Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-20 14:58:30

david

john niemi

Does anyone know who John Niemi is and if he is still making shakuhachi?
The first shakuhachi i ever bought was made by him. It's a 1.8. I bought it for around $7. I couldn't even play it for about 2 years. It decievingly looks like a very cheap toy flute. Only 3 nodes, the utaguchi is not cut on a node, very thin black bamboo. A very bad first flute to learn on. But it is now one of my favorite flutes. very sweet and a perfect pentatonic scale! I can't believe how perfect the notes sound!
So I was wondering if he makes proffesional quality flutes?

david
'Listen to the words of no man; listen only to the sounds of the wind and the waves of the sea.,~Claude Debussy

#2 2008-11-20 19:21:10

edosan
Edomologist

Re: john niemi

david wrote:

The first shakuhachi i ever bought was made by him. It's a 1.8. I bought it for around $7. I couldn't even play it for about 2 years. It decievingly looks like a very cheap toy flute. Only 3 nodes, the utaguchi is not cut on a node, very thin black bamboo. A very bad first flute to learn on. But it is now one of my favorite flutes. very sweet and a perfect pentatonic scale! I can't believe how perfect the notes sound!

Pretty sure he's not making flutes of any kind (and has never made professional quality flutes). He shut down his website
at least 3 years ago, and doesn't show up on a Google search.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-11-20 23:25:44

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

He sold most of his wood to Ken LaCosse who is now making excellent flutes out of it.

If you want one of his flutes I have a 2.7 he made me about 12 years ago which is probably among his better efforts. I'd sell it for $300.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-11-21 09:35:36

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi David,

david wrote:

A few of his root end flutes came to me for tweaking in the past. Some were better than others (which is the case for all makers). They were all Hocchiku - all natural - style. They all looked like they had the touch of someone who liked to work with his/her hands. I never played his Black Bamboo flutes though.

There's nothing like a nice playing inexpensive shakuhachi!

I recall reading about his flute making philosophy a while back when he had a website. He seemed to be into the most natural kind of flute. He wrote something about not caring enough about Western pitch to chop a flute in half.

edosan wrote:

Pretty sure he's not making flutes of any kind (and has never made professional quality flutes). He shut down his website
at least 3 years ago, and doesn't show up on a Google search.

Tairaku wrote:

He sold most of his wood to Ken LaCosse who is now making excellent flutes out of it.

I bet he's got a stash... and he's just taking his sweet time. wink

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2008-11-21 21:54:33

waryr

I have one of John's flutes, a 2.3 that is excellent. His flutes are definitely hocciku. They are all natural, and the utaguchi is cut at a different angle than my other flutes. It plays fine, however.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

Board footer