You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-14 23:52:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

NYC Shakuhachi Making Workshop with Perry Yung January 2009

Hi All,
Making and playing your own shakuhachi flute can prove to be an immensely gratifying life experience. I invite you to participate in my New York City Shakuhachi Making workshop.

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/perryshop.jpg

This will take place in late January or early February 2009. It will be in two parts:

The first section will take the participants through all the stages of making a simple bamboo shakuhachi  - measuring the length, clearing the nodes, placing the finger holes, cutting the utaguchi and binding.  Each person will end up with a very playable bamboo flute. This will be a three hour session and open to anyone.

Bamboo can be supplied at $10 per piece for non root and $80 per piece for my quality Chinese Root end Madake which has been cured for 6 years (not from Franks).  Participants can choose the length, from 1.6 - 3.0. I will supply all the required tools but anyone with their own power drill is invited to bring it.

The second section deals with Tuning. It will focus on my Spot Tuning Method for both Jinashi and Jiari. I will introduce my Bead Method for Jinashi flutes and the Wet Paper technique for the modern flutes. It is necessary for participants to be able to play the shakuhachi to some degree so that they can apply the techniques. They can bring a pre existing instrument or one newly made from first section of the workshop. This section will be 2 or more hours depending upon the number participants. It will be $75 for only the Tuning section or $150 for those interested in both. Non players can sit in for a reduced cost.

Please contact me directly if interested - perry at yungflutes dot com. I will choose the best weekend to accommodate all the interested parties.

Many thanks, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#2 2008-12-15 17:33:04

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

Re: NYC Shakuhachi Making Workshop with Perry Yung January 2009

Hi Perry,

This sounds like a great event!  Wish I can make it.  You know, I had always been interested in making Shakuhachi.  My first teacher in Princeton, Mr. Steven Rowland, always encouraged me to study making because as he said "Learning to make Shakuhachi will only make you a better player..." Well, I didn't study and become a pro like you did, but the little I did learn from Sogawa Sensei, has really helped me understand my instrument and my playing it.

Wish you and all the attendees all the best!

Kyle.

#3 2008-12-15 22:21:24

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: NYC Shakuhachi Making Workshop with Perry Yung January 2009

Hey Kyle,

Kyle Kamal Helou wrote:

Hi Perry,

This sounds like a great event!  Wish I can make it.  You know, I had always been interested in making Shakuhachi.  My first teacher in Princeton, Mr. Steven Rowland, always encouraged me to study making because as he said "Learning to make Shakuhachi will only make you a better player..."

I had some great conversations with Steven. It's true. And conversely, learning to play shakuhachi will make you  a better maker. I just did an afternoon workshop yesterday with Ralph Samuelson where we learned Kyo Reibo. That workshop had an impact in the shop today. I had the notation in front of me and I played through some of the sections as I was spot tuning.

Well, I didn't study and become a pro like you did, but the little I did learn from Sogawa Sensei, has really helped me understand my instrument and my playing it.

Well,...if it weren't for that darn Karate getting in the way! smile

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer