Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-08 16:41:05

KR

Improvisation-Help with a paper

Hello,

My name is Kevin Romero.  I am a graduate student of ethnomusicology at the university of Colorado, Boulder.  My focus is flamenco but I got really interested in shakuhachi in an Asian aesthetics class.  I have analyzed several versions of TSURU NO SUGOMORI...by Stan Richardson, Kohachiro Miyata, Yoshio Kurahashi, Kohachiro Miyata, Katsuya Yokoyama, and Tajima Tadashi.

I have several questions about interpretation and improvisation.
If you would be so kind as to answer them in as much detail as possible I would be very grateful.

DETAILS PLEASE.
1)  Name, School, Experience

2)  In your lessons, did (does) your sensei vary the material from week to week or did (do) you learn note-for-note without much variation?

3)  Do interpretations of Tsuru no sugomori vary among individuals within the same school?  If so, how? 

4)  Do interpretations of Tsuru no sugomori vary among different schools?  If so, how?

5)  What are some ways of varying phrases? 

6)  Which produces a better performance, note-for note interpretation or improvisation?

7)  If note-for-note and improvised interpretations are both valid, which do you find more rewarding or enjoyable?

8)  Please add anything you feel might be important in talking about interpretation across schools and across time (individuals).  Also, if you are familiar with any of the above recordings, can you tell me how they might be good, bad, improvised or note-for-note interpretations?

Thank you,
Kevin Romero

Last edited by KR (2008-12-08 16:45:08)

#2 2008-12-08 16:42:24

KR

Re: Improvisation-Help with a paper

As I get feedback I may modify the survey.  It seems like it could be longer but I think those are the most important questions.
Thanks again.

#3 2008-12-08 18:09:29

nyokai
shihan
Website

Too bad, I just did a presentation two days ago on improvisation in the shakuhachi tradition in Denver, at the ISIM conference (International Society of Improvised Music).

There are so many versions of Tsuru no Sugomori (from different schools and temples) that your investigation might work better with something simpler. In order to have a baseline for comparing individual performers or performances you would at least need to start with one specific version of Tsuro no Sugomori, for example the Fudaiji one... but then you'd be eliminating some of your performers.

#4 2008-12-08 18:28:33

KR

Thanks.  Can you recommend recordings of the "Fudaiji" one.  My paper is due Saturday but it may lead to more investigation as I am also interested in the cognitive processes involved in improvisation.

Also, any other recommendations and, do you have materials you used for your presentation?  If not, can you tell me, Tsuru no sugomori aside, some of the characteristics of improvisation in your particular school?  I see you studied with Yoshio Kurahashi.  He is one of the flutists I analyzed.

Thanks again.

Last edited by KR (2008-12-08 18:49:04)

#5 2008-12-09 21:46:54

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hi KR --

I'm on the road and cannot get to any more thorough answer in the next few days -- probably not before your paper is due. Sorry about that!

#6 2008-12-10 13:27:50

Seth

nyokai wrote:

Too bad, I just did a presentation two days ago on improvisation in the shakuhachi tradition in Denver, at the ISIM conference (International Society of Improvised Music).

There are so many versions of Tsuru no Sugomori (from different schools and temples) that your investigation might work better with something simpler. In order to have a baseline for comparing individual performers or performances you would at least need to start with one specific version of Tsuro no Sugomori, for example the Fudaiji one... but then you'd be eliminating some of your performers.

Nyokai:

I am very interested in the topic of improvisation and shakuhachi.  (And a little stunned to hear there is a society dedicated to this topic in music in general.)

I will post a general kick-off question to this in the appropriate section...but would love to hear more about this from you!

#7 2008-12-10 21:47:07

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Kevin
As Nyokai has mentioned, they are possibly different versions which you are trying to compare. Or we could even say, they are actually different pieces with the same name. (Some of those people you mentioned play several versions, so it also depends which ones you listened too - some might be the same piece). Some may have been composed separately, or some may have originated from a common piece and later diverged. As I understand it Miyata's version is a new composition by Miyata, inspired by traditional version/s.

So, I think comparing or analyzing the recordings will give you no basis at all for understanding improvisation. I think to understand whether or not they were improvising, you would have to listen to the individual performer perform the same piece a number of times within a certain period (a month for example) and notice the changes. There are certain problems even if you had the notation (of that piece, it's version and from their school), because many performers don't rely on notation anyway. They would have it in their head, and they might be adjusting it over the months or years. So even a difference in their own playing from one year to another may not reflect improvisation but may be their decision (preplanned) to play it in a different way. Or their may be a natural gradual shift over time in their way of playing it. But these changes are I think different from a more spontaneous improvisational style resulting in melody changes each time it's played.

In conclusion, many players do embody a certain improvisational element in their playing, but I think the recordings you mention will give you no indication into understanding this improvisational element (in terms of spontaneous performance to performance improvisation).

Finally, you asked "Please add anything you feel might be important". I think something to consider, is firstly to be aware that in shakuhachi music, different pieces can be known by a common name, and secondly, the pieces are not fixed but living. In the West I have heard that pieces (classical I guess) are "written", and that the written score is the authority, or the real piece, and that performances of it are interpretations. I don't know whether that is how it really is, but anyway with shakuhachi honkyoku, it has been almost opposite in some ways. A person is a living being, the "real thing", and a photograph is a snapshop in time and space, from a certain perspective, of that complex person in one mood. Maybe shakuhachi notation is something like that. In the Edo period actually most schools did not use notation, so the pieces were living in the medium not of paper but of people, their memories and their way of playing. Naturally that is quite a fluid medium. Even if each person tries to play note for note, without improvising, the pieces change, just as language does.

Best wishes

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#8 2008-12-10 23:52:24

edosan
Edomologist

Kevin,

I think it must be said (because it hasn't been said clearly yet) that in traditional Honkyoku, actual improvisation has little or no place. True enough, Honkyoku, because it has been aurally transmitted through a number of different lineages, with different approaches and styles, is indeed a living thing, and I have heard players with a good grasp of the elements of Honkyoku 'improvise' music on the fly that may sound to the naive listener like traditional music (one such player is Riley Lee), but it ain't Honkyoku (and there's nothing 'wrong' with it, either, to my mind).

The only time I've heard any improvisation in Honkyoku is in Miyata's rendering of Tsuru no Sugomori, where he plays a short cadenza-like segment about half way through. There may be other examples, but I haven't encountered them. Anyone?

Perhaps you are already aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Last edited by edosan (2008-12-10 23:53:31)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2008-12-11 01:08:52

KR

Thank you Edosan and Justin.

Any ideas on concepts such as mu and jo-ha-kyu in shakuhachi music?

#10 2008-12-11 08:38:51

Kerry

edosan wrote:

The only time I've heard any improvisation in Honkyoku is in Miyata's rendering of Tsuru no Sugomori, where he plays a short cadenza-like segment about half way through. There may be other examples, but I haven't encountered them. Anyone?

Atsuya Okuda? Maybe 'broad interpretation' is a better term than improvisation. I think his expression and sound is very dynamic in showing how a traditional musical language can change, not just in a forward way, but also back to a compositional root source, perhaps? (Pun intended wink

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#11 2008-12-11 10:23:43

baian

i don't have it in front of me but i recall Koga mentioning in his book that after one has mastered the honkyoku the next level (?) is improvising using honkyoku phrases and compositional elements. Anyone remember better than i do what he was talking about ?

#12 2008-12-11 12:22:09

edosan
Edomologist

baian wrote:

i don't have it in front of me but i recall Koga mentioning in his book that after one has mastered the honkyoku the next level (?) is improvising using honkyoku phrases and compositional elements. Anyone remember better than i do what he was talking about ?

Koga sensei actually does a quite a few of these improvisations on many of his albums. He was talking about just what he said: using honkyoku phrases and compositional elements to improvise music.

See this link: http://www.komuso.com/people/Koga_Masayuki.html Wherein you will find albums featuring his many improvisations.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#13 2008-12-11 13:50:06

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Kerry wrote:

edosan wrote:

Atsuya Okuda? Maybe 'broad interpretation' is a better term than improvisation. I think his expression and sound is very dynamic in showing how a traditional musical language can change, not just in a forward way, but also back to a compositional root source, perhaps? (Pun intended wink

Hi Kerry.

Good ear! smile
Okuda has done a lot of research into older scores etc. But he also believes that tradition is kept alive by gradual changes - like many other shakuhachi players.
However, in certain pieces, especially the so pieces, as he calls them, he certainly uses some elements of improvisation.
(So from the concept of shin, gyo, so in calligraphy. Watazumi used this concept too in for example Shingetsu, Shingetsu-cho (the gyo piece) and So-shingetsu. It is also seen in the title of other honkyoku pieces such as Shin-kyorei).
In for example the piece Nerisaji, there are these traditional fast sections of chi no meri u chi no meri u chi no meri ha etc, which comes up in many honkyoku pieces. In Nerisaji Okuda tells his students directly to improvise on these fast sections. It is in the comfort of knowing the way of doing these sections so well that you can make them your own (basically embody them) and change them each time that he sees the tradition played out. Of course you don't do something totally different or crazy... but I have regarded this as being similar to improvising in a certain tonality in jazz.
I have certainly enjoyed this aspect of Okuda's philosophy.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#14 2008-12-11 17:21:53

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Improvisation happens mostly in Japan when:
1. You are a Sensei (especially on stage).
2. You are not a sensei and are playing somewhere NOT near your sensei.
3. You forgot your score.
4. You didn't have the piece memorized as well as you thought.
5. You're playing outside in the wind where you can't use a score but didn't really memorize the piece well enough.
6. When you are drunk and playing but forgot your sensei was nearby.
7. You're playing a shakuhachi you're not used to in a karaoke bar and realize all eyes are on the gaijin.

This list is not complete but I have the feeling I'll be getting some help with it soon!

All contributions from the "human" side which makes honkyoku "living" music.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#15 2008-12-11 19:34:19

Elliot K
Website

To add to Chikuzen's list:

8. You've practiced your ass off and you're playing for an audience with your sensei present and, thanks to stage fright, your fingers no longer do the things you expect them to...
9. You've just been possessed by the ghost of Watazumi's evil twin.

To re-iterate a couple of points (and add my 2 yen) regarding improvisation:
There are so many different traditions and streams of music within which improvisation may take place that it always comes down to: What do YOU want to be able to do with your instrument?
Even within the tradition of European classical music improvisation used to be taught (along with theory). It was expected that a good performer could also spontaneously create music. Sadly, this part of classical music is now only evident with classically-trained church organists, who are often called upon to modify phrasing and timing to fit whatever ritual may be happening.
Still, whenever any kind of music is played by people, it is constantly alive and evolving. For me, the key ingredients to successful improvisation are these:
Technique
Know your instrument so well that it becomes and extension of yourself, no different in access than your hands or feet. The goal is to be able to recreate the sounds you "hear" in your imagination. Most musicians initially play jazz solos from finger habits they create while practicing (frankly, many jazz musicians never get beyond this stage - these musical memes become recognizable as their "style"). Ultimately, the best thing is when your technique is so good it no longer is something you have to consciously consider when playing. Playing a great jazz solo can be like that - at the end of your 16 bars you not only realize that you've done something wonderful, but you're also aware of it not really coming from you, or at least not coming from the usual stuff you play. Think "channeling".
Awareness
In jazz we call this having "big ears". Good musicians are constantly aware of the musical landscape that surrounds them. Being able to become part of that flow, adding to it musically rather than detracting from it, is a skill much to be desired. This means not only hearing the notes (pitches) and timing (rhythm), but also dynamics, the ebb and flow of phrasing, and being able to "jump on board" when things suddenly veer in a new direction. It also means you know when it's OK to instigate something new without creating a train wreck.
Self-editing
Nothing's worse than the player who decides to hog the spotlight (especially when he really shouldn't). Before he died I saw Sun Ra and his Arkestra play many times. The last couple of performances were after his first then second strokes. His playing had become sparser, but so very focussed. The same for Keith Jarrett after his illness. Our tendency is usually to show off our chops - sometimes to the detriment of the music being played. Nothing is more effective than the right note played at the right time.
Singing
This has been touched on before in the Forum, but it bears repeating. In music that is melody-driven, there's a piece of advice that I got more than 30 years ago when I was first dipping into jazz improvisation: If you can't sing it, don't play it. This isn't a command to become a good singer, rather it's a plea to avoid a mechanical approach to your improvisations. If you operate from a place of musicality instead of ego (chops) the music will always be better.

At first, you'll probably want to sound like somebody else. Pick a teacher whose sound you gravitate towards - that resonates with you. Try your best to recreate what you like best about his or her playing. Eventually you'll begin to notice that your own voice is starting to assert itself, and you'll find yourself discovering slightly different phrasings or dynamic emphasis that you like better.
But this only comes about with practice and dedication. Sorry, no easy ways around it.

Hope this is some help.

Last edited by Elliot K (2008-12-11 19:37:15)

#16 2008-12-11 20:41:46

edosan
Edomologist

Very nicely put, Elliot K.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#17 2008-12-12 00:07:06

Kerry

Kiku Day wrote:

Okuda has done a lot of research into older scores etc. But he also believes that tradition is kept alive by gradual changes - like many other shakuhachi players.
I have certainly enjoyed this aspect of Okuda's philosophy.

Thanks Kiku, for sharing this philosophy. smile

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#18 2008-12-12 10:34:10

radi0gnome
Website

Elliot K wrote:

Singing
This has been touched on before in the Forum, but it bears repeating. In music that is melody-driven, there's a piece of advice that I got more than 30 years ago when I was first dipping into jazz improvisation: If you can't sing it, don't play it...

I remember being taught something similar, it went something like "sing what you play and play what you sing", not "if you can't sing it, don't play it". I kind of interpreted it as if I should be able to sing everything I play and decided to take voice lessons and practiced singing a lot. After 5 years I came to the conclusion that I'd never be able to sing those runs and scales with twists and turns as fast as I could play them. It's an awful lot easier to train and wiggle your fingers fast than it is to sing a fast run getting each 32nd note to sound on pitch without having most of the note being a slide into it and out into the next. There are highly trained singers that can do it, mostly classical and usually sopranos, but for most people I think you can forget it. So, it's definitely a good thing to learn to sing enough to match pitches and play with exercises as far as playing and singing, but I'd be very hesitant to not play something just because I can't sing it, unless it's OK to slow it down to a point where I can sing it.

Aside from becoming more intimate with the music by being able to sing it, one of the advantages of singing what you play is that for slow passages you'll be more likely to sing more expressively than you can play, and you can try to play as expressively as you sing. This depends on your singng abilities too, but even an untrained voice will generally be very expressive if the notes are well within your range.

I think that this might relate to this "improvisation" thread in that even with a slow, unornamented  piece (honkyoku for shakuhachi), two players playing the same notes will play them very differently. A good player will have a lot more movement within each note than a less skilled player, and two good players will often play dramatically differently despite that they are playing the same notes in the same timing. That's what expression is all about, it's kind of a way for classical players to improvise without hacking apart a composers intentions. Most jazz players limit their improvisation to what notes they can play when, however as the bar is raised with better teaching techniques there is a trend toward relying on expression through tone. Kenny G. is a good example, but since everyone seems to hate him (I think wrongfully), I'll point out Gato Barbieri. Talk about getting one note to take you places! However, no one has yet to wiggle there fingers like Charlie Parker could.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#19 2008-12-14 08:15:23

YuccaBruce
Website

Improvisation-how far we've drifted from the shore

#20 2008-12-14 11:38:14

radi0gnome
Website

YuccaBruce wrote:

Improvisation-how far we've drifted from the shore

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That it's kind of radical to improvise with shakuhachi? I don't think I've come across any instrument in any culture where some amount of improvisation isn't acceptable. Honkyoku may be an exception, I guess that's what was being addressed in this thread. But I'm fairly certain that there aren't a whole lot of shakuhachi players who are as addicted to sheet music as Western classical musicians are, and even in that genre improvisation is kind of a lost art because those ornaments and cadenzas used to be improvised. Improvising might not be all that cool of a thing to do because seasoned musicians in most cultures usually don't have much respect for young whippersnappers who come along with flashy riffs without first learning a good part of the standard repertiore the hard way via practice and repetition. Improvisation generally is supposed to be reserved for masters of the instrument, not something for someone who doesn't know the tune to rely upon just because he knows how to blow. Jazz is sort of an exception, improvising is encouraged early in the learning process, and I'm sure there are exceptions in other cultures too. So, while it's not that clear to me whether there's any improvisation allowed in Japanese music, are the shakuhachi improvisers out there really that far out?

Personally, I've been focusing on Turkish ney and shakuhachi for a couple years now and not learning much of any traditional repertiore. I know it's kind of wrong, and that I'm not sounding Turkish or Japanese on either instrument and considering that, it's kind of hard to even say that I'm really improvising as opposed to just noodling around,  but I'm fairly sure that learning to blow before learning the music can't be all that bad of a thing. With silver flute I spent a lot of time and money on lessons where the teachers were rushing me through "learning" one piece after another without me even being able to blow well. I can't blame the teachers too much because what are they supposed to do when a student comes to there door once a week asking to be taught? Show the student what they need to practice to learn to blow and tell them to put in the long tone practice time and then tell the student to give them a call in a year or so??? To a naive student a teacher like that would be considered not much help. Soon I'll have to bite the bullet, shell out the bucks, and take the 4 hour $40 round trip to NYC regularly for lessons, but while I can still improve my tone by a lot and I know what to practice to achieve that, I'll continue to do that and "improvise" in the meantime.

BTW, I'm aware of the internet lessons some teachers here offer. Maybe soon...

---------------------------------

!!!!EDIT!!!

Uh-oh! On second thought it looks like I went on a rant here and said some things that were entirely misleading. I'm not suggesting that any of the teachers were bad although teaching is an art and some teachers will be better than others. I was just trying to point out a problem with teaching flute. So, while there is the dilemma for teachers of "what the heck do I teach while this student can hardly get a sound", good ones will know things to teach. I did not mean to suggest that anyone should feel like they have to be able to play every note in order to take lessons or not waste money taking lessons. It might feel like it sometimes, but good teachers know what they're doing.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2008-12-16 12:31:44)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer