World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-07 15:10:31

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Fresh is better!

Occasionally I like to cook with bamboo shoots. Until recently the shoots I used were either canned or whole shoots floating in water tubs found at Asian markets here in San Francisco. Recently I've discovered boiling fresh, raw shoots at home (plenty of recipes online) and the difference is astounding! The flavor is earthy, nutty, smokey and sensuous. The pre-boiled shoots are bland by comparison. The crispness can be adjusted by the boiling time. It's such a taste treat that it can be served alone with a little butter and salt or soy based sauce, or my favorite, in a coconut milk Thai curry soup with plenty of hot Thai chiles! Now I'll never be able to use pre-boiled shoots!

Those with access to bamboo groves or to Asian markets that sell raw shoots are probably already aware of this taste difference. Many have grown up with fresh bamboo shoots. If not, give it a shot if you get a chance!

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/bambooshootwaw.jpg

#2 2009-02-07 20:17:09

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Fresh is better!

One of my favorite ways to eat fresh bamboo shoots is to cut thin slices into hot and sour soup just before serving. The taste and texure that comes from the moment the shoot goes from raw to cooked is awesome!

Good one ken!, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-02-08 17:07:43

purehappiness

That sounds similar to what I found out about green teas. The loose leaf tea I get from japan is so much better than any tea bag I could ever find. Now, I have a small teapot and loose leaf tea that I bring to work with me everyday. Unfortuantely, I have to use the poland springs dispenser at work to get my hot water from. The water is pretty good though so the tea still tastes very good. Now, I am going thru a phase of finding different organic japanese teas. It seems that different areas of japane will give you slighlty different tasting sencha. To stay on topic though I wish I could find some fresh bamboo shoots. i am sure they do tatse great. I have tried canned and they just don't do much for me.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-02-08 17:22:48)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2009-02-08 21:28:25

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Looks great Ken. Next time I am in SF I have to try it. I bring the booze!

#5 2009-02-08 21:37:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

geni wrote:

Looks great Ken. Next time I am in SF I have to try it. I bring the booze!

Be careful Ken he drinks Albanian moonshine made from fermented goat milk. wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2009-02-09 02:08:56

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Yes, bamboo is great! We play music with it, eat it (mmmmm... delicious when fresh as Ken says), we have it in pots inside and on terraces, make furniture of it, cutlery etc etc. My new house is going to have bamboo flooring! Very much looking forward for that! smile

Ken, try barbecue the bamboo shoots and have a nice miso dip beside. It is delicious! We can do that next time I am in S.F. I only drink cask strength whisky - as you know!

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-02-09 02:09:32)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer