World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-04 03:35:25

Karmajampa
Website

bright tone vs. dark tone ?

My question is 'what causes a bright tone or dark tone in a Shakuhachi ?'
My first observation is that it seems that a flute with a wide bell will give a bright tone and a narrow bell will give a darker tone. I think a bright tone is giving greater volume to the harmonics of that note. In a dark tone the harmonics are subdued.
What has just happened to me making a 2.0 flute with an aspect ratio of 29, the flute measures 617mm with a nice taper and about 14mm choke and maybe 16mm bell, Ro was 'dark', Tsu was dark then Re comes out bright. Holes initially 10.5mm dia. and bevelled. Chi darkish, also with Ri.
But the brightness of Re is a bit of a mystery. It seems now that I can't have a dark toned flute, that I have to bring up the brightness of the darker notes, I opened the bell a bit, from the end to the choke, plus there is a node between holes 1 and 2, so I have tried to make sure this is not choking also. This, I think has balanced things a bit but not enough.
Why does one hole suddenly have a totally different tone. It seems easier to brighten a note than darken it. I am referring to the Otsu register, Kan is balanced and easy to get. I am thinking that those particular harmonics are being boosted by the area between the choke and bell, relative to the flute length, perhaps this section is slightly narrow and those frequencies are amplified. Interesting.

Any thoughts welcome.

Kel.

Last edited by Karmajampa (2008-12-04 05:28:00)

Kia Kaha !

#2 2008-12-04 05:33:02

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Re: bright tone vs. dark tone ?

The general character of the flute is going to be determined by the top part, not the bottom, which only really enters into the equation when you are playing ro or tsu. The greater part of the sound is vented through the first open tone hole, with the rest of the bore acting as a sort of high-pass filter. Most of the tonal quality of the flute is thus developed in the top 1/3 of the instrument, with the rest of the flute balancing the general response of the notes as more of the bore comes in to play as the holes are covered.

A brighter tone is generally indicative of stronger partials as compared to fundamental, but it is difficult to tell what is going on without hearing it. If I were you I would check the bore at the nodal points for the partials of re, which occur at 1/2 the length from the utaguchi to the re fingerhole, then 1/3, 1/4 and 1/5, for the 1st-4th partials. You might also have an issue with the bore which is inhibiting the general sounding of the re fundamental. Is the note weak compared to the others? How is kan no re as compared to the other kan notes?

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2008-12-04 05:35:24)

#3 2008-12-04 09:33:26

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi kel

Karmajampa wrote:

My question is 'what causes a bright tone or dark tone in a Shakuhachi ?'

It has been said many times that a flute is incomplete without it's player.  That being said, it is true that some flutes can exhibit strong, insistent character.

My first observation is that it seems that a flute with a wide bell will give a bright tone and a narrow bell will give a darker tone. I think a bright tone is giving greater volume to the harmonics of that note. In a dark tone the harmonics are subdued.
What has just happened to me making a 2.0 flute with an aspect ratio of 29, the flute measures 617mm with a nice taper and about 14mm choke and maybe 16mm bell, Ro was 'dark', Tsu was dark then Re comes out bright. Holes initially 10.5mm dia. and bevelled. Chi darkish, also with Ri.
But the brightness of Re is a bit of a mystery.

If the other holes are the same size and finished the same way, then one of the resonance spots in the bore for Re might be a bit narrow.

It seems now that I can't have a dark toned flute, that I have to bring up the brightness of the darker notes, I opened the bell a bit, from the end to the choke, plus there is a node between holes 1 and 2, so I have tried to make sure this is not choking also. This, I think has balanced things a bit but not enough. It is possible to adjust one note for timber or tone color. the obvious place would be at the finger hole. How the hole is fashioned - undercut, beveled smooth, rough - walled etc... - affects the tone color to some degree.

A few weeks ago, I had a repair come in with very dirty finger holes. They were encrusted with years of oil and dust build up. Once I sanded the crust off, the notes sounded brighter.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/dusthole1.jpg
Heres the hole after I sanded the crust off.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/dusthole3.jpg
After the coat of urushi, I noticed a brighter sound. One way to make RE darker may be to do something to the hole itself or in the bore just inside the hole.

Why does one hole suddenly have a totally different tone. It seems easier to brighten a note than darken it. I am referring to the Otsu register, Kan is balanced and easy to get. I am thinking that those particular harmonics are being boosted by the area between the choke and bell, relative to the flute length, perhaps this section is slightly narrow and those frequencies are amplified. Interesting.

Could be, lots of fascinating things happening in the bore, especially with different finger combinations. (notice how Ou feels different with the different fingerings).  All I can say use a tuning bead or small wet pieces of paper and poke around to see what happens.

That's always good for a few hours (or days) of fun!
Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-12-04 14:09:38

Karmajampa
Website

Toby and Perry, thanks for your interest.
This is strictly Jinashi making using 'black' bamboo, this one has a good amount of meat at the root end relative to its quite thin wall further up. I wonder that in thinner walled culms there is more variation in cross-sectional area along the bore.
Toby, you present some useful thinking there regarding upper and lower bore, I will take that into closer consideration. With Re no kan, if anything it seems to want to break back to otsu. Playing the otsu scale, Re stands out, I can push tsu, chi and Ri and get a similar brighter tone, or hold back on Re. Ro otsu is dark and I am going to gently open the lower end and watch it brighten, plus it needs slight sharpening. And look at the partial divisions in the upper region. I like the analogy to hi-pass filter, have to think on that one. I am still curious as to what promotes the partial volume to increase, and in this case, is it the relative narrowness of the lower region. I may soon find out.
Perry, this brightness was apparent immediatly after opening that hole, 3,4 and 5 had yet to be opened. Only significant difference to Tsu is that tsu has a deeper chimney, so the bevelling is different. I agree with your observations on surface texture, especially around the holes, I also like to keep my bamboo blowing edge clean and as smooth as possible, though I find the vertical fibre of bamboo is uneven in hardness, giving a slightly scerated edge.
Have not been too successful with the bead or newspaper approach, this may be a good flute to apply the beads to, I have made some threads.

Okay, back to the office.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#5 2009-02-20 22:19:44

Alan Adler

I'm not sure what is meant by brighter and darker, so I'll speak in terms of harmonics.

Generally I find that smaller bores are more reedy (stronger harmonics).  Conversely larger bores may be louder but have weaker harmonics. 

The largest square bore I tried (1 inch square) was especially dead sounding on the lowest note (D).  I made a bell (funnel) for the end which perked up the D considerably.

I also perked up D on a 7/8" round bore flute the same way.

Conversely I made a 0.94" square bore flute which had an excessively reedy D.  In fact it was somewhat raspy.  I cured that with a plug in the end which reduced the last half-inch of length to half-inch diameter.

In all of the three examples above, I was only modifying the lowest note, though in all cases D sounds through an unreachable D hole, not just the open end of the flute.

As I mentioned in a post in the new members section, I've lately been adding an unreachable C# hole below the D hole.  Thus all notes (even the lowest) sound through at least two holes.  So far I've not had to resort to bells or plugs with this scheme.

Best,

Alan

#6 2009-02-21 02:11:18

Karmajampa
Website

Alan, those sound like what I understand  to be 'tuning' holes, shortening the length of the bore. I can't see how you can get   D, that you will always get the lowest open hole. . C# I have a Xiao, 750mm long, the lower section has three pairs of holes that influence tone but not pitch. I don't know just how these holes work   sonically.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#7 2009-02-21 03:26:18

radi0gnome
Website

I think I understand. The C# hole if closed will sound a C#. However, since it's unreachable it's always open and placed such that a D will sound when it's open.

I'm not sure that what Alan is doing with shakuhachi in this respect is desireable. With all holes closed on a traditional shakuhachi the Ro (D on a 1.8) sounds fatter than all the other notes. In an ideal world, all the notes on the shakuhachi would sound like that. But it's not an ideal world and shakuhachi players have grown to accept that Ro is the fattest note and like the idea that they have at least one big, fat note on the instrument. Basically what you have done, Alan, is to take away from the best note to make all the notes sound the same.

Shakuhachi music is very tolerant of and even plays with the fact that not all the notes sound the same. This is unlike Western silver flute where the player has goal is to make all the notes sound the same. The way you do that is not by playing the naturally stronger notes weaker, but by playing the weaker notes stronger. This is a skill the silver flute player strives to develop. Traditional shakuhachi, with only 5 holes, will never be able to play all the notes as evenly as silver flute that has lots of large holes and keywork to open the correct ones, and that is accepted.

I tend to think that if you want the shakuhachi to play more evenly, rather than making the strongest note weaker you might want to make the weaker notes stronger. You could do this by using larger holes, but without covering them with keys you're pretty much limited to the 10 or 11 mm found on traditional shakuhachi because most peoples fingers can't cover anything much larger.

One thing I notice about your experimental shakuhachi is that they look an awful lot like pennywhistles. You might want to prototype one that plays a D diatonic scale and get it to a shakuhachi playing penny whistler, there are I think at least a couple here on the forum, to see what they think of it.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#8 2009-02-21 18:35:42

Alan Adler

radi0gnome wrote:

I think I understand. The C# hole if closed will sound a C#. However, since it's unreachable it's always open and placed such that a D will sound when it's open.

I'm not sure that what Alan is doing with shakuhachi in this respect is desireable. With all holes closed on a traditional shakuhachi the Ro (D on a 1.8) sounds fatter than all the other notes. In an ideal world, all the notes on the shakuhachi would sound like that. But it's not an ideal world and shakuhachi players have grown to accept that Ro is the fattest note and like the idea that they have at least one big, fat note on the instrument. Basically what you have done, Alan, is to take away from the best note to make all the notes sound the same.

Shakuhachi music is very tolerant of and even plays with the fact that not all the notes sound the same. This is unlike Western silver flute where the player has goal is to make all the notes sound the same. The way you do that is not by playing the naturally stronger notes weaker, but by playing the weaker notes stronger. This is a skill the silver flute player strives to develop. Traditional shakuhachi, with only 5 holes, will never be able to play all the notes as evenly as silver flute that has lots of large holes and keywork to open the correct ones, and that is accepted.

I tend to think that if you want the shakuhachi to play more evenly, rather than making the strongest note weaker you might want to make the weaker notes stronger. You could do this by using larger holes, but without covering them with keys you're pretty much limited to the 10 or 11 mm found on traditional shakuhachi because most peoples fingers can't cover anything much larger.

One thing I notice about your experimental shakuhachi is that they look an awful lot like pennywhistles. You might want to prototype one that plays a D diatonic scale and get it to a shakuhachi playing penny whistler, there are I think at least a couple here on the forum, to see what they think of it.

To be precise, when my D hole is closed, the open C# hole sounds C#.  It's true that I was stiving to make the timbre of all my notes more similar.  But despite my efforts and extra holes, my lowest notes still have a richer, more powerful and more resonant timbre.  They are the most pleasing notes produced by my flutes.

With regard to pennywhistles:  They rely on cross-fingering.  My flutes do not respond well to cross-fingering.  When I cover the hole below the sounding hole there is very little pitch change, although the sound is seriously muted. 

I do not completely understand why my flutes respond so slightly to cross-fingering.  My large bore is one factor.  But I also think that cross-fingered instruments suffer from muting of the cross-fingered notes.

Best,

Alan

#9 2009-02-21 20:20:51

radi0gnome
Website

Alan Adler wrote:

To be precise, when my D hole is closed, the open C# hole sounds C#.  It's true that I was stiving to make the timbre of all my notes more similar.

OK, so I guess it's not a traditional shakuhachi tuning, maybe it wasn't a good idea to assume that it was considering they are experimental flutes. From what you're saying the note that sounds when you have all the reachable holes closed is a C#, and when you lift the bottom-most finger a D sounds. Some of my confusion stems from the fact that some people would call the D hole the hole that you close to get a D while others would say that the D hole is the one you open to get a D. I'm not sure which is more correct.     

Alan Adler wrote:

But despite my efforts and extra holes, my lowest notes still have a richer, more powerful and more resonant timbre.  They are the most pleasing notes produced by my flutes.

But is that because low notes in general are more pleasing or is it the nature of the flute? The test for this to determine if the second register note with all holes closed sounds better than the note below it with all holes open. If it does, as with most flutes, it's the flute and not the common opinion that lower notes are more pleasing. If it doesn't, I'd say you at least partially succeeded in your attempt to make the notes even in tonality across the range of the flute.   

Alan Adler wrote:

With regard to pennywhistles:  They rely on cross-fingering.  My flutes do not respond well to cross-fingering.  When I cover the hole below the sounding hole there is very little pitch change, although the sound is seriously muted.

I do not completely understand why my flutes respond so slightly to cross-fingering.  My large bore is one factor.  But I also think that cross-fingered instruments suffer from muting of the cross-fingered notes.

The explanation I heard as to why cross-fingerings work on baroque flutes but not Irish flutes is that baroque flutes have small holes. I read in another one of your posts that you have worked with a baroque flute maker, you could always verify that with him. 

I still think it would be great if you could get a penny-whistle/shakuhachi hybrid to work. I have an Irish-flute/shakuhachi hybrid that is great for slow Irish airs. I have problems with holding the flute vertically and reaching the holes that are placed for Irish flute diatonic tuning though. I can do it, but it hurts and because of that I never played the flute all that much.

BTW, some penny-whistles respond better than others to cross-fingerings and even the ones that respond well often work best with different cross-fingerings than work best on other penny-whistles that respond well to cross-fingerings. Also, the only cross-fingering you need to get working on a penny-whistle is the one to bring the "all holes open" C# down to a C. That enables the player to be able to play in both D and G. It's really the only commonly used cross-fingering and the only one that would be a requirement for most players.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#10 2009-02-21 23:31:35

Alan Adler

radi0gnome wrote:

OK, so I guess it's not a traditional shakuhachi tuning, maybe it wasn't a good idea to assume that it was considering they are experimental flutes. From what you're saying the note that sounds when you have all the reachable holes closed is a C#, and when you lift the bottom-most finger a D sounds. Some of my confusion stems from the fact that some people would call the D hole the hole that you close to get a D while others would say that the D hole is the one you open to get a D. I'm not sure which is more correct.   

The explanation I heard as to why cross-fingerings work on baroque flutes but not Irish flutes is that baroque flutes have small holes. I read in another one of your posts that you have worked with a baroque flute maker, you could always verify that with him.

Hi radi0gnome,

I call the D hole the open hole which establishes the D frequency.  That's unreachable on my flutes, as is my C# hole.

I too think that small holes help cross-fingering to work.  But I'm unable to explain why a high-priced wooden recorder which I've tried responds to cross fingering, despite holes as large as mine.

Incidentally, I made a shakuhachi headpiece for my Yamaha plastic tenor recorder.  I like the sound much better than the standard fipple head (which sounds strangled to me).  And cross-fingering works with either head.

Thank you for your comments on penny whistle tuning.

Incidentally, I've tried to improve on fipple designs.  I strove for the more powerful tone of either an end-blown or transverse flute.  I have not yet succeeded.  But I will probably continue these efforts.

Best regards,

Alan

#11 2009-03-10 23:37:59

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

The fixed jet length and aspect of a fipple make it a much less flexible sound generator than the mouth embouchure of either end-blown or transverse flute. The geometry of every fipple must be a compromise, and I don't think you are going to be able to improve established design in one area without making it worse in another.

The question of tonehole lattices is quite complex, but it is certain that smaller holes have a higher impedance and less energy is radiated from the first open tonehole, making the intonation more dependent on the lower open holes. Smaller holes also lower the tonehole cutoff frequency making the sound less rich in harmonics (and also seriously limiting maximum dynamics).

Larger bores have weaker higher harmonics, smaller bores weaker lower harmonics and fundamental. Cross fingerings respond not so much to hole size as the ratio of hole size to bore size. The inverted cone of the shakuhachi (and recorder) have a lot to do with the response to cross fingerings, as well as stretching the ratio of resonances of the tube.

Toby

Last edited by Toby (2009-03-11 00:23:47)

#12 2009-03-11 02:48:10

Karmajampa
Website

Toby, I have seen reference to the ratio of the diameter of the blow edge hole being 1/4 the circumference of the bore, or rather, forming a square within the bore. when you refer to the ratio of holes being in ratio to the bore, is it the bor at the same position as the hole? I think I have also seen mention of lower holes often being larger then higher holes. . so I wonder if there are any 'rules' regarding this particular ratio.   I still prefer an 11.0 mm dril to a 9.5 mm even on a narrow bore, but will still be modifying each hole independantly. Plus undercutting a bevel, if I think the dynamics of that hole require it.
I have some thinking to do regarding these relationships, and playing around with some flutes.
Interestingly, today I had some success brightening Ri by working a smoother bore at half its distance from the blow edge, thanks to your earlier suggestion about the upper third being more relevant than the lower in this regard to tone.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#13 2009-03-11 21:47:52

Alan Adler

Let's not forget the role of wall thickness which lengthens the hole "chimneys".  It was Mujitsu who recently reminded me of that a few weeks ago.

Just a few days ago, I tried a D Pentatonic major flute with a 1.0" ID and 0.16" thick wall.  This scale dictates a 3" space between the A and the next lower hole F#, which is three semitones lower.

When I played "A" the pitch was correct but the timbre was muted - like cross fingering.  I presume that was because the next lower hole was 3" distant.

I tried countersinking the region around the 3/8" hole with a 5/8" ball mill.  That helped slightly.  But the problem went away when I made the same flute with an aluminum tube having the same ID, but only .062" wall.

As I've mentioned in another post, Arthur Benade has written about what he calls "cutoff frequency", which limits harmonics.  Cutoff frequency diminishes as the chimneys become longer.

Best,

Alan

Last edited by Alan Adler (2009-03-12 01:58:39)

#14 2009-03-12 04:50:27

Karmajampa
Website

Alan, a couplle of questions, first, what is a 'ball mill', and are you countersinking the inside or outside of the hole ?
I am curious about the depth of the chimney or wall thickness and cut-off frequency, can you explain this further.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#15 2009-03-12 06:36:23

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

For those interested in these acoustical questions, please see:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Benade/

Writings>70s

1977: Acoustical evolution of wind instruments

On pg 43 a section on the flute has some relevant information, and there is more basic stuff at the top of the paper.

Cutoff frequency is a function of both diameter and hole length. Larger holes and shorter holes radiate high frequencies better, and also allow higher maximum dynamics. The cutoff frequency itself is exactly that: a cutoff above which high frequencies get attenuated by (IIRC) 18 dB/octave. You can read about cutoff frequencies here:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/fluteaco … tml#cutoff

There is also a nice section on cross fingerings.

There are no "rules" regarding hole/bore diameter ratio, but there are formulae to figure out the effects of hole sizes for a given bore size (at the position of the hole). This is also frequency dependent, so it is true that lower holes should be larger to achieve the same tone color and response, but this is not really essential, and was eventually dropped on the Boehm flute when it was seen that two sizes were enough. I can post the formula when I get back to Tokyo next week, but you need a pretty good mathematical foundation to really understand it.

The only "rule" is that there should be no sharp edges anywhere in the bore. Undercutting of finger holes is highly recommended, as well as slight rounding of the top edge of the finger hole. The same goes for the inside edge of the tenon joint and the end hole.

Toby

#16 2009-03-12 23:38:36

Alan Adler

Karmajampa wrote:

Alan, a couplle of questions, first, what is a 'ball mill', and are you countersinking the inside or outside of the hole ?
I am curious about the depth of the chimney or wall thickness and cut-off frequency, can you explain this further.

Kel.

Hi Karmajampa,

I still have fond memories of the ten days I spent in NZ, mostly the South Island in 1973.   Mt. Cook, Milford Sound, Lake Manapouri, Christchurch.  Lovely country and lovely citizens.

A ball mill has a spherical end.  In this case, I made a concavity around the outside of the hole.  I bored down until the height of the "chimney" was about 1mm.  I only did it on the "A" hole.  I still have the tube and may try the same thing on the next lower hole.  I can also try thinning a larger area around the holes.

Toby posted some links about cutoff frequency.  It's also described in Benade's, "Fundamentals Of Musical Acourstics" (Dover), page 449.  Benade was a major hero in this field and his book is not expensive and a definte "must have", but I find his formulas for frequency don't match my flutes with thin walls.  The thin walled flutes don't respond well to cross-fingering, which is incorporated in the Benade formulas.

I had a visit today with Professor Tom Rossing, who invited me to CCRMA tomorrow.  They have a collection of Benade papers there.  Tom also mentioned Joe Wolfe to me (author of one of Toby's links).

Toby -- Thank you for your in-depth posts.  Where are you located?

Best,

Alan

#17 2009-03-13 04:22:25

Karmajampa
Website

Alan,
a lot has changed since 1973, but Middle Earth is still green.
I am a Potter and in this industry a 'ball mill' is a tumbler that is used to crush material.

Do I understand you correctly in that you are thinning the hole from the outside, as a countersink, rather than the inside of the bore, as an undercut?

The physics of acoustics is tough going for me but I stumble onto some concepts eventually that I can hear and see in effect in my own flutemaking.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#18 2009-03-14 01:24:19

Alan Adler

Karmajampa wrote:

Alan,

Do I understand you correctly in that you are thinning the hole from the outside, as a countersink, rather than the inside of the bore, as an undercut?

Kel.

That's correct.  I was attempting to make a thick walled tube behave more like a thin walled tube.

Best,

Alan

Board footer