Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-13 22:07:59

Kyraath
Website

Greetings and well met

Greetings all, I just discovered this forum (last night in fact) and have become immediately drawn to the members and the content in the short bit of reading I have done.  It will take me a while to read through the entire history so I wanted to get registered and introduce myself before I begin that project.  My name is Jason Dickens and I have been living in Tokushima Japan for the past year as a somewhat non-traditional JET participant teaching English at an extremely rural school.  After my time here I'll be returning home to Northern Colorado.  I have been fortunate in my journeys here in Japan to have found a wonderful music group in a nearby town and have been learning to play the Koto.  In preparing for our upcoming performance, a Shakuhachi sensei has been coming to our practices and I have been able to spend some time with him and to begin learning how to play.  After our performance in two weeks, he is going to start me on proper lessons and I couldn't be more excited.  Shakuhachi has always been an instrument that I wanted to learn but have never really had the chance.  Now that I'm being given the opportunity, I want to learn as much about it as I possibly can. 

In another twist of fate, yesterday one of the super nice older ladies that I play Koto with brought a Shakuhachi to our practice and wanted to give it to me but I was able to convince her to sell it instead.  It would be really difficult for me to receive such a large gift especially since the Shakuhachi sensei examined it and told us it was a little higher end than the usual starter Shakuhachi.  She received the Shakuhachi from her uncle and didn't know much of its history and it was in trying to research the hanko that I found this forum.  I'm going to go to the local traditional instrument store this weekend and see if they can tell me more about the maker.  Here is a picture of the hanko. (hosted on my website to limit bandwidth use here)  If anyone has seen this one and can give any information it would be greatly appreciated.  If not, I'll add whatever info I receive from the local shop once I find out.

I'm looking forward to reading this forum and meeting all of you.
--Kyraath

#2 2008-10-14 00:06:00

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Greetings and well met

Kyraath....good find, happy blowing.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2008-10-14 11:06:20

philthefluter
Website

Welcome to the forum. I am a former JET. I started shakuhachi a few years before going to Japan and found JET a great way to understand the culture. My boss used to joke that I only came to Japan as my shakuhachi was homesick.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#4 2008-10-14 12:01:22

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Welcome to the forum Kryaath! I hope you enjoy your time here. Interesting reading on your site!

Ken

#5 2008-10-14 12:17:27

Lorka

Hey Kyraath,

I actually dug the D&D stuff on your site.  I a former DM thinking of getting back into it, as 4e looks fun.  I've been working out my own game multiverse, on and off, for the past 10 years, and am thinking of putting it all together into a unified campaign package.  Kind of what you seem to be doing too.  My hope is to play on something like fantasy grounds, or some other app that does virtual tabletop.   The cards are awesome.  I love em.  How'd you make them?

Oh, and welcome to the shakuhachi-land.  The key to shakuhachi is patience and an obsessive bent.  I'm guessing you've got both of those bases covered. 

Matt

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#6 2008-10-15 02:48:39

Kyraath
Website

Thanks for the welcome, I've already learned SO much here and I've barely made it through much of the history.  I'm looking forward to spending some more time here.

phil:
Former JET huh?  I'm meeting tons of people lately who participated in or tried to participate in JET.  What area were you located in?  The people in my area always tend to say "wow, you're more Japanese than I am" and give me a weird look.  I think out of the five schools I teach at, one person has ever played Koto and no one has ever even tried Shakuhachi.  Everyone here is great though, they are very encouraging and I'll miss them when I finish the program.

Lorka:
Thanks, I put a ton of work into those power cards.  I used photoshop to put them together, some of the graphics are from other internet sources, but most of it is just from scratch.  If you're (or anyone else really is) interested in using my cards in a game, I'm going to put them all together in an easy to download package soon and make them available online.  Just let me know and I'll make sure you know when I get the package finished.  Ever since 4e came out, I've become more and more motivated to set up a campaign and I'm actually nearly finished.  There are many days that I have very little to do here at work so I've spent some of that time designing my world.  I've wanted to start a D&D campaign for too many years now but was always too busy with school or work or whatever, so this JET experience has been great to help me clear my daily tasklist.

#7 2008-10-15 08:48:03

Lorka

Kyraath,

If you set up something that uses remote or virtual table-top stuff, let me know.  Anyways, my ability to do this would depend on the availability of a virtual table-top (such as DDI has promised), as it's a little distance from Montreal to Colorado (or Japan for that matter).  Fantasy Grounds II is also a possibility, but I don't know much about that.  I may be interested in joining up on your campaign and certaily am interested in hearing more.  Perhaps once my own campagin world (and multiverse) is up (probably 6 months from now), you might be interested in testing it out.  It's nice for us DM types to get to players as well.   I have a couple of players lined up and they have expressed an interest in a module/story-based style of play.  I like the idea of interconnected modules, each with their own beginning, middle and end.  It is fun to weave together such modules into an overarching narrative that gives the players a focus and purpose and takes them from lowbie to epic levels.  Okay public nerd display over now.  Back to flutes.   Shoot me an email sometime.  I'm interested.

Damn, did I just reveal a mispent youth and adolesence?  Oops.  Did I mention I also like Shakuhachi?

Last edited by Lorka (2008-10-15 08:59:23)

~ Lao Tzu~

#8 2008-10-15 16:01:47

Vevolis
Website

If you're into DnD, might I humbly suggest looking into L5R? *Legend of the Five Rings*... suitably feudal Japan, fantasy setting. There is even a damage rating for a Shakuhachi.

#9 2008-10-16 01:32:20

Zakarius

Lorka wrote:

If you set up something that uses remote or virtual table-top stuff, let me know.  Anyways, my ability to do this would depend on the availability of a virtual table-top (such as DDI has promised), as it's a little distance from Montreal to Colorado (or Japan for that matter).  Fantasy Grounds II is also a possibility, but I don't know much about that.  I may be interested in joining up on your campaign and certaily am interested in hearing more.  Perhaps once my own campagin world (and multiverse) is up (probably 6 months from now), you might be interested in testing it out.  It's nice for us DM types to get to players as well.   I have a couple of players lined up and they have expressed an interest in a module/story-based style of play.  I like the idea of interconnected modules, each with their own beginning, middle and end.  It is fun to weave together such modules into an overarching narrative that gives the players a focus and purpose and takes them from lowbie to epic levels.

I have Fantasy Grounds II and ran a low-magic D&D game with it a year ago (for about a full year) but everyone's schedule changed and we had to call it quits. (All of the players were friends of mine from overseas.) I recently ran a game in Chinese for some local friends but again, scheduling problems. I've been hesitating about setting up a new game online with Fantasy Grounds because I take my gaming seriously (put a lot of time into it) and can't stand when lackadaisical players don't show up or put any energy into the game... Sounds like the two of you might be great players, though wink  Anyways, let me know if you're interested...

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#10 2008-10-16 08:33:12

Lorka

Hey Zak,

I am moving house and job hunting at the moment, so it would be a bad idea for me to commit to anything "right now", but a few months down the road I may be very interested.  I should warn though: I was a DM for about 10 years, but like yourself I had players with schedule conflicts, and not all of them put in as much energy, so that tended to bring the bar down for those who did.  I finished up my last campagin when I was 22, so I have not played in 11 years (just turned 33 last week), so I may be a bit rusty as a DM and a player.   During those years though, I always kept developing my campagin universe and ideas (though mostly in my head, which makes me sound schizo).  Back then we did not have the internet, as it is used now, so finding eager (and mature) players was near impossible.    I kept up with 3e and own a number of the sourcebooks.  I was initially sceptical about 4e due to lots of nay sayers, but after looking into it and checking out a number of the freely available adventure PDF's on the wizards site, I think the game is a great improvement with lots of potential for fun.  It also makes player cooperation and teamwork more significant and makes every class one that is worth choosing.  Anyways, I said to myself I was not going to ramble about this and here I am doing just that.  Zak and Kyaath, I am both interested.  We should get in contact and chat.  A roleplaying alliance born of shakuhachi, I would never have guessed such a thing possible.  Strange indeed. 

Matt

Last edited by Lorka (2008-10-16 08:35:35)

~ Lao Tzu~

#11 2008-10-18 11:49:31

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Kyraath,

Welcome to the forum.  I teach and play shakuhachi in Kochi prefecture, next door to Tokushima.  If you ever plan to make it over to Kochi you're welcome to drop in on a lesson or maybe I could just point out some of the sights to see in Kochi; just send me a mail beforehand if you plan on coming through as I have a fairly busy schedule this fall and am not always around.   There are various shakuhachi related events going on this fall; next weekend on October 25th some local shamisen, koto, and shakuhachi players and I are doing a concert at a Shingon Buddhist temple called Chikurinji (in Kochi city) at 2:00 p.m.; it's a free event and anyone is welcome to attend.  On December 20th my sensei's shakuhachi group is holding its 20th anniversary concert at Kochi's Bijitsukan (Art Museum) Hall.  I used to play D & D in the years before computers were in vogue...remember playing while spring break tent camping down in the Florida Keys about a quarter century ago...

Daniel

#12 2008-10-18 15:59:11

edosan
Edomologist

Lorka wrote:

Hey Zak,

I am moving house and job hunting at the moment, so it would be a bad idea for me to commit to anything "right now", but a few months down the road I may be very interested.  I should warn though: I was a DM for about 10 years, but like yourself I had players with schedule conflicts, and not all of them put in as much energy, so that tended to bring the bar down for those who did.  I finished up my last campagin when I was 22, so I have not played in 11 years (just turned 33 last week), so I may be a bit rusty as a DM and a player.   During those years though, I always kept developing my campagin universe and ideas (though mostly in my head, which makes me sound schizo).  Back then we did not have the internet, as it is used now, so finding eager (and mature) players was near impossible.    I kept up with 3e and own a number of the sourcebooks.  I was initially sceptical about 4e due to lots of nay sayers, but after looking into it and checking out a number of the freely available adventure PDF's on the wizards site, I think the game is a great improvement with lots of potential for fun.  It also makes player cooperation and teamwork more significant and makes every class one that is worth choosing.  Anyways, I said to myself I was not going to ramble about this and here I am doing just that.  Zak and Kyaath, I am both interested.  We should get in contact and chat.  A roleplaying alliance born of shakuhachi, I would never have guessed such a thing possible.  Strange indeed. 

Matt

Fascinating!!!!

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2008-10-18 19:43:42

Lorka

Thanks for that edosan.  sarcasm noted.  I will not post about things unrelated to shakuachi.

Last edited by Lorka (2008-10-18 21:10:09)

~ Lao Tzu~

#14 2008-10-18 23:28:21

edosan
Edomologist

Lorka wrote:

Thanks for that edosan.  sarcasm noted.  I will not post about things unrelated to shakuachi.

It's why Al Gore invented email...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#15 2008-10-22 00:57:52

Kyraath
Website

Wow I'm back and thanks for the welcome everyone.  I seem to have gotten myself super busy the past couple days and haven't touched the computer in a week or so.  This weekend is going to continue the craziness though as my Koto performance is on Sunday.  I'm really excited because we've been practicing like crazy AND once the Koto concert is over, I get to start my Shakuhachi lessons for real.  For now I've just been trying to sustain a single note as long as possible without changing the pitch to train my breathing.  I haven't had a lesson yet but that seemed like a good way to begin.  Is there anything else I should do as a super basic beginner before my first lesson?

I'd LOVE to come to some of the Kochi Shakuhachi events.  I've been looking for a good reason to do some more Shikoku exploring.  The 25th is unfortunately right out because of my Koto concert on the 26th, but this December thing sounds interesting.  When it gets closer to the time I'll get some more info from you for sure.

#16 2008-10-22 05:18:04

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Hi Kyraath,

Playing long tones sounds like a good thing to do as a 'super basic beginner'.  You might look into buying a tuner just to see if you're staying on the correct pitch.  Good luck with the koto performance.

#17 2008-10-22 14:56:11

axolotl
Website

Lorka wrote:

Hey Zak,

Matt

You guys are ALL going to play Monks, aren't you?  Monks and Bards.  wink

#18 2008-10-22 19:27:17

Kyraath
Website

axolotl wrote:

You guys are ALL going to play Monks, aren't you?  Monks and Bards.  wink

I'd be a bard with a Shakuhachi, but I hate bards wink  Cleric all the way for me.

#19 2008-10-22 20:50:33

axolotl
Website

Druid for me!  I summon woodland creatures.

Board footer