Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-02-17 12:27:16

axolotl
Website

Recent non-shakuhachi concerts I've attended: Niyaz and Kodo

L.A. has had some fiiiiine world musicians in town lately.  I regret that I couldn't do a triple play and see the Master Musicians of Jajouka at UCLA prior to these two concerts.

Kodo at Disney Hall was one of the most thrilling concerts I have ever seen.  It may have been prudent to wear earplugs, in retrospect.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b … w-kod.html

The review is just about spot on.  "Monochrome" was a chilling and dark technical piece, and following it up with comical skits and folk tunes was a good change of pace.  The two drummers who basically became one with the O-Daiko were mesmerizing.  It was some of the most worshipful playing I have seen. 

The night before Kodo, we went and saw Niyaz at the El Rey.  If you enjoy Sufi poetry, or the oud or saz, or basically any type of Persian or Indian music, you should check out this band.  They were just amazing.  There's still plenty of anti-Arab and anti-Muslim sentiment a-brewing in America, and to see this kind of music that, in the words of the singer, seeks to transcend culture and religion, is the perfect antidote.  Plus, it's fun to dance to.  I had a good time chatting with the band members afterwards--great folks.  http://www.niyazmusic.com/

That's my report from the non-shakuhachi world.

#2 2009-02-17 12:56:54

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Recent non-shakuhachi concerts I've attended: Niyaz and Kodo

axolotl wrote:

That's my report from the non-shakuhachi world.

LA is far more interesting than life here in the boonies...wish I'd been in those numbers.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-02-17 13:22:14

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Recent non-shakuhachi concerts I've attended: Niyaz and Kodo

thanks man.
Niaz are great!!

Board footer