Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-04 13:45:31

lowonthetotem
Website

Venerable Master Sheng Yen has Passed

I was reluctant to post this here because of all the hulabaloo about Zen and such, but I've worked up the nerve.  I just thought that some folks may not know.  The Venerable Master Sheng Yen has passed from his bodily existence.  Although I'd never met him in life, I've read several of his works, and his wisdom was one of the guiding forces in my practice.  Along with the Dali Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh, he is/was a guiding light in the modern Buddhist world.

He died yesterday, Feb. 3, 2009 at 4 p.m. (Taiwan time).

You can view his funeral proceedings here: http://web.ddm.org.tw/90107/main01.html.

Offical statements can be read here: http://www.dharmadrum.org/.

He left this poem for us;

無事忙中老,
空裡有哭笑,
本來沒有我,
生死皆可拋

Translated as:

Though nothing happens, we’ve grown old in our busy lives.
We cry and laugh, all in emptiness.
There is originally no self,
So both life and death can be cast aside.

and alternately as:

Busy with nothing, growing old.
Within emptiness, weeping, laughing.
Intrinsically, there is no "I."
Life and death, thus cast aside.

I hope this is not inappropriate, and the thread can be dropped if it is.  My hope is that he will be reborn quickly to be a light to all of us again.  He has asked that people chant “Namo Amitabha Buddha" to guide his rebirth, but I doubt he would mind if we played Tamuke as well.  Again, my apologies if this is not the place.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#2 2009-02-05 12:23:16

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Re: Venerable Master Sheng Yen has Passed

This is sad news.
I knew Master Sheng Yen fairly well as my wife was a disciple of his many years ago.
I also had the honor of playing for a book release of his which Thich Nhat Hanh wrote the opening. I was fortunate to play for Thich Nhat Hanh as well.

Tamuke is an excellent choice of course to play for the safe passage of his spirit into its next incarnation, but I will play the Jin Nyodo style -BANSHIKI - as I always do at these occassions, and I would invite all those who know Banshiki, but do not know Tamuke to join me.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#3 2009-02-06 19:04:54

Marc
Website

Creative activity could be described as a type of learning process where teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

--Arthur Koestler

#4 2009-02-12 20:12:47

janemukei

Thankyou for your post and translations of the poem- I was unaware of Master Sheng Yen's passing. His writings and TV dharma talks have been a help to me in my practice as well, and I was looking forward to hearing more from him.
        "...time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost.Each of us should strive to awaken.Awaken.Take heed.Do not squander your life" - Evening Gatha

#5 2009-02-13 11:46:56

lowonthetotem
Website

Thanks for your thanks, but I cannot take credit for the translations.  They are simply a cut and paste on my part.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

Board footer