You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-02 22:57:38

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Japan trip

Hello all,

I recently returned from Japan. I spent most of my time in Nagano prefecture hanging out with Tom Deaver and Kodama Hiroyuki. We watched Sumo and High School Baseball, talked about and played shakuhachi, and of course harvested bamboo.

Tom and Kodama-san are wonderful, generous and knowledgeable shakuhachi people. They are great reminders of the integrity that is possible through shakuhachi. If you are not aware of these folks, please check them out. If you feel a connection, please consider supporting their sincere efforts with a purchase.

Back in Tokyo, I had the opportunity to have dinner at the home of the great jinashi shakuhachi player Okuda Atsuya. Okuda-san and his family were very gracious. I also met his very talented student Katsuya Nonaka. What a wonderful time.

The trip proved to be bittersweet, however, as on my return home, my bamboo was seized by SFO Customs Officers and destroyed. (That's a subject for another post)

Despite that physical setback, I've been enriched by the human connection with such enlightened shakuhachi people. That is the spirit that keeps the shakuhachi breathing.

Here is a link to some photos.

http://mujitsu.com/japan.html

Viva!

Ken

#2 2006-04-02 23:09:43

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Japan trip

Hi Ken,

It was interesting to hear of your time in Nagano at Tom Deaver's; it sounds like you had a great visit.  Tom makes good flutes.  I'd like to get up to that part of Japan one of these days.  They confiscated your bamboo and had it destroyed??? That's crazy...what was the reason they gave for that?     Cheers,

Dan

#3 2006-04-03 12:11:47

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

They confiscated your bamboo and had it destroyed??? That's crazy...what was the reason they gave for that?     Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Apparently, the decision to allow or deny entry can be arbitrary. On past occasions, agents have understood that temperate madake with trimmed roots can not propagate even if it is green. However, on this occasion, the SFO agents stuck to their claim, "if it is green, it must be able to propagate." Hours spent contacting every possible source for help has proved fruitless.

Ken

#4 2006-04-03 22:48:16

kyoreiflutes
Website

That's pretty damned awful, Ken. I'm glad you had such a good tiime otherwise, but that is insane.

Do you think you would've gotten through if the bamboo had been cured/heated first, so that it's not green anymore?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-04-04 01:43:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Ken,
Having been there  (digging, cleaning, sweating and packing), I can only say my heart goes out to you.

Mujitsu wrote:

Apparently, the decision to allow or deny entry can be arbitrary. On past occasions, agents have understood that temperate madake with trimmed roots can not propagate even if it is green. However, on this occasion, the SFO agents stuck to their claim, "if it is green, it must be able to propagate." Hours spent contacting every possible source for help has proved fruitless.

Ken

I once came through SFO with 30 pieces of semi-dried Madake right off a plane from Tokyo. While waiting for my other luggage to come through, an inspection dog came around sniffing my tarp of boo. Luckily the lady next me me had some fruit she brought from the trip. The agricultural officer took her aside instead of me since the dog reacted more to her.  I stayed an extra week in Tokyo to let the sun bake out the green. I think I would've had a good chance with getting it through had the inspectors stopped me. It's lawful to bring plants if there is no trace of green or dirt.

On another occasion, when my brother Peter once visited me in Tokyo I had him bring back 20 pieces of semi-dried Madake. He was, however, was stopped by agricultural inspectors and they did inspect the boo with threats of confiscation. But, Pete had two things going for him - a Petaluma Fireman's ID and a shakuhachi in his hand. They ask him to play the flute and then released him AND the boo.

Did you show them a shakuhachi by any chance?

Once again,
Sorry to hear.
Best, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2006-04-04 08:31:48)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2006-04-04 12:01:36

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Perry,

A few phrases of 'Sakura' has helped in the past. This time I even added 'Take me out to the ballgame." Nothin!

Yeah.. brown culms are the way to go. It's best to make their job easier. However, that is not often covenient. The frustrating thing is that in the past, agents noticed green culms and roots but quickly and correctly realized that they could not propagate, and therefore allowed their entry.

Ken

#7 2006-04-04 12:18:40

shaman141
Website

Dear Ken,

Wonderful pictures, thank you so much for posting the link. I have heard Okuda-san's playing and he is incredible. I find the depth of his playing very personal and sincere. I am a student of Alcvin ramos,  so I hope to be able to meet Okuda-san in person one day and experience his playing first hand, perhaps on one of Alcvin's trips to Japan:) I have heard that Kodama-san is an amazing player also, I would love to hear some of his stuff. Is there any available anywhere?

All The Best,

Sean

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#8 2006-04-04 14:50:48

dstone
Website

Hi Sean.  We're approximately 5,000 km apart but we share a teacher.  Nice to meet you!  (And yes, I recommend a trip to Japan to harvest.  Especially with Al.  I went back in Nov/Dec and it was mind-blowingly good.  Photos at link to left.)

And I second your question...  is a recording of Kodama available anywhere?  I'd love to see/hear/meet him, also.

I bought a heavy 2.4 hocchiku made by Kodama over a year ago and it's just an amazing flute.  Many have commented on the quality of his bamboo and playability that he cuts out of it.  A pleasure to hold and blow.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#9 2006-04-04 23:27:39

shaman141
Website

Hi Darren. It is pretty crazy that we live so far apart yet share the same teacher, it's great to meet you too. I hope I can go on one of the Japan trips coming up.... I feel more and more drawn to Japan as time goes by....perhaps not this year but the year after. By the way, thanks for taking such awesome pictures during the last trip!

I have seen a couple of kodama's shakuhachi(mainly from Kiku Day's site and from the pictures of your 2.4), they look really nice. The bamboo that I have seen had really unique and beautiful root end shapes and was nice and fat. I really love the feel and the sound of shakuhachi that are made from fat pieces of bamboo, so I know just what you mean. I recently had the pleasure of getting a 2.4 Hocchiku made by Murai-san from a nice fat piece as well.

Hope to hear you play some day,

-Sean

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#10 2006-04-06 18:36:59

Bogert

Ken, would you mind if I used that picture with the playing of the super flute to paint?  That flute is very cool. 
                                                                                                           Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#11 2006-04-07 11:27:29

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Bogert wrote:

Ken, would you mind if I used that picture with the playing of the super flute to paint?  That flute is very cool. 
                                                                                                           Chris

Chris,

Do you mean the photograph of Kodama playing? Sure.

Ken

#12 2006-04-07 11:53:49

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Ken,

Mujitsu wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Perry,

A few phrases of 'Sakura' has helped in the past. This time I even added 'Take me out to the ballgame." Nothin!

Yeah.. brown culms are the way to go. It's best to make their job easier. However, that is not often covenient. The frustrating thing is that in the past, agents noticed green culms and roots but quickly and correctly realized that they could not propagate, and therefore allowed their entry.

Ken

I talked with inspectors at the US Agriculture Depart about importing bamboo years back. One inspector said the worst case scenario for importing bamboo that may not appear to be dry would a quarantine. And, they may possibly charge me for spraying and storage. I asked if they would burn it since someone from the ABS (American Bamboo Society) mentioned this possibility. She said, "Burn it?  No. We wouldn't just burn you stuff." The laws may be different in CA, especially these days.

If you have the energy, you may want to call your local US Dept of Agriculture office just to see what the law and proceure is for your case. There's probably a branch at SFO. I'm saying this because Steve Cohen was over at my place for a repair last year and he brought a piece of Madake for me to evaluate for a custom flute. He said he had personally picked the bamboo in Japan about 10 years ago but only recently came in possession of it. It was confiscated 10 years ago (I guess it took eight years for them to decide that it wasn't going to propagate)!

I know it might be a lot to go through with right now but if you have the energy, you might just want to call the inspection office at SFO and ask when you can pick up your bamboo.  There is a chance that your harvest is just sitting in a warehouse.

Hope this helps.
Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#13 2006-04-07 14:14:05

Bogert

yeah, thanks.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#14 2006-04-14 00:41:45

dstone
Website

Ken (and others),

Sad to hear of the bamboo's unmusical fate.  For what it's worth, we had very good luck in December simply mailing our big bundle o' bamboo back from Japan before we left.  Lucky or sneaky -- not sure.

Murai-san helped us wrap and tie everything up (he's a master of hitches and knots, among other things) and then he wheeled it to the little post office on his new bike.  The package had to be labelled and classified as something-or-other (I forget, and it was in Japanese, which makes me forget even faster), so maybe it's all in the categorization.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer