Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-07 21:01:06

Karmajampa
Website

Inner hole bevel

I expect there are different schools regarding how much bevel to have inside the hole. I think I can notice a more immediate response to register shift with a strongly bevelled hole. I notice Monty has very strong bevels, but I also have an unknown 2.1 with seemingly no bevel on the lower side and 5°-10° on the upper edge, not much at all.

I want to explore the amount of bevel in my next few flutes and am interested in what others have noticed to be the effect of bevel.

I did presume that cutting out a stronger bevel in a thicker walled culm might have a drastic effect on some note tunings but have not noticed this yet. I have a good ear but am still tuning it in to the Shakuhachi sensitivities.

Thanks.
Kel     §

Kia Kaha !

#2 2006-03-08 11:17:04

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Inner hole bevel

Karmajampa wrote:

I expect there are different schools regarding how much bevel to have inside the hole. I think I can notice a more immediate response to register shift with a strongly bevelled hole. I notice Monty has very strong bevels, but I also have an unknown 2.1 with seemingly no bevel on the lower side and 5°-10° on the upper edge, not much at all.

I want to explore the amount of bevel in my next few flutes and am interested in what others have noticed to be the effect of bevel.

I did presume that cutting out a stronger bevel in a thicker walled culm might have a drastic effect on some note tunings but have not noticed this yet. I have a good ear but am still tuning it in to the Shakuhachi sensitivities.

Thanks.
Kel     §

Kel,

Personally, I usually prefer a strong bevel to the holes. Like you mentioned, I also find that it improves the response. However, I find it depends on what the particular flute calls for. Balance is the key here. Sometimes, a flute doesn't want to be open, fluid and powerful. So, decisions are made on the fly; kind of like "jazz cooking" without a recipe.

I also like to add a very slight bevel around the top circumference of the hole. It seems to help with partial hole fingerings and fluid playing.

Ken

#3 2006-03-08 11:38:34

Karmajampa
Website

"jazz cooking", now that does sound tasty !

Thanks Ken. I take it you regard a strong bevel as a kind of 'turbo charge' to the bore. perhaps more suited to a medium to wide flute that can take the extra blow.

Kel    §

Kia Kaha !

#4 2006-03-08 21:26:11

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Karmajampa wrote:

"jazz cooking", now that does sound tasty !

Thanks Ken. I take it you regard a strong bevel as a kind of 'turbo charge' to the bore. perhaps more suited to a medium to wide flute that can take the extra blow.

Kel    §

I'd say so Kel. I think it can be accomplished on thin bore shakuhachi, but a wider bore is certainly more forgiving and less of a 'dangerous' move.

Ken

(tonight it's Peruvian pork stew!)

Board footer