Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-03 12:13:03

mattmarchese

New Purchase & Expectations

For the past year, I've been learning and playing on a Yuu shakuhachi, and I've loved it. No real complaints at all; though now I'd like to move up to an actual bamboo shakuhachi, and am considering a student-model Teihei. My question is: What kind of improvements in sound and ease-of-play should I realistically expect from an upgrade to a less-than-pro level shakuhachi. Are the differences in the tone and play of a Yuu and a student-grade bamboo instrument drastic, or should I be expecting more of a subtle, esoteric change? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 2008-12-03 13:41:06

edosan
Edomologist

Re: New Purchase & Expectations

To be honest, I have never played a Yuu, but consider this:

Monty (maker of Taihei shakuhachi) takes Yuu flutes and, for a fee, enhances them.

All of Monty's flutes, even the student-level ones, are crafted with the same technology: using bore profiles of known well-performing
     flutes, the difference between the student and pro flutes being root-end culms and more effort put into voicing in the latter.

I've played many of Monty's flutes, even early ones, and they all have excellent intonation.

The most important variable in getting the most and best out of a shakuhachi—any shakuhachi—is the skill and experience of the player.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-12-03 13:56:38

radi0gnome
Website

I've never tried a Yuu either, or a TeiHei cast bore but I have one of Monty's earlier shakuhachi. But, from what I've read, the Yuu is a good playing instrument but heavy. Since both flutes are going for standard 1.8 dimensions the sound should be somewhere near the same but the the TeiHei will probably be much lighter. It'll probably feel a lot different too, maybe you'll feel the vibrations some under your fingers (plastic flutes are notorious for damping those). If you've stuck to shakuhachi for a full year I'd have to think that it's a worthwhile upgrade even if your listening audience may not notice the difference.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2008-12-03 14:14:50

Karmajampa
Website

I have a Tai Hei 1.8 and it is as heavy as the Yuu, but not all Monty's flutes are so heavy. I prefer a lighter flute but this 1.8 is a good player. I make my own flutes which are much lighter.
If you can test blow as many flutes as you can I would suggest that, and don't rush it.
Many flute makers will give you a week trial if you pay the postage and cost and refund the cost if you are not satisfied.
You might like to go a bit longer like a 2.1 or so.
Tairaku Brian Ritchie sells second hand flutes, talk to him.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2008-12-03 17:25:37

madoherty

I have a Yuu, have had a student-level Tai Hei, and currently play a pro-level Tai Hei as my main 1.8....
When you move to bamboo you are entering the world of organics, rather than the molded plastic.  This means that there is a variation to every flute, timbre, feel, and intonation.  You will get more of a bamboo sound from Monty's flutes, though I can here the difference between a cast bore and a lacquered bamboo bore (my hearing is extremely sensitive, and you may pay no mind to it).

I am sure that all of Monty;s flutes are different, though one thing that I have experienced is that his flutes are more "stout" than others- including the Yuu.  A Tai Hei will most likely have a wider mouth, and resonance than the Yuu.  The Tai Hei will most likely have broader strokes of sound- more depth of resonance in the lower harmonics.

In terms of sound and playability, I liked the student-level Tai Hei more than the Yuu, HOWEVER, this could be because I am used to playing my "pro" Tai Hei.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me directly.
Best,
Michael

Last edited by madoherty (2008-12-03 23:25:52)

#6 2008-12-03 18:52:00

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Should expect a subtle, esoteric change, the change of feeling to the touch of the hands, and again a subtle change that occurs from a bamboo flute to another, even in the Monty's flutes (it's good to be careful about the difference between Tei Hei and Tai Hei, since I saw a maker that is called Tei Hei, different from Monty's Tai Hei...anyway, when we talk about Monty flutes, everybody who likes shakuhachi in the world know what we are talking about)...

Go to where life is a Living Tresaure, go to the subtle world of bamboo!!!

A big hug and peace!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#7 2008-12-04 09:09:43

mattmarchese

Thanks for the info! It sounds like an interesting change for the price (my budget's around $500 or less). I know I definitely want to upgrade to a bamboo instrument at some point in the near future. Regardless of what model instrument I end up playing, I've certainly got a lot more to learn about how to play it. Thanks again!

#8 2008-12-04 19:39:15

jdanza
Website

Hello Matt... Something that has not been mentioned and you may want to be prepared for... A bamboo flute has a lot more "personality" and you may well find it a bit harder to play than the Yuu. Weather conditions, humidity, etc., affect the playablity from moment to moment, literally. The beauty of the Yuu is that she's always ready and willing  smile.  I live in Canada and I have chosen to perform live on the Yuu sometimes over much superior flutes, for instance at open air festivals where my good Shakuhachi may start "acting up".
  Anyway... it's all worth it!. Once you choose your instrument you'll have the best of both worlds.
Best luck on your journey.

#9 2008-12-04 22:32:01

Karmajampa
Website

A Jinashi shakuhachi may give you a wide change in timbre and playability to the Yuu, and you should be able to get a reasonable one for $500, Perry Yung is very helpful.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

Board footer