Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » The Best, or WHAT? (devolving into other related subjects)

#76 2009-03-26 12:42:59

ABRAXAS

Re: The Best, or WHAT? (devolving into other related subjects)

chikuzen wrote:

ABRAXAS, thanks for the clarification. I do have a stellar ability to misinterpret words on a page and the tone of words on the page. I am even better at yelling in the middle of backswings.

No problem, I tend to express myself in too strong of terms, and occasionally leave out important qualifiers.

To the point, Tokyo is a riot and I'm not surprised at anything that comes out of there. It's full of good taste and bad. There's 55~60 million people between Tokyo and Kamakura-one endless city. What would one expect but a lot of everything.

Sounds kinda like a microcosm of America! wink

Ps. I may be contacting you about lessons in the not-too-distant future.

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-03-26 13:23:38)

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#77 2009-03-26 13:07:01

edosan
Edomologist

ABRAXAS wrote:

Maybe another way of saying it is that a top-tier traditional player may have it in them for whatever reason to put out non-traditional playing that, however proficient, is the shakuhachi equivalent of Lawrence Welk or The Carpenters..."

Watch it, buddy, that's OUR tradition you're talkin' about...

Last edited by edosan (2009-03-26 14:09:33)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#78 2009-03-26 13:18:07

ABRAXAS

edosan wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

Maybe another way of saying it is that a top-tier traditional player may have it in them for whatever reason to put out non-traditional playing that, however proficient, is the shakuhachi equivalent of Lawrence Welk or The Carpenters..."

Watch it, buddy, that's OUR tradition you're takin' about...

Come to think of it - it might me fun to play BABY ELEPHANT WALK on shakuhachi along with Lawrence Welk. wink

#79 2009-03-26 15:49:19

Karmajampa
Website

Tradition may be like the raft that is useful to get one across the river, but once the other side has been reached it is no longer necessary to carry the raft on one's back.

This does not ignore the value of tradition,for that period of developing understanding it is necessary. 

I think that today it is not easy to find good quality rafts in the consumer supermarkets, and one may have to "kiss a few frogs"before finding their "Prince".

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#80 2009-03-26 16:25:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Seth wrote:

When you read through this thread one gets a good understanding of the various reasons why people pick up shakuhachi in the west.  And also a good understanding of the different value systems through which people understand their shakuhachi experience.

In the western shakuhachi world I would offer that there are two primary value spectrums on which people fall:

Traditional versus personal expressionists

And

Artistic mastery (extroverted) versus spiritual experience (introverted)

The best players (and true artists) combine all these attributes and don't see them as being in opposition to each other.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#81 2009-03-26 16:35:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Ronnie Seldin, Ralph Samuelson, John Neptune, Marcos Lienhard, David Wheeler, Stan Richardson, Riley Lee, Chris Blasdel, Jim Schlefer, Larry Tyrrell, John Singer, myself, Alvin Ramos, Peter Hill (although still in Japan), to name a few.

If I'm not mistaken, Ronnie lived in Japan for about 3 years although he visits frequently. Jim never lived in Japan and did most of his studies in the States, and I think Stan was the rare bird who was self taught, not sure how much time he spent in Japan. So those are some good players who have done most of their work in the West.

#82 2009-03-26 16:43:53

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

One point regarding the "East vs. West" theme that keeps cropping up in this discussion: Whether on CD or online some of the worst examples of non-traditional shakuhachi I've heard, grotesque jazz-funk-fusion, insipid cover versions of pop tunes, elevator muzak, and insufferably saccharine "new age" renditions, have been from Japan.

Also, some of the most outstanding examples of how I would NOT want to play a shakuhachi has been from Japanese and Western players noted for their traditional training background, even though the demonstrated "technical" proficiency might be outstanding. I know much of this falls under the heading of individual taste, but for every non-traditional piece of shakuhachi music I've heard that knocks my socks off, there are about ten times more that make me hit the off-button or listen aghast to the train wreck.

Yeah one of the greatest shakuhachi players from Japan knew I was a rock musician so he gave me a copy of his "rock" album which was an atrocity. But his honkyoku is tremendous.

And there are the guys who are good honkyoku or gaikyoku players but think they can get away with "New Age" drivel, which is almost always insipid and pointless regardless of the instrument. I think this is a commercial gesture because the uninformed listeners and consumers make a vague connection shakuhachi=zen=meditation=new age thinking but that's lazy.

The lesson to be learned from this is that if you want to play jazz, rock, blues or pop on shakuhachi you have to understand those styles. And bad music is bad music even if it's coming from capable players.

#83 2009-03-26 17:42:19

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Just a minor correction: James Nyoraku Schlefer and Stan Kakudio Richardson both studied the entire repertoire with me.
Stan WAS self-taught, but wanted to go through all the pieces with me.
Both Jim and Stan have studied with my teacher's son - KURAHASHI YOSHIO - for many years, and Jim has done additional studies with many Japanese Masters as well.

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#84 2009-03-26 18:01:21

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Nyogetsu wrote:

Just a minor correction: James Nyoraku Schlefer and Stan Kakudio Richardson both studied the entire repertoire with me.
Stan WAS self-taught, but wanted to go through all the pieces with me.
Both Jim and Stan have studied with my teacher's son - KURAHASHI YOSHIO - for many years, and Jim has done additional studies with many Japanese Masters as well.

Of course I know these dudes and the fact they've studied a lot. I was referring to Michael's statement that everyone on his list lived in Japan for decades.

#85 2009-03-26 19:30:26

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Chikuzen wrote:

I think we speak of two different groups of people. I'm talking about people in the west who have lived and studied in Japan for 15~30 years or more and those who have been playing and returning to study periodically over a period of time from 15~25 years (or more)

"Ignore that man behind the curtain". I knew I was going to get in trouble mentioning names. I shouldn't have done it but my intention was to point to westerners who have been involved for 15~30 years, or more. I wanted to include you Brian, but thought you had been studying about 13 years. Nit picky huh? I actually went in and edited the thing to "and those who have been playing and returning to study....etc.  I was specifically thinking of Ronnie, Ralph and of course, Stan. Yes, Stan is the one in a million. After reading your description of your life in Tasmania, playing at the tea house, etc.,  I got to understand how much you really do love shakuhachi, not as much as your wife, of course, but sincerely, a lot it seems. I hope you don't mind me saying that is immensely pleasurable to see how things in your shakuhachi life have developed over the last ten years and reached a point where you're doing what you do: living on a far away island with Varuni just playing shakuhachi in your tea house. Like reading a nice story with a great ending. (You could start thinking about adding dorms for us though)? Not that this is some "ending" but just in the sense that you have ended up where you are now when I doubt that you could have foreseen this when you got into shakuhachi. I say this from remembering our conversations in '99 when we first met.

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-03-26 20:23:53)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#86 2009-03-26 19:37:50

Kerry

chikuzen wrote:

In a nutshell, it comes down to COMMITMENT: how much money do I have for shakuhachi, either a flute or lessons, and COMMITMENT of time and energy: how much of these do I have for practice. Everyone reaches a balance themselves. A golfer who shots bogey golf in Britain is considered "good". That's an average score of 90. The meaning is that one can enjoy golf even being a boggy golfer.

Hi Michael,
Your nutshell is a shiny pearl.
Also, when golfing, do you ever take a break and just blow for rogey? wink -kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#87 2009-03-26 20:17:31

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Chikuzen wrote (about Brian), " living on a far away island with Varuni just playing shakuhachi in your tea house. Like reading a nice story with a great ending."

I often tell Brian how lucky he is to have Varuni.
She is his real treasure !!

It is an idyllic life, but Brian has worked hard for it !!

#88 2009-03-26 20:17:53

udo.jeromin

Brian, thanks a lot for taking up the discussion: interesting thread.

Mujitsu wrote:

What creates opportunity also creates dilution. I'm concerned where the shakuhachi is going in the West.

edosan wrote:

We here in the west will never have a system like the traditional Japanese makers had.

Ed, I don't think that's quite accurate: at least in Europe the traditional education of craftspeople has been somewhat similar.  This is in the process of dilution (probably caused by "market mechanisms") and the consequences were painfully clear to me when returning to Europe after having lived in Japan for half a year.  So, I do actually share Ken's concerns.

And, obviously, education and experience of a maker will (rightly) be reflected in the price of a shakuhachi (or any other product or service for that matter) --- alongside other factors.  However, I don't see a direct relation to the quality of an individual instrument (in a specific context): as, for example, Brian and Jeff pointed out earlier, their affection for an instrument has little to nothing to do with what they paid for it.

Last edited by udo.jeromin (2009-03-26 20:20:21)

#89 2009-03-26 23:48:42

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Ronnie,

Did Stan live in NYC at some point to study the entire repertoire with you? He is fascinating, great player. I think he has one of the best tones around.

Michael,

No worries about your list I just thought it was interesting that some of the players had not really done the immersion study thing but maybe they sound so good that is seems they did. Yes I've been playing for 13 years but I feel like I've just started.

Both,

Thanks for the nice comments about Varuni, she is a goddess for sure.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Tairaku/PICT0454.jpg

#90 2009-03-27 00:01:49

ABRAXAS

What a great photo!

#91 2009-03-27 03:24:08

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Stan is from England although he has lived in Texas for at least 3 or 4 decades.
He teaches (I believe Facial Reconstruction) at Baylor Dental College in Dallas.
We worked together via cassettes (yes it was that long ago !!), and he traveled with me on one of my annual trips to Japan.

He put himself through school when he was young playing guitar and singing.
Sweet singing voice.

He does, indeed, have a wonderful tone on the Shakuhachi.

#92 2009-03-27 09:25:48

purehappiness

After all of the reading plus trying to make a few flutes myself I am really starting to appreciate what actually goes into making a shakuhachi. It is a lot of work and requires a lot of skill.Getting the right piece of bamboo,knowing how to tune the flute etc.. They are worth the money. I can relate it to bonsai in a way. You look at a tree and see a $5000 price tag and go WOW. That much money for a little tree, but once you realize that it took 10 to 20 years to grow in that shape and what was required to keep it that way you can appreciate the price tag. A shakuhachi is very much the same thing.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-03-27 12:33:14)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#93 2009-03-27 22:17:41

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

And she has a personality too!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#94 2009-03-28 16:39:08

purehappiness

Thats one thing a tree definetly does not have.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » The Best, or WHAT? (devolving into other related subjects)

Board footer