Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-21 01:58:05

kyoreiflutes
Website

Curing Tonkin: good effects?

I'm going to make some more shakuhachi out of Tonkin that I get from a really good supplier here in Seattle, and I'm wondering about something.

I've made a few flutes out of Tonkin that eventually split, and quite loudly. They only split on the outside, which I find interesting, due to thier being wet from playing on the inside. But anyway.

At the time, I didn't coat the flutes on the inside, so that's what I think really did them in. But, what if I made a little fire at a park campground brazier, and cooked the Tonkin a bit, and try to get its oils and such out? Would this work to possibly make the flutes a little less easy to crack, or is this just because I didn't coat the flutes in the first place?

Thanks for your help.

-Eddie

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-03-22 03:05:51)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer