Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-04 00:20:48

Travis Winegar
Website

Formalism in Shakuhachi

As with martial arts (and most areas of life I suppose), there are formalities and traditions that come with learning the shakuhachi.  Referring to your instructor as sensei is one such formality.  And I am sure there are tons and tons of movements, gestures, phrases, and such that come with the territory.

These things are a big mystery to me.  With no background in martial arts (which it seems a lot of players have), I also have no background in basic japanese traditions and formalities.  I don't know when to bow or when to sit.  I don't know when it is appropriate to address your master, or what to call them when you do!  Basically, I don't know a darn thing about the way things (historically I suppose) are supposed to be done.  I feel as though I am missing out on a very important part of the experience (college would feel a bit drab if I didn't have those mysterious Dr. Soandsos who seemingly contain infinite knowledge and experience).

So, since the horse has been properly flogged, could any of you recommend a course of action for learning these things?  Be they books or websites or rabies-awareness pamplets from the local Humane Society, any would be helpful!

Thanks and Thanks again

"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw." – Shunryu Suzuki

Shakuhachi Search Engine

#2 2006-03-04 02:08:41

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Formalism in Shakuhachi

There is no particular set of rules of comportment, other than mutual respect.

Just behave yourself, and pay attention, and you'll be just fine...

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-03-04 02:12:22)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-03-05 19:20:00

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Travis,

Edosan has a great tip - just behave your self and pay attention.

Whenever I visit Japan, I am always reminded that I need to make it known in social situations that I am not of the Japanese culture. I look like a Japanese person but am not studied in Japanese etiquette and do not follow the customs.  I find myself in awkward sitiuations all the time and confuse people in my interactions. To pre-empt such situations, I always state, "Tsumimasen, Nihongo tsukoshi dekimasu" (Sorry, I can do just a little Japanese).

Bowing, as you mentioned is quite a complicated thing in itself. When I first visited Japan for a lengthy period, I was a bit hesitant on my bowing technique and that made a few encounters humorous to say the least. I noticed that clerks in 7-11s stared at me a bit whenever I bowed back to them. It took a week for me to realize that in that situation, there was no need to bow back. A simple "arigato" would've been fine. However, if I made a purchase in a department store, bowing back seemed customary (but not too deep or for too long). Getting to the shakuhachi, a deep bow before and after your lesson to your sensei would show great respect. But, as a Gaijin, they do not expect it from you.

I was told it was important to bring an Omiyagi - gift - whenever visiting anyone for the first time. So, I brought gifts when taking lessons, usually Japanese crackers (these are all conveniently packaged and on sale everywhere for this reason). Some took the gifts naturally while others told me not to brings gifts. I learned that it was good to start with a gift and to bring a gift whenever returning from a trip but it was not neccessary if you have weekly lessons.

After some time, I began to understand a bit of Japanese culture (lots of reading in between the lines) and assimilated some of it. When I returned to the States, it was difficult not to say "Hai" with a little nod for "yes".

Travis Winegar wrote:

So, since the horse has been properly flogged, could any of you recommend a course of action for learning these things?  Be they books or websites or rabies-awareness pamplets from the local Humane Society, any would be helpful!

Thanks and Thanks again

I had a Lonely Planet pocket phrase book in my first weeks in Tokyo. That was a good place for simple tips. But, there are pretty thick books out there on Japanese etiquette if you really want to get into it.
Enjoy the reading,
Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-03-06 08:40:20)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2006-03-06 07:59:23

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

It is important to bow to one another at the beginning and end of the lesson. When you bow to the teacher it symbolizes bowing to the entire lineage. You are bowing to your teachers teacher, your teacher's teacher's teacher and so on down the line.

Other than that just be mindful and take your cues from the teacher. Teachers are different and it doesn't always break down along racial/national lines. Some are more formal than others. Some welcome questions. Others don't. In Japan traditionally you just play the music with the teacher without a lot of explanation. Some teachers have specific lengths of time (30 minutes, 45 minutes) you should not surpass, others keep going as long as they think you can keep absorbing information. If possible try to find another student who can advise you regarding how the teacher operates.

This may seem obvious, but it's nice not to show up drunk or high for the lesson. I have encountered this! Once a student showed up at the 10:00 AM lesson with a bottle of Zinfandel that was half empty already, offering some to me. I said, "Let's wait until after the lesson". He was somebody else's student so it was not my place to say too much. 

Some teachers allow you to specify whether you want to do seiza, sit in a western chair or stand during your lessons. Others you must sit seiza.

The most important things are to be prepared for your lesson. Teachers don't like to hear, "I was really busy this week so I didn't have time to practice." Use good posture. And try to be on time for the lesson if there is a specific time.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-03-06 11:04:14

Travis Winegar
Website

I feel better knowing that there is not much set in stone when it comes to behavior.  I may scrounge around for some info on general japanese etiquette just for my personal satisfaction.  Thanks for the advise!

"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw." – Shunryu Suzuki

Shakuhachi Search Engine

Board footer