Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-03-04 22:45:51

Austin Shadduck
Website

Chapstick/Lip Balm and its Effect on Air Flow

This might seem like a strange question, but does anyone have trouble playing shakuhachi right after applying chapstick? I have to readjust to playing right after I use the stuff. I wonder how chapstick effects air flow... Conversely, does anyone notice a change in playing when your lips are chapped? Just curious.

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

#2 2009-03-04 23:42:39

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Chapstick/Lip Balm and its Effect on Air Flow

I remember having problems playing flute after using some beeswax chap-stick, that was before I was playing shakuhachi much. Since then I've switched to ChapStick brand that's petroleum based and
I don't have much problems with it. It's still not as comfortable as nice, moist, unchapped lips with nothing on them. Chapped lips definitely aren't good for flute playing, particularly when the skin starts peeling off and pieces of dead skin or swollen parts from picking off dead skin get in the way. I don't think it's ever been so bad that I felt like it wasn't worthwhile practicing anyway, but it is a hinderance.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2009-03-05 00:09:26

Jim Thompson

Re: Chapstick/Lip Balm and its Effect on Air Flow

Austin Shadduck wrote:

This might seem like a strange question, but does anyone have trouble playing shakuhachi right after applying chapstick? I have to readjust to playing right after I use the stuff. I wonder how chapstick effects air flow... Conversely, does anyone notice a change in playing when your lips are chapped? Just curious.

Austin,
      It's a lot easier to play any flute with moist, supple lips than dry, cracked lips. I found chapstick useful to accomplish moist lips but make sure you wipe all the excess(that which doesn't get absorbed into the skin and is still on the surface)before you play. If your lips are greasy and slick it is hard or impossible to securely locate the shakuhachi on your lips.
                                                Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

Board footer