• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Embouchure and other instruments beside shakuhachi

#1 2008-12-02 18:03:14

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Embouchure and other instruments beside shakuhachi

Hi there,

I couldn't find a post on this topic, but it puzzles me: I play beside the shakuhachi an other instrument (in my case tenor-saxophone). Would this be problematic for building up the 'right' embouchure. When playing sax -or another wind instrument- you use your mouth-muscles in a different position 'training' them for that purpose. On the shakuhachi the embouchure is different.
Do you have experience with using more than one wind instrument? And is the embouchure you require for both an addition or a problem? (or none of those 2 options).

greetings,

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#2 2008-12-02 18:36:27

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Embouchure and other instruments beside shakuhachi

I'm not sure what shakuhachi teachers would have to say, but silver flute teachers generally say that playing sax isn't good for a flute embouchure. However, there are plenty of sax/flute doublers around and while it might be true that some would be even more brilliant flute players if they forgot about their paycheck and stuck exclusively to flute, they play flute very well. The silver flute embouchure isn't all that different than shakuhachi so if there is any truth that sax isn't good for silver flute players, it's probably also true for shakuhachi players. As an amatuer, I have problems playing flute/shakuhachi/ney after playing sax, but as soon as my lips become a little less numb I have no problems.   It probably depends on the level of playing you are aspiring towards, if you want to get up there at the top virtuoso levels, maybe it would be better to stick exclusively to flutes.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2008-12-02 18:48:39

Jim Thompson

Hi Bas,
     This question gets asked in many different forms. One example: Will my classical playing hurt my jazz playing or vice versa? The answer is that one does not hurt the other. It just requires twice as much practice. Playing the sax won't hurt your shakuhachi embouchure. Playing the sax and not practicing the shakuhachi will. If you want to sound good on both you have to practice both.
                           Happy doubling
                               Jim

Last edited by Jim Thompson (2008-12-02 18:49:38)

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#4 2008-12-02 19:56:12

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jim Thompson wrote:

. . If you want to sound good on both you have to practice both.

Jim

lol

Quote of the week!

I had some trouble once when I was doubling shakuhachi and didgeridoo. Didge numbed my lips and made it difficult to switch quickly back to shakuhachi , so I don't try that anymore.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2008-12-02 21:41:45

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Bas, I played the silver flute on a theater production on and off of a few years. On the later productions, I replaced the silver flute with the shakuhachi for some specific scenes in the show. I found it extremely difficult at first, playing both instruments back to back in performance. Then I realized that I had to practice the switches, not just the pieces of music.
Here's an old thread that discusses different embouchures - http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … d=699#p699

And yes, it's important to practice both as Jim says. A funny thing though. after I got more serious with shakuhachi, I noticed that it made my silver flute tone much better.

best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-12-02 21:45:28)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2008-12-02 23:12:28

radi0gnome
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

And yes, it's important to practice both as Jim says. A funny thing though. after I got more serious with shakuhachi, I noticed that it made my silver flute tone much better.

This is true. My first experience with shakuhachi was when Robert Dick showed me some and what he was doing. I'm not sure and don't remember if he said they helped his tone, but they probably did, and I know he got some of his ideas for extended flute techniques from shakuhachi. I find that practicing any one of the 3 flutes, shakuhachi, ney, and transverse flute, helps with the embouchure and breath support with the other instruments. For example, if I get stuck at a dead end with ney and don't feel like I'm getting the sound to improve, picking up the shakuhachi for a few days helps when I go back to ney. Fingerings and tunes are another issue, it might help a little playing the different fingering systems on each instrument for flexability, but the biggest benefit from this "cross-training" I believe is tone production. Same goes for short/long flutes of the same type, I think puting down the short flute for a while and concentrating on the longer flute helps with the shorter instrument when I get back to it and vice-versa.

BTW, I don't totally agree with sax and flute that the key is simply to practice both. With sax you're using muscles to clamp down on a mouthpiece but with flute you're using muscles to create a tiny hole. It's two different things and I can easily see where practicing shakuhachi for one hour and then practicing sax for one hour might not give you the same rate of improvement as practicing just shakuhachi one hour day. I'm fairly certain though that there are some amazing musicians out there who can crank out tunes on both a lot better than I'll ever be able to even if I concentrated on just one. Call it talent, or maybe that they just know how to practice better, but I'm amazed at what a lot of musicians accomplish.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-12-03 07:31:33)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#7 2008-12-03 11:30:34

Bruce Hunter

The embouchure for silver flute and shakuhachi are differnt, at least for me. When I first started shakuhahchi, my prolonged inability to produce any tone at all on a shakuhachi was due entirely to me trying to play shakuhachi with a flute embouchure, which I found out, when, after a particularly frustrating session, I gave a big sigh, and a note came booming out.

There are a lot of uninformed so-called instrumental instructors out there who insist on the "playing any other instrument" mantra, conveniently forgetting about all those professional pit doublers, triplers, quadruplers, etc.

On my next college band concert I'm doubling on CC Tuba and Bassoon, and it's only a double, so I don't consider it particularly noteworthy. I have had concerts with more instruments and more instrument "families" involved, so it's do-able, you just have to practice the changes and rehearse the choreography, so to speak.

I kind of look forward to visits to the dentist because I rush back to the teaching studio to find out how many different instruments I can play while my mouth is still numb. It's amazing what muscle memory will do for you.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#8 2008-12-03 14:31:15

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Thanks for the reply's!, and Perry, I didn't find that link, which was about a similar question indeed.
The numbness I also have after just playing the sax (or didge which I have one of as well). But that will pass. Maybe its more about training the muscle memory then embouchure perse (like muscle strength). maybe its all about the muscle memory...
I like the shakuhachi more, although on sax it is easer do to nice stuff faster (and on didge faster still). So I'll keep practicing the shakuhachi more.
and Bruce...how many instrument can you play after being to the dentist...?(fortunately my mouth being numb from the dentist was 10 years ago).

greetings

Bas

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#9 2008-12-03 23:19:09

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

BTW, I don't totally agree with sax and flute that the key is simply to practice both. With sax you're using muscles to clamp down on a mouthpiece but with flute you're using muscles to create a tiny hole. It's two different things and I can easily see where practicing shakuhachi for one hour and then practicing sax for one hour might not give you the same rate of improvement as practicing just shakuhachi one hour day. I'm fairly certain though that there are some amazing musicians out there who can crank out tunes on both a lot better than I'll ever be able to even if I concentrated on just one. Call it talent, or maybe that they just know how to practice better, but I'm amazed at what a lot of musicians accomplish.

One of the other musicians on that production also played shakuhachi,. We needed a trombone player on one production and he could have doubled on trombone but he said that he could not play shakuhachi after playing trombone. Some musician know their limits.

Bas, I have a Mac computer, If I click on the link on my previous thread #5, it will g to the discussion.

best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2008-12-04 08:42:36)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#10 2008-12-04 09:45:05

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Perry; I mean to have written: I didn't find that link before you mentioned it...Now I have!
So when I click on it, I will go there as well smile

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#11 2008-12-04 16:37:01

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

You come across this "problem" in just playing the shakuhachi itself. You don't need to switch instruments.  The embouchure you develop will depend on the sound you want. The sound you want depends on the type of music are learning (playing) and the flute you are playing.  The embouchure used for making the sound that is used for old school Kinko Kokyoku and Kinko solos is different then what you need for modern koto/shakuhachi, which is different than Yokoyama style Honkyoku, which is different than Meain style honkyoku, which is different than Minyo style, etc.etc.  There is a certain existing sound aesthetic that comes along with these styles, that has been developed over time and is still being preserved through traditions. That's a big part of the transmission and the reason it's so difficult to study more than one style at a time.  The transmission of sound creates the embouchure not the other way around. This is natural.  That's why it's not only important to have the appropriate flute to play the style, it's important to develop the appropriate embouchure that produces the sound that's being transmitted.  Because of these differences, you can understand that if you are testing a flute and you play a flute made for Meian style honkyoku but you blow it with a Kinko style embouchure the flute will not respond well. So, if you try to blow a shakuhachi with an embouchure created by playing flute or saxaphone, you're blowing up the wrong tree, so to speak. You'll have to play shakuhachi a long time and be very aware of the differences in embouchure. This is hard to do as the differences appear consciously only after the embouchures are developed, which happens after you know what kind of shakuhachi sound you want to produce and then produce it.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#12 2008-12-04 17:19:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Good point Michael.

Another thing is that if you use more than one flute, particularly if they are from different eras, lengths and ryu, those flutes will force you to use different embouchures.

#13 2008-12-04 17:23:33

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Chikuzen, you speak directly to my heart.
I have reached the same conclusions (and I am sure many other long time shakuhachi players listening with an open heart would agree as well). It is very hard to speak about 'a good sound' on shakuhachi because there are so many 'good sounds' - depending on, as you say, what style of music and flute you play.
It is very interesting to notice this timbre difference depending on style. For people who are newer to shakuhachi than us 'oldies'.... try to listen out for this when listening to especially live performances (but also recordings) of different ryuha or genres of shakuhachi music. There is a whole world out there to explore and it is fascinating!
Transmission is indeed very important. Sometimes I meet people who have studied Watazumi style from recordings. No matter how 'perfectly' they play the recorded phrases and phrasing, they never sound like Watzumi to me because of... timbre and blowing technique. To me it is especially the blowing technique and timbre that reveals the belonging to a particular group through the transmission from teachers. This is not to dismiss studying Watazumi or others from recordings. There is a lot to learn from recordings, so we all do it.

Another camelion-like instrument like the shakuhachi is the saxophone. There is a world's difference in timbre when the sax is used in bebop, swing, classical etc.

Good night! smile

Last edited by Kiku Day (2008-12-04 17:24:19)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#14 2008-12-04 17:43:29

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

That is a good tip Kiku Day! I'll try to listen to the differences.
Not knowing the differences in embouchure makes it hard for a beginner, but that will probalby come in due time...(or I hope so)
For a big part I think its re-conditioning your muscle memory to a good embouchure (suited for the music, flute...)
like I play now, I notice I am not playing really relaxed, my corners of my mouth tend to go outward a little and up a little (automatic, even when trying not to) I guess that's the sax embouchure conditioning kicking in...And I 'do' it because it makes blowing by example kan-notes easier then when I don't put more tension in my mouth area.

Bas

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#15 2008-12-05 00:51:16

edosan
Edomologist

Looky here:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5030/blowingsmile9mq.jpg

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#16 2008-12-05 08:12:39

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

The players in the foto's seem to be doing what I am doing...(but are miles better in doing it smile) but it doesn't seem to be a relaxed embouchure, more of 'a stretched' and tensed one in my view. Well maybe my teacher is right to not to pay too much attention to it and just play the flute (with good breathing and posture) until it sounds good.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#17 2008-12-05 10:41:53

edosan
Edomologist

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

The players in the foto's seem to be doing what I am doing...(but are miles better in doing it smile) but it doesn't seem to be a relaxed embouchure, more of 'a stretched' and tensed one in my view. Well maybe my teacher is right to not to pay too much attention to it and just play the flute (with good breathing and posture) until it sounds good.

Yup.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#18 2008-12-05 16:58:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

A lot of "modern" playing involves a very tight embouchure. Some players take this too far and their sound is pinched. There is a wide range of lip tension in shakuhachi playing. The lip tension, angle of blowing and force of blowing are the three factors which determine pitch. Someone with a very loose embouchure who blows softly will play flat of the player who is forceful and keeps his lips tight. Some modern players then lower the pitch by playing meri. It's all a matter of balance.

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Embouchure and other instruments beside shakuhachi

Board footer