Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-10-26 19:44:41

Mike Raftery

Hello shakuhachi brothers and sisters, its good to be here.  I have only recently (past 2 months) found the shakuhachi, and that is how I feel about it--I "found" it. And what a discovery!! I feel like I'm falling in love, I think about it all the time, how it makes me feel, its ability to produce such pleasant sensations and how deep affects me.  That's what I'm really turned on about right now, coming from a zen background, I can clearly experience its connection with this other tradition. And how it all relates to breath and posture.  After a particularly strong practice session of blowing long notes the other day, I was just a little surprised at how grateful I felt, my whole being radiated positive energy and I felt a deep reverence for this stick with holes in it. How it connected me to the world I only an hour before felt almost alienated from. What a wonderful beginning, would that the whole trip be so! Its good to be here with you all.

#2 2008-10-26 20:45:34

jaybeemusic

Re: new member

Welcome Mike and greetings from the other side of the continent!!!!

you have encountered "the great humbler" and if you're lucky he/she might let you make some beautiful music...

feel free to ask any questions....everyone here is really fabulous...

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#3 2008-10-27 03:15:23

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Mike
Welcome to the world of shakuhachi! It's lovely to hear your story. I think it has been quite similar for many of us. I was just discussing with a number of old Japanese gentlemen last night our love for the instrument, and glad to hear that what is most important for them as well as myself is the Zen aspect. Even though it left the temples over 100 years ago, it is inspiring to see this lasting effect and influence.

With beginner's mind, I hope this awe always accompanies you on your ongoing journey with shakuhachi.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#4 2008-10-27 21:53:25

Mike Raftery

Thanks Jacques and Justin for the Hey.  It really is so good to be here with you all.  I'm looking forward to a long, deepening relationship.

Board footer