Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-06 06:53:51

KenC

What is a grace note?

Good day everyone,

I've been usings Koga's playing guide and while the exercises seem very good i find at times no description of what "something is".  In the guide where i am now there is reference to the "grace note", would appreciate any help on this.

Thank You

Ken

#2 2006-04-06 07:57:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: What is a grace note?

It is a western musical term meaning notes used to embellish the main melody. Irish music is a good example of using a lot of grace notes leading into and out of the main melody notes.

In Japanese music and shakuhachi notation there are many different techniques to accomplish this. Some are notated. Many are not, but are optional and/or conventions learned from the teacher when studying. Some are specific to either sanykyoku or various styles of honkyoku.

It's difficult to know what Koga is talking about without seeing the notation or knowing the piece you are referring to.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-04-06 10:22:43

edosan
Edomologist

Koga is talking about a grace note in the western sense.

The important aspect of a grace note is that it doesn't change the time of the piece, it just adds ornamentation; just gets slipped into the normal flow. It does, of course, change the rhythm, but not the time...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2006-04-06 11:19:23

KenC

Tairaku and Edosan,

Thank you both.  He was using it in a section on Tempo.  From your explinations believe i understand what he was saying.

I recently was lucky enough to find a very local teacher and am sure if my understanding is off it will be corected when i begin in the next few days.

Thank you again,

K

#5 2006-04-20 16:25:48

Teaman

If I may;

Yes, gracenotes are ornamentation. They fall exactly on the beat, but their value (length of the note) is not counted in the total piece, nor does it affect the notes before or after it. In other words, don't cut or stretch any notes to accomodate a gracenote. It should sound like a chirp, maybe lasting a 64th of a second. Hope this helps.

Board footer