-08 21:02:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

However the people who originated long flutes made them with inline holes. Offsetting is a recent development.

#6 2008-10-09 00:48:43

Zakarius

Tairaku wrote:

However the people who originated long flutes made them with inline holes. Offsetting is a recent development.

...and a very good one!

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#7 2008-10-09 05:41:39

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Zakarius wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

...and a very good one!

Zak

Infidel!

Jinashi Police have you on their watch list.

lol

#8 2008-10-09 15:37:15

Karmajampa
Website

I am left-handed, but like my flutes to have the holes 'in-line', not skewed, including the thumb hole. This is because I also like to play right-handed, or more specifically, after playing on one flute for a 20 minute period, I can give my hands a rest by switching over to right-hand posture. Within a couple of minutes I can feel those muscles that were getting a bit tense have now relaxed. It also has a nice influence on how I am improvising, as my hands respond differently in alternate postures. There is an interesting shift in my mind/body relationship with the flute. Plus, when playing a known piece, or phrase, it shows me how individual fingers have their individual strengths and weaknesses.
I also think the postural shift from left-handed to right-handed balances my general body posture, particularly shoulders, spine, hands and feet.
It is an interesting technique.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#9 2008-10-09 16:05:39

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I am so used to playing inline long flutes that when I play other ones that are offset I get the creeps.

#10 2008-10-09 16:25:26

Karmajampa
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I am so used to playing inline long flutes that when I play other ones that are offset I get the creeps.

Incongruous !.....I read your Femmes bio.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2008-10-10 00:08:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Brian, the picture you posted a while ago of a long shakuhachi, originally had inline holes, but you got it changed to being offset. Doesn't that mean that you do prefer offset holes on occasion? Enough to change a vintage shakuhachi?

For me, it depends partly on what style I want to play, and partly on how far I have to reach. On the older shakuhachi the chi hole is higher than on modern ones. In that case, the distance to reach to the chi hole is less so it is more comfortable. The down side is it is out of tune for the music I play. Probably the offsetting of holes came about due to both the new trend (historically speaking) of long shakuhachi, and the new trend of a lower pitch for chi, both of which extend the finger reach beyond comfort.

Justin

#12 2008-10-10 01:28:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Justin wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Brian, the picture you posted a while ago of a long shakuhachi, originally had inline holes, but you got it changed to being offset. Doesn't that mean that you do prefer offset holes on occasion? Enough to change a vintage shakuhachi?

That was a 3.2 and the 3 hole was in a bad place both for my wrist and also for tuning. So we were able to fix the tuning and also make it more comfortable to play. That's where I draw the line, if the grip is causing pain or putting your hand in a dangerous position. Everybody has to find out what that is for themselves, but I posit that most people move to offset holes much shorter than they would really need to if they worked with it a bit. I wouldn't offset a hole just to play faster or make a long flute feel more like a 1.8. This is what happens most of the time, people are not willing to adapt their grip to long flute. They expect to finger it like a 1.8 and when they can't they move the holes. Long flutes require a different grip, both to be able to play them with inline holes and also to support the instrument without placing strain on the fingers and wrists. It's ergonomics. Once you develop a specific "long flute" grip things like inline holes or heavy bamboo become feasible. Trying to support it with the tips of your fingers like a 1.8 leads to comments like "too heavy" or "I need to move the holes".

I have flutes I got earlier which I thought "needed" to be offset and now I can't play them anymore because it forces my hands into an uncomfortable position, now that I have mastered a good "long flute" grip.

#13 2008-10-10 08:34:04

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Brian
Yes I agree with you. I had to re-make a couple of long shakuhachi (2.7 and 2.8) made by a Tozan maker. Both the 1st holes and 3rd holes were offset, but quite drastically. I didn't change the hole positions but remade the inside as they were poor instruments. When the owner collected them, he tried my long shakuhachi, and he was trying to play them as you describe - with fingertips like one does on a 1.8. My way of making is to keep the holes preferably straight, and from there to move them as far as I need to to play the music I will play on them (some of which is fast, so that becomes a factor) without causing harm to my body or my music. For this, I find it unnecessary to move the 1st hole (at least up to 2.7), and only necessary to move the 3rd hole somewhat (less than this Tozan maker had done). As you have mentioned about "long shakuhachi grip", I use different parts of my fingers to cover the holes depending on the length of the shakuhachi.

This person who as I had said was using his fingertips, was really struggling with the straight 1st hole. He said he would prefer it offset. So I asked him, "When you play your long shakuhachi, is it comfortable after playing for 20 or so minutes?" "No" he said. So I encouraged him to try my way of covering the holes. Of course, it is difficult in the beginning, but he realised that it was worth to practice that way as in the end he would be able to play for longer periods of time in comfort. In that case also, better to have the 1st hole straight. I would start offsetting it slightly around 3 shaku.

Justin

Last edited by Justin (2008-10-10 09:21:40)

#14 2008-10-10 15:42:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yes Justin, adaptability is a good trait if you want to move around between different lengths of shakuhachi. It's also a matter of what people get used to. The syndrome we are describing is the result of everybody learning on the standard 1.8 and then not adapting to long flutes when they want to start playing those. In the very rare circumstance of Kiku Day, who started out on long flutes, she is able to handle them well despite being small and having small hands.

#15 2008-10-10 21:34:34

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

I am lucky that within 6 months of starting shakuhachi, I went from 1.8 to a really fat 3.0 jinashi. For the first few days it was really difficult, but after that pretty much anything was OK. I continued playing on long jinashi until I started studying other genres, and then I had to start using various lengths and styles. But I never had any problem changing from shakuhachi to shakuhachi of different styles and lengths. I naturally use a variety of grips and embouchures without thinking about it, as it becomes automatic. Perhaps that has something to do with "growing up" on long jinashi?

Furuya Teruo I have noticed is also very adaptable, more so than most players. He grew up on Rampo shakuhachi, which also demand a certain amount of adjusting/adaptability from the player. He says this experience helps him to be able to adjust. So perhaps it is important which shakuhachi you grow up on. I guess if you grew up on super-stable modern shakuhachi, it will be really difficult to play or perhaps appreciate jinashi or certain vintage instruments.

Justin

#16 2008-10-11 15:43:15

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Tairaku wrote:

The syndrome we are describing is the result of everybody learning on the standard 1.8 and then not adapting to long flutes when they want to start playing those. In the very rare circumstance of Kiku Day, who started out on long flutes, she is able to handle them well despite being small and having small hands.

Hey, Brian. I am a big girl! wink
Jokes aside. Yes, I had played shakuhachi for more than 10 years when I got my first 1.8. Today I love short flutes, but nothing feels as good still as blowing single long notes on my 3.2, which is my physical limit. I began on 2.3, then fairly quickly moved up to 3.1. I have inline holes up to my fat 2.9. From 3.0 I offset a little.
Adaptability is a nice and convenient skill to have - but not necessary depending on what you want to do with your playing. But yes, I would recommend practicing on different types and length of flutes because it will make you realise the differences between styles, genres etc more.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-10-11 15:46:57)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#17 2008-10-11 16:44:33

YuccaBruce
Website

I do 95% of life left handed- throw, kick,bowl,chopsticks,write. At baseball I can't bat from the so called left side,could never put my left hand on top of the right to swing. I play golf righty, but tennis lefty, hockey left hand on top of the stick & push off the left foot skating.......a pianists right hand is always most developed as a result of the mid to high end of a keyboard containing the most work. Being left handed has had no conscious advantage for me in this respect.  I played a transverse flute first, and you can't make a switcheru there. So in shakuhachi I naturally put my left hand on top of the right. But, I got kicked out elementary school orchestra for playing fiddle with a left handed bow, I kept starting fights by poking  kids with my bow. Handedness is in the way you see things. As regards offset tone holes, I resisted at first but found that it is ergonomically fluid as opposed to interfering with some sense of sequencial symetry relating to pitch etc..my only regret is that "they" never let me be a catcher, as a lefty its hard to make that throw to 2nd with so many right handed batters & hard to find a catchers mit for the right hand. I do have one though, so lefties keep the faith.

#18 2008-10-11 17:15:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It's interesting how most "lefties" still do some things right handed, but seldom do righties approach anything left handed. I do everything right handed except shooting a rifle, but I almost never do that.

Bruce do you golf left handed, or right?

Regarding piano, many of the best pianists I have heard are lefties, because their bass notes are not mushy like so many pianists.

#19 2008-10-11 17:32:04

Karmajampa
Website

I have been throwing pottery on the wheel for 25 years. I started out in the English anti-clockwise direction as that was how I observed it being done, after fifteen years I switched to the Japanese clockwise direction. I think this is a switch from right handed to left handed. I prefer the left.
I have played guitar all my life, mainly rhythm and some classical. I play right handed, not like Jimi Hendrix, though in the case of this kind of instrument each hand is doing a very different action though co-ordinated.
When I make love to my wife.....ok, I won't go there !

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#20 2008-10-11 19:27:30

Josh
PhD
Website

I'm a lefty too, but I prefer left hand on top. My teacher who is a righty switched for awhile because his teacher, Yokoyama sensei, is right on top. I think he was just exploring and didn't stick with it, but he says it was good to try both.  Left on top just feels more comfortable to me, maybe that's only because I got used to it that way, but It definately does help when looking at playing longer flutes, becasue the majority of them are slightly off center. But just go with whatever feels more comfortable to you. Or better yet, go with both like Kel.

#21 2008-10-11 20:02:00

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Yes, I think it is just what one gets used to when you one started - left or right on top. Since we use both hands, I would not assume either way to be "left handed". I believe Yokoyama is right handed (correct me if I'm wrong) and that he himself switched to right hand on top because he wanted his atari (hole hitting) on his top hand to be faster, and he was faster with his right hand.

Justin

#22 2008-10-11 20:21:02

Musgo da Pedra
Website

I am also lefty and almost everything I do is like a right-handed... Talking about shakuhachi, I use left hand on top... In the days when I got more time to play, I switch between left and right hand on top to take a kind of rest. What I feel then is that I have more ability in fast passages (because I use to play more this way) with my left on top... with my right on top, I got a very good feeling of "no-weight", I almost no feel weight and even that I do not have a fast ratiocination about fingerings changes, I feel the changes going in a light, pleasant, smooth and fluid way...... 

I like both ways... one feel (left on top) more technique and precise (although not without feeling) and another gives (to me at least) a good gamma of nice sensations, due to the factor that I play less with my right on top...

I was talking about the feel... but I decide to use the left on top like my "standard"...

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2008-10-11 20:26:47)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#23 2008-10-12 08:59:11

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I believe that it is totally unrelated and irrelevant whether you are a lefty or righty, when it comes to which hand a Shakuhachi player first decides to use on top.
It can be changed, but I have found that, in almost all cases, however you first pick up a Shakuhachi will determine your forever-preference !

My teacher and his son (Kurahashi YODO, and Kurahashi YOSHIO), as well as AOKI REIBO, all use right-hand on top, while most other players (including myself and most of my students) use left-hand on top.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#24 2008-10-13 10:57:41

YuccaBruce
Website

Good point Brian,  righties almost never doing things lefty. Its the perception of being at the left of a golf ball & is similar (for me) to being at the left side starring downa pitcher, therefore being in the right side batters box. But handedness in music ought to disappear as one gets "one" w/ the work. But I notice in thickly voiced music like Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninov and some Bach where lines, secondary voicing cross through registers, being lefty gives me the sense that " the dominant hand is "drawing" a line- I definetely feel a different connection as to tone and how to manage a fullsound in the tenor and bass range that is different than my right hand. Its funny there are no left handed built pianos. Imagine how weird it would be if the low end were to the right and high to the left. Maybe  the thing  is top to bottom. I've always been a leg man:)

#25 2008-10-13 23:31:35

jumbuk

YuccaBruce wrote:

Its funny there are no left handed built pianos. Imagine how weird it would be if the low end were to the right and high to the left. Maybe  the thing  is top to bottom. I've always been a leg man:)

I remember seeing a tip for keyboard players, to help break out of conventional thinking - turn the keyboard around and play it from the other side.  I think I remember a solo played by someone like Jo Zawinul using this approach.

Some modern (and not so modern) keyboards have alternative tuning options - like quarter tones.  Playing one of these has the same weird feel.

On guitar (something I am more comfortable with), playing in an unfamiliar alternative tuning can have a similar liberating feel - for a while, until you get stuck in the rut of the few workable hand positions that you find by trial and error.

On guitar, the closest to playing a backwards piano is that strange thing that happens when you finger a "harp style" chord that has notes running down the scale as you go across the strings from low to high.

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

Board footer