Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-10 09:28:57

Vevolis
Website

"Fairy Notes"

I've been taught that the predecessor to playing any note well (or at all) is to practice playing what my on again off again sensei calls “fairy notes”. I’m wondering what this is called and if it is actually used in traditional music? It sounds like breathy harmonics that fluctuate in pitch rapidly before a solid tone is achieved.

#2 2008-10-10 10:52:23

Bruce Hunter

Re: "Fairy Notes"

I don't know from predecessors, but I use these things as examples of diaphragm control for my students. I've heard them variously described as edge tones, whisper tones and flageolet tones, if we're talking about the same thing. 8^) I've heard them on recordings and sometimes they sound like artifacts, and sometimes sound like effects. I've found, that in my limited collection of recordings, that they are more like to appear on recordings of contemporary/original music than on recordings of classical honkyoku by more masterful players. Of course that's just my recordings, and my interpretations.
later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#3 2008-10-10 10:52:41

philthefluter
Website

I think you may be referring to whistle tones. These are often produced by accident at the start or end of a note but can also be played in isolation. The angle of the air stream has to be very exact to produce them. You also need to reduce the air pressure which is a good breathing exercise in itself. The whistle tones will fluctuate between harmonics so it is also a good challenge to keep a steady stream of air (to try to jump between harmonics).

Whistle tones are one of the secrets of developing a rich tone. A couple of minutes at the start of practice before ro-buki should do the trick. You may feel a tickling in the lip muscles afterwards. Whistle tones will work areas of your embouchure that normal blowing sometimes bypasses and will benefit from. You can listen to whistle tones here: http://www.shakuhachizen.com/warm-ups.html.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#4 2008-10-10 11:02:54

Vevolis
Website

philthefluter wrote:

I think you may be referring to whistle tones. These are often produced by accident at the start or end of a note but can also be played in isolation. The angle of the air stream has to be very exact to produce them. You also need to reduce the air pressure which is a good breathing exercise in itself. The whistle tones will fluctuate between harmonics so it is also a good challenge to keep a steady stream of air (to try to jump between harmonics).

Whistle tones are one of the secrets of developing a rich tone. A couple of minutes at the start of practice before ro-buki should do the trick. You may feel a tickling in the lip muscles afterwards. Whistle tones will work areas of your embouchure that normal blowing sometimes bypasses and will benefit from. You can listen to whistle tones here: http://www.shakuhachizen.com/warm-ups.html.

Cool! The reason I ask is because my teacher has an album called "Sacred Sounds for Sleep" and uses a lot of whisle tones (and reverb). I play it from time to time and find it very calming, I wanted to know if it was practiced anywhere in Honkyoku as a result. It really does open the gateway to a lot of strong tones.

#5 2008-10-17 09:19:49

YuccaBruce
Website

Yup- whistle tones are the portal to good sound.

#6 2008-10-17 20:19:03

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

I would like to add that whistle tones are probably not heard on classical honkyoku by more masterful players because they were actually not thought to be integral parts of the music itself, but artifacts.  Also, to hear those sounds, relatively close micing is necessary.  In most of the older honkyoku recordings I've heard, close micing wasn't implemented becuase it tended to pick up too much breath sound and those nasty little artifacts that show up at the beginning and end of a breath.  Aside from that, if any sort of reverb, compression or limiting was added to the recording (likely it was if it was done in a studio) those whistle tones could disappear altogether.  I personally like them in certain instances.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#7 2008-10-28 08:56:27

marek
Website

Hi Kees,

I don't feel I can advise on technique, but one of the fun excercises I do is that I start start playing the whistle tones solely - toying with them... and then I try to add the main tone whilst keeping the whistle tones as they are and then fading the main tone again. I feel this can give you the idea how and when they are produced.
My two cents.

Marek

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

Board footer