Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-03 20:31:59

radi0gnome
Website

Derrik Jordan's "Sky Mirror"

Since I was going to be in NYC last Sunday anyway, I decided I'd make a full day of it and leave early to see the performance of Sky Mirror by composer Derrik Jordan featuring James Schlefer playing shakuhachi. I'm very glad I did. All I can say is that this was one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. If you like details, it was several movements for string quartet, shakuhachi, and electric guitar. In each of the movements the guitar played a drone-like pattern setting up a backdrop for the other instruments to have a gentle and complex interplay over. It was fully notated and very intricate requiring a conductor. All of the players were absolutely brilliant. Many here on this forum are probably already familiar with James Schlefer's playing, I wasn't familiar with the Sonos string quartet, but they were equally skilled to perfection with a cellist whose tone seemed to keep trying to make me want to cry. The electric guitar player (sorry, I don't have the program with me so I don't know his name) did everything wonderfully also, laying down patterns that I felt like I could melt into.

It was really that good, even better. I'm still integrating the experience. The composer was in the front row with an elaborate recording setup so there might be a recording available in the near future. I hope so.

Aside from Sky Mirror, from the program I think this concert featured four pieces, two that preceded Sky Mirror that I missed, and one that followed that I stayed for and was glad I did. It was way, way different. The piece was improvised '70's experimental-style electronic music performed by a pianist, a person reading text, and someone playing an (I think) 60's era Serge analog synthesizer. This stuff is an aquired taste, and these performers executed this piece wonderfully, keeping the seriousness and intention steady as many audience members either covered their ears, walked out, or both. Little did those expressing discomfort realize that for seasoned listeners this kind of reaction is what makes a performance of this type so wonderful. For real, although the complete opposite of the superbly pleasing sounds of Sky Mirror, the music isn't all that awful and I doubt it was actually causing anyone pain. For me it was perfect juxtaposition of two extremes in music.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer