World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-15 21:21:22

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Shakuhachi in the news

Proof that your forum administrators are not always in front of computers! Here are a few centerfold photos from the March 06 issue of Mix Magazine. Violent Femmes and Horns of Dilemma at the Fillmore, San Francisco. Long live the shakuhachi! (Photos by Steve Jennings)

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/vfmixbr.jpg
Brian Tairaku Ritchie introducing shakuhachi to a new generation.

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/vfmixlineup.jpg
Yours truly (red pants) in the Horns of Dilemma lineup.

Ken

#2 2006-03-16 03:16:39

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Shakuhachi in the news

Ken! Totally sweet, man. You're speaking to the musician me, for sure. Do you always play shakuhachi when you're in HOD?  How many songs per set do you usually play in? Last time they were here, they didn't have as big a lineup. I'll need to go to see them in San Fran someday, I guess.

And Brian, you look great with the flute on stage. What kind of stuff were you playing?

Thanks for the pics!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-03-16 12:03:02

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

that`s cool.
It there any recording of that?
That will be a great.
Geni

#4 2006-03-16 15:36:13

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Thanks Geni..  I'm not aware of any recording of this. And, thanks Eddie. I usually stick to shakuhachi in these on-stage moments. It's an honor to have the opportunity to promote the shakuhachi. I think that spirit of duty is the same regardless if one is playing on-stage, at the beach, or alone in a room.

Ken

#5 2006-03-16 20:05:04

Lady B Lotus

AMAZING!! There's like 13 people on the stage!

Thanks for posting the pics and the information about the magazine. Was there anything mentioned in the article about you and Tairaku playing the shakuhachi?

#6 2006-03-16 20:21:54

Lady B Lotus

kyoreiflutes wrote:

And Brian, you look great with the flute on stage. What kind of stuff were you playing?

-E

I would love to know what the songs were in these two photos.

#7 2006-03-16 22:24:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lady B Lotus wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

-E

The one where I was playing shakuhachi is "In The Dark". When Ken and the other 13 people were playing it was "Black Girls".

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2006-03-17 11:43:28

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Lady B Lotus wrote:

AMAZING!! There's like 13 people on the stage!

Was there anything mentioned in the article about you and Tairaku playing the shakuhachi?

The article was focused on the engineering and mixing of the sound. So, there was no mention of shakuhachi.

#9 2006-03-17 15:05:32

kyoreiflutes
Website

Black Girls? With Shakuhachi? Ha! THAT I'd like to hear.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2006-03-17 17:52:27

Lady B Lotus

geni wrote:

that`s cool.
That will be a great.
Geni

Geni and Eddie,
You can hear Tairaku playing shakuhachi on "In The Dark" off the Violent Femmes 'Freak Magnet' album. This is such a great song! When I first heard it, I was drawn to the beautiful sound of the instrument. Only then did I realize I heard that sound somewhere before....I'm just not sure when or where. I think it was in a movie.

Also, you can hear Tairaku playing shakuhachi *live*  on "Confessions" off the 'Viva Wisconsin' album. It sounds beautiful!

#11 2006-03-17 18:02:21

Lady B Lotus

Tairaku wrote:

Lady B Lotus wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

-E

The one where I was playing shakuhachi is "In The Dark". When Ken and the other 13 people were playing it was "Black Girls".

Cool!
That sounded like a very nice show. I thought maybe you or Ken might have played a little shakuhachi on "World We're Living In". That would sound nice.

I've never heard "In The Dark" live.

#12 2006-03-21 16:58:37

rpowers

I'm curious about the seated player to the right of the percussionists. I can make out a hacksaw, but not the rest of his rig.

Perhaps Perry can tell us what accompanies a hacksaw on stage.

Rich

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#13 2006-03-21 17:05:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

rpowers wrote:

I'm curious about the seated player to the right of the percussionists. I can make out a hacksaw, but not the rest of his rig.

Perhaps Perry can tell us what accompanies a hacksaw on stage.

Rich

That's Dr. Eugene Chadbourne playing the Electric Rake using a hacksaw as a bow or whatever you want to call it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#14 2007-04-18 08:27:06

Requiem Of The Forsaken
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Lady B Lotus wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

-E

My god I love "Black Girls" I wanna hear that live..  That would've gone off.. How was the audience Tairaku? If you can remember..

I can't stand it when I'm playing for an unresponsive audience.. I really feed off their energy y'know, when they're lackluster I don't play as hard, but when I play for an audience that really enjoys Taiko and is getting into it.. I've played so hard that after I finished the song my biceps felt like they were completley torn up, I couldn't move them for a few days without them hurting a lot. I don't feel that kind of burn usually unless Taiko master Art Lee is over from Japan training us heh-heh. Wish I could harness that power for every performance. big_smile

"Let's be friends! ...If not, there's a waiting list."
"A student visited his master and said: "Master, this morning I played really well, it sounded fantastic, the best I've ever played!" The master simply replied: "Don't worry, it'll pass." - Tairaku

#15 2007-04-29 13:05:25

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

geni wrote:

that`s cool.
That will be a great.
Geni

Requiem Of The Forsaken wrote:

My god I love "Black Girls" I wanna hear that live..

Here are live recordings of 'Black Girls' and 'Confessions.' Violent Femmes and Horns of Dilemma - May 5th, '06 at Cubby Bear, Chicago. It's a crude recording by an audience member but gives you an idea of the madness! Shakuhachi is drowned out by the wall of sound until the end of Confessions.

KL

Black Girls

Confessions

#16 2007-04-29 23:46:13

Larry

Super cool recordings!  Thanks to both of you for sharing!

Larry

Last edited by Larry (2007-04-29 23:46:36)

Board footer