Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-16 20:57:08

airin
Website

longer flutes - tell me more

So I'm curious about the longer flutes.  Do they tend to play a lower sound?  How does one find the right length?  Specifically, at 5'4" what would be the limit in a long flute for me?  Some day I'd like to get an Earth flute made by Perry Yung....too soon now as I'm so much at the beginning stages...but curious minds want to know...

thanks,
Erin

#2 2008-11-16 22:43:15

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: longer flutes - tell me more

The longer the flute the lower the sound. There is no right (or wrong) length, just what you are able to feel comfortable with.  The word shakuhachi means isshaku hassun or one shaku eight sun in length, but most shakuhachi makers here in Japan also make flutes from about 1.6 (one shaku six sun, in the key of E -- which is used specifically to play some early 20th century pieces such as the popular  "Haru No Umi" ("Spring Sea") -- to 2.4 (nissaku  yonsun, base note of A), though some players favor even longer flutes.  John Kaizan Neptune makes and plays flutes of even longer lengths, perhaps to 3 shaku in length.  Tairaku also favors longer flutes.  Canadian shakuhachi master Alcvin Ramos, not a tall person, plays long flutes seemingly effortlessly with consummate skill.  It is said that Watazumi Do played incredibly long flutes using his toes to cover some of the holes...

#3 2008-11-17 02:31:00

Marc
Website

Toe jam!

Creative activity could be described as a type of learning process where teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

--Arthur Koestler

#4 2008-11-17 04:50:57

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Erin.

I began my shakuhachi journey on a 2.3. I got my first 1.8 after having played for more than 10 years.
I am 1m 60 ... and I always thought that was 5 feet 3 something, but a random internet converter tells me I am 5.299... so I am certainly smaller than you. I regularly play flutes up to 3.05 and now in the midst of practicing to play my 3.2. That will take me a while.
I LOVE the deep sounds of the longer shakuhachi although now I also appreciate having fun with shorter flutes. Before I began playing 1.8 I considered a 2.4 for a short flute - Just depends on what you are used to. smile
My flutes up to the 2.9 (which is the one I play on the first photo on my website) have the tone holes in a straight line. Larger than that I offset holes 3 and 5.
So... small women long flutes - no problem. It all depends on your arm length, size of hand and your willingness to practice for a while adapting to new playing positions and techniques. So when you are ready for it: Go for it ! ! !

Here is a little picture of me playing a 3.15
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/kikuday/kiku3.jpg

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-11-17 04:51:55)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2008-11-17 11:05:58

airin
Website

That's is really useful and interesting information Daniel and Kiku.  And good news!  I really like the idea of the deeper sounds of the longer flutes.  And it seems like there's quite a bit of potential in terms of length in spite of not being particularly tall. 

Oh that is indeed a long flute you are playing Kiku - right to the floor.  Impressive!

So when you talk about practicing the different playing techniques, how do they differ from the longer flutes?

#6 2008-11-17 13:23:58

Lorka

Hey Airin,

I'm sure you have already looked, but go to Perry Yung's website.  There you will see the hand/finger position best used on longer flutes.  Please, don't do what I did, and try to play a long flute the same way you play a 1.8.  Trust me.  Your hand will hurt for a week or two.  If you look at pretty much any video of Tiraku playing (including, I think, a 1.8) you will see this long flute hand position.  It is actually very comfortable.

I might get some cries of protest here, but the forum here seems (in general) to glorify long jinashi and downplay the 1.8 jiari, grudgingly accepting it almost as a 'necessary evil', a healthy requirment like being made to eat your vegetables as a child (you know they're good for you, but you still don't want to eat them).  I could be wrong.  That's just the general tone I get after having used the forum daily since I began shakuachi.   We have a "jinashi police" of sorts, but do we really have a "jiari police"?  Not so much.  Possibly Riley Lee, if I remember right.

Whatever the case may be, the 1.8 is your foundation, and is, as such, rather important.  You should explore jinashi for sure (it is very rewarding), but remember that the 1.8 became the defacto standard for a reason, and neglect of the 1.8 is probably a bad idea.  In other words, jinashi is not a replacement to the 1.8, but a fun compliment.  I get the sense that most of the long flute players also play 1.8s too as part of their core practice, so I guess they may offer similar advice.   

Whatever you decide though, please visit Perry's site, it will save you (quite literally) a whole lot of unecessary pain and suffering.  I hope to be getting a new jinashi some time myself.

Last edited by Lorka (2008-11-17 13:31:02)

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#7 2008-11-17 13:48:05

radi0gnome
Website

Lorka wrote:

I might get some cries of protest here, but the forum here seems (in general) to glorify long jinashi and downplay the 1.8 jiari, grudgingly accepting it almost as a 'necessary evil'

My favorite flute is a 2.4 jiari. I kind of think that there's a tendency for people to prefer long flutes, and most of them are jinashi, so it seems like it's a jinashi/jiari preference even though it really a long/short flute preference.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-11-17 13:48:46)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#8 2008-11-17 14:49:41

Seth

I'm 5'9" and find longer flutes very hard to play.  I just think my hands were not built with the needed reach.   

A story goes that there was a famous bansuri player who aspired to playing longer and longer flutes.  When he hit a limit on the stretch of his hands he simply pulled out a knife and committed a little self augmentation by cutting open the skin on between his pinky and ring finger.   I find this story hard to accept as true, but it's still a great tale.

As it has been said before - there is a bigger issue here than just a 2.4 makes deeper sounds.

When I hear great playing on a jiari  1.8, like from my sensei, James, I often think "How beautiful!  How lovely!" And when I hear great jinashi playing on a 2.4 or longer - say Okadu (sp?) I think : "How mesmerizing! How hypnotic!"

#9 2008-11-17 19:54:34

Kiku Day
Website

Lorka wrote:

I might get some cries of protest here, but the forum here seems (in general) to glorify long jinashi and downplay the 1.8 jiari, grudgingly accepting it almost as a 'necessary evil', a healthy requirment like being made to eat your vegetables as a child (you know they're good for you, but you still don't want to eat them).  I could be wrong.

Yes, I think you are wrong! smile
I personally began with longer flutes just by chance, but my 1.8 is the one I play mostly now... and most of us play the 1.8 most of the time.

Perhaps there is a fascination towards the longer flutes among the players on the forum. They look great and they sound great. So, when people talk about them, they may glorify them but that doesn't necessary mean they downplay or dismiss the 1.8. The 1.8 is the standard size and often it is the non-standard that gets into the tabloid news! It is after all what people are curious about that gets the questions, answers and discussions.
But that has nothing to do with downplaying or being negative towards the 1.8.

I can't see there has been any hint of jinashi vs jiari in this thread, I must admit. There are long jiari too. But because of the bore shape in longer flutes is in general are better balanced proportionally than in shorter flutes, the need to add ji is much less in longer flutes than in short ones. So from what I have observed they tend to become more jinashi when the flutes gets past 2.4. But that is the law by physics. Imagine to add ji to a 3.2. You need to make 4 joints.
So don't worry, Lorka. We all love and play the 1.8 a lot (well perhaps except the kyotaku players).

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#10 2008-11-17 20:12:30

Lorka

I like both too.  did not mean to suggest otherwise, was just suggesting not to forget about the 1.8 when straying into the long flutes (which I love)

Last edited by Lorka (2008-11-17 20:13:24)

~ Lao Tzu~

#11 2008-11-17 20:14:18

Zakarius

I just thought I'd mention for the sake of the beginners out there... if you're interested in a longer flute and lower sound, go for it! But you should try to find a size which isn't pushing your limits. It will certainly feel strange/uncomfortable when starting with a longer shakuhachi, but if it's at the long end of your physical range, the technical difficulty will increase dramatically. I'm 6'1" (183cm) and usually play my 2.8. I also have a 3.3 but the pieces with faster riffs just seem beyond my ability -- there's more strain on the fingers which makes crisp fingering changes a bit sluggish.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#12 2008-11-18 01:40:19

airin
Website

OK, here's another beginner's question that keeps coming to my mind.  Length, what exactly does it mean?

My shakuhachi if apparently a 1.8.   But when I measure it the measurement is 22 inches.  I realize the Japanese 'one foot, eight inches' was based on a slightly difference version of the 'foot' than that used now in the West.  So when someone says they enjoy playing a 2.3, what would the length of that be?   It should be 27 inches but then again a 1.8 should be 20 inches so....help....?!

#13 2008-11-18 08:51:34

radi0gnome
Website

airin wrote:

OK, here's another beginner's question that keeps coming to my mind.  Length, what exactly does it mean?

My shakuhachi if apparently a 1.8.   But when I measure it the measurement is 22 inches.  I realize the Japanese 'one foot, eight inches' was based on a slightly difference version of the 'foot' than that used now in the West.  So when someone says they enjoy playing a 2.3, what would the length of that be?   It should be 27 inches but then again a 1.8 should be 20 inches so....help....?!

I think 1.8 means 1 foot and 8 tenths of a foot, not 1 foot 8 inches.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#14 2008-11-18 09:37:21

Lorka

Until recently I thought the measurments were exact, i.e. all 1.8's are the same length.  If they were different, wouldn't they be another length, and therefore not 1.8? 

I have a monty and a beautiful black Inga 1.8 made by Derek van Choice (amazing guy).  Thing is, the monty is at least an inch longer than the Inga, but both play at the stadard Ro = D.  Both are "1.8's" but different lengths.  So that kind of makes things even more confusing.  I try not to think about it too much, as my head might explode.

~ Lao Tzu~

#15 2008-11-19 04:16:06

Kiku Day
Website

Erin,
A 2.3 would be ca 70 cm or 2.29 feet.
A 2.5 would be ca 76 cm or 2.49 feet.
A 2.7 would be ca 89 cm or 2.68 feet etc
I find these converters useful: www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Script.htm or www.onlineunitconversion.com/ell.English_to_shaku.html

There is 10 sun to a shaku. Shaku is a measuring unit used both in China and Japan (now not so much anymore and since the measure has changed over time I don't know if they are the same in these two countries). The shaku is not used anymore in Japan where they are using the metric system. 1 shaku is ca. 303 mm or 0.99 foot (I have never used imperial measurements of feet and inches so all that comes straight from the converter).

Now a days the pitch is more important than anything else. So, makers tune their flutes to a D. That means the length depends on the bore size and lots of other factors. So when talking about a 1.8 shakuhachi today, it rather means that the flute is tuned to D rather than having an exact length of 545.4396 mm.

It is important to choose the pieces you play according to the length of the flute. I would never play for example Tsuru no Sugomori on a 2.9. I play it on 2.1. I would never be able to play anything else than Kyore and, Shingetsu and other pieces in this style on my longest flute 3.2. I can't even imagine I would ever be able to play Shin-Kyorei on it. The longer the flute the slower is its reaction and the slower the player gets as well. So if you are interested in playing longer flutes it is a good idea to choose which pieces to play on it from your repertoire.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-11-19 04:22:33)

I am a hole in a flute
listen to this music
Hafiz

#16 2008-11-19 07:46:47

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lorka wrote:

Until recently I thought the measurments were exact, i.e. all 1.8's are the same length.  If they were different, wouldn't they be another length, and therefore not 1.8? 

I have a monty and a beautiful black Inga 1.8 made by Derek van Choice (amazing guy).  Thing is, the monty is at least an inch longer than the Inga, but both play at the stadard Ro = D.  Both are "1.8's" but different lengths.  So that kind of makes things even more confusing.  I try not to think about it too much, as my head might explode.

When you name a flute by length then you go only according to the length, not pitch. 1.8 can be either D or C# or anywhere in between depending on the bore size.

Naming by pitch is OK but then just say, "My D flute" or "My Ab flute".

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#17 2008-11-19 09:34:44

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

When you name a flute by length then you go only according to the length, not pitch. 1.8 can be either D or C# or anywhere in between depending on the bore size.

True enough, but in my experience the convention these days is to assume that when you call a flute a 1.4, it's pitched at F#, a 1.6 is E, a 1.8 is D, a 1.9 is C#, a 2.0 a C, a 2.1 a B, a 2.3 is a Bb, and a 2.4 is an A unless specifically named another pitch. Longer than 2.4 and things can get more murky.

Last edited by edosan (2008-11-19 09:36:42)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#18 2008-11-19 10:03:02

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

True enough, but in my experience the convention these days is to assume that when you call a flute a 1.4, it's pitched at F#, a 1.6 is E, a 1.8 is D, a 1.9 is C#, a 2.0 a C, a 2.1 a B, a 2.3 is a Bb, and a 2.4 is an A unless specifically named another pitch. Longer than 2.4 and things can get more murky.

That's my experience as well. So that the name fits to the nearest sun. For example 2.4 might actually be 2.43, but no-one will call it a 2.43, just a 2.4, and you know it is in A. Although I think in Tozan (?) they use a different system which no longer follows the actual length, just adding a sun for each pitch. The longer you go, the less sense that makes.

The old system was to make to the exact sun length. So a 2.0 was really 2.0 in length. In the Edo period there were basically no "long" shakuhachi as we know them today, and 2.0 was then "long" (2.3 would have been extreme). But the old 2.0s are generally not used nowadays, because they play sharp (could be 20 or 30 cents). Nowadays they are made about 3 bu longer than 2.0.

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#19 2008-11-19 10:18:37

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

There are long jiari too. But because of the bore shape in longer flutes is in general are better balanced proportionally than in shorter flutes, the need to add ji is much less in longer flutes than in short ones. So from what I have observed they tend to become more jinashi when the flutes gets past 2.4. But that is the law by physics. Imagine to add ji to a 3.2. You need to make 4 joints.
So don't worry, Lorka. We all love and play the 1.8 a lot (well perhaps except the kyotaku players).

I would say that fewer jiari makers know how to make good long shakuhachi, so perhaps due to that there are fewer long jiari in relation to jinashi, compared with shorter ones. That could be one factor but also because the demands for having stable, in tune balanced instruments is often tougher in the ensemble world than in the solo honkyoku world, and more of those longer instruments are for the honkyoku players.

It's not necessary to have 4 joints for adding ji to a 3.2. I had to remake 2 long shakuhachi for someone here in Japan. One was 2.8 and the other I think 2.7 or 2.6. The 2.8 was jinashi. But it was terrible - totally out of tune and no balance. It needed ji to make into a working instrument, and I was able to do that keeping it in one piece. The other one had ji from the beginning but was equally bad - worse actually - and I remade that, also keeping it in one piece. It is certainly far harder without having a joint, but, possible. Still, it might not be called a "jiari". Many would still call them jinashi (here in Japan) as there's not much ji there. To get the real perfect finish of a more "regular" so-called "jiari" would be a far greater challenge on such a long instrument. But I think one joint would suffice.

Justin

#20 2008-11-19 12:25:46

airin
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Erin,
A 2.3 would be ca 70 cm or 2.29 feet.
A 2.5 would be ca 76 cm or 2.49 feet.
A 2.7 would be ca 89 cm or 2.68 feet etc
I find these converters useful: www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Script.htm or www.onlineunitconversion.com/ell.English_to_shaku.html

There is 10 sun to a shaku. Shaku is a measuring unit used both in China and Japan (now not so much anymore and since the measure has changed over time I don't know if they are the same in these two countries). The shaku is not used anymore in Japan where they are using the metric system. 1 shaku is ca. 303 mm or 0.99 foot .

Thank you Kiku.  That explains it!

cheers,
Erin

#21 2008-11-19 16:25:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Sure.

When I'm discussing flutes with other collectors we say things like, "it's a 1.8 but plays like a 1.9" which translates as it's 1.8 in length but C# in pitch.

When discussing long flutes we usually say the length like 2.8, but we know the pitch can vary a lot at that length depending upon bore dimensions.

Yamaguchi Shugetsu gets very specific on his price tags, like "2.83 G 430" which means the flute is exactly 2.83 in length, around G in pitch but 10 cents flat of the 440 standard.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#22 2008-11-21 11:30:20

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Lorka wrote:

Until recently I thought the measurements were exact, i.e. all 1.8's are the same length.  If they were different, wouldn't they be another length, and therefore not 1.8?

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/shaktapemeasure.jpg
Here is my most used tool in the shop - my Shaku Tape Measure.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/root18tape.jpg
A 1.8 = 54.5.cm. My 1.8 made with Kinya is 54.5cm as is all of the Chikusen Tamai flutes I have come across. Most professional 1.8s are very very close to this measurement but deviating from it does not mean that the flute is not a great flute.  Makers who make by intuition will follow the calling of the flute.
Kiku wrote that the shaku is no longer used in Japan and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that many traditional Japanese carpenters still use shaku. I got my Shaku tape measure from a modern Japanese hardware store in Tokyo. I also was told that Kimono makers use shaku.

It seems to me that even the greater powers to be use shaku: Jet was born at 54.5cm in length!
http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/jetshaku2.jpg

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#23 2008-11-21 11:54:52

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Perry
The shaku used for cloth is a different shaku (different measurement) than the normal shaku. I think there are only those 2, cloth and normal. Yes, in the traditional crafts shaku is still in use.

Different makers make 1.8s at different lengths. I have seen many which are 1 bu (0.1 sun) longer than 1.8. Depends on the maker. They all want to play at D, and that is usually using A=442. (This is less simple than it seems as different players play at different pitches).

Justin

#24 2008-11-21 13:47:23

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Justin,

Justin wrote:

Hi Perry
The shaku used for cloth is a different shaku (different measurement) than the normal shaku. I think there are only those 2, cloth and normal. Yes, in the traditional crafts shaku is still in use.

Justin

I suspected something like that. I purchased an old wooden shaku ruler once from a Kimono seller at the Roppongi flea market. When I got it home, it didn't "measure up".

Peace, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#25 2008-11-21 20:20:19

Alex

Hey Perry!

Talk about sincronicities! Little Jet being born at 1.8! That's amazing!! smile

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer