Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-05 11:41:01

airin
Website

which tuner?

I am at the point where I would like to check the pitch of my notes.  Mike Muller sent me a great link for an online shakuhachi tuner program download which I have tried but unfortunately my mic pick up on my computer is too weak....sound card problem perhaps?

So I'm wondering about the merits of getting a stand alone tuner.  If so, what kind works well with the bamboo flute?  And what price range would I be looking at?  I really have never used a tuner before so I'm pretty uneducated in this area (as in many others shakuhachi related).

thanks,
Erin

#2 2009-01-05 11:54:21

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: which tuner?

any chromatic tuner will do

#3 2009-01-05 12:27:44

madoherty

I swear by this tuner.  It is cheap, durable, precise, reliable, and easy to use.  I have used mine for 5 years + without problem.  My efforts in finding a better tuner, at times 5 times the price of this one, has tuned up empty.

"Exogenic Tuning Q12E"

Here is only one place you might purchase this tuner online: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Qwik-Tune-Q … 1166673.gc

#4 2009-01-05 12:38:10

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

airin wrote:

I am at the point where I would like to check the pitch of my notes.  Mike Muller sent me a great link for an online shakuhachi tuner program download which I have tried but unfortunately my mic pick up on my computer is too weak....sound card problem perhaps?

So I'm wondering about the merits of getting a stand alone tuner.  If so, what kind works well with the bamboo flute?  And what price range would I be looking at?  I really have never used a tuner before so I'm pretty uneducated in this area (as in many others shakuhachi related).

thanks,
Erin

Hi Erin, I use the Korg Chromatic tuner CA-30 for pitch reference.  It's the cheapest one around and works fine. I use my ears for timber/tone color tuning.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2009-01-05 12:51:57

radi0gnome
Website

I like the Korg TM-40. Aside from the tuning meter it also has a metronome. Don't forget to try Ebay for almost anything, that's where I got mine. It was about $25 including shipping. There are plenty of sellers selling brand new in box electronic items at a decent discount from other online retailers.

I agree with Geni about any tuner is fine, but make sure it's a modern chromatic tuner. Up until very recently I was using a 1990's model tuner. They work great, but you have to set a dial to whatever note you're going to play, very inconvenient and needless to say it didn't get a whole lot of use. Also, the "chromatic" part is important too, there are a lot of guitar tuners out there. Generally those are not what you want.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2009-01-05 14:07:57

chuck091956
Website

I also have a Korg Chromatic tuner CA-30 and it's fine for checking pitch when you out someplace playing. If you're at home there's a great tuner for your compluter. Check out http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html

Chuck Peck

#7 2009-01-05 14:14:25

lowonthetotem
Website

"Exogenic Tuning Q12E"

I have this one as well.  It costs a little more, but it has an analogue needle, which seems better for an instument like the shakuhachi to me.  Digital tuners show in tune and off tune within a range of cents.  The Q12E has a red light/green light for quick reference, but also shows subtle variations with its needle that may not show up otherwise.  It is kind of nit picking, but if you are going to buy one tuner, it may as well be the most sensitive.  It is still under $40.  It also seems quite proficient in picking up very soft tones, which comes in handy for dai meri notes.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#8 2009-01-05 18:46:20

airin
Website

Very helpful, thanks guys!

I've ordered the exogenic.

cheers,
Erin

Last edited by airin (2009-01-05 18:59:45)

#9 2009-01-05 19:39:51

radi0gnome
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

It costs a little more, but it has an analogue needle, which seems better for an instument like the shakuhachi to me.

Neat, the analog needle is probably the only thing I miss about the old meter I had. Isn't the caliberation a bit weak on the Exogenic though? It says it only goes down to A 438. I have a few shakuhachi that are A 435 and lower.  I guess its no biggie because you can just keep in mind that you're actually in tune if the meter says you're a bit flat, but I think I'd find it a bit frustrating that I couldn't get the red "flat" light to turn off and the meter centered even though I'm playing in tune. It's something to consider before purchasing, definitely not for period European classical instruments, fine for modern instruments though, including modern jiari shakuhachi.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#10 2009-01-06 08:58:31

lowonthetotem
Website

That is an interesting point radiognome.  I was not aware of it.  I hope Airin got to read that.  I have an older Jinashi shakuhachi 1.9 but have not really used it much with the tuner.  I generally practice on the 1.8 Jiari I got from Jeff Cairns recently.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#11 2009-01-06 11:20:20

airin
Website

I guess I'll be finding out as I placed my order for the tuner yesterday.  I play mostly a 1.8 jiari at this time. The instrument is about 30 years old so hopefully the tuner can relate to the flute's generation.  Then there's my 2.4 Earth flute and the 1.6 jinashi coming from Ken LaCoss.....oh well, I guess I'll have to report back, won't I?!

#12 2009-01-28 13:45:29

axolotl
Website

In case anyone has a lot of different instruments and is really nitpicky, like me, I recommend the Peterson StroboFlip.  It's portable and damnably, unforgivingly accurate.  You can also offset it for non A440 tuning.  Please note that said tuner is not cheap, and is more than is needed for shakuhachi, in all likelihood--I use it for shakuhachi, guitar, cuatro, ukulele, bass, etc.  However, one does see a difference between a less sensitive analog or digital tuner and this glowing blue beast. 

Strobe tuners don't work with a needle or an LED; it's more like a series of little waveforms that move up and down depending on your sharpness or flatness.  The speed of the strobe motion is based on how far you are from the note, so the idea is to get the strobe waves to settle down and remain perfectly still.  That last bit is rather slippery; they tend to drift--uh, that is, one's note tends to drift.  Most everyone's, that is.  However, if a master points their flute at the thing and honks out a huge Ro, you will see, to your amazement, a perfectly stable waveform that is spot on D (er, for a 1.8 at 440Hz).  Pretty spectacular.

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=37

Board footer