Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-10 08:14:50

No-sword
Website

Thoughts on Fukuda Rando

Lately I've really been enjoying those old SP recordings of Fukuda Rando posted at 尺八の部屋. I know there are some Rando fans on the forum and I would be interested in hearing some opinions on his work as a player or composer, especially from folks who have Rando compositions in their repertoire.

Matt / no-sword.jp

#2 2009-04-10 09:21:40

Bogert

Re: Thoughts on Fukuda Rando

I enjoy Rando's compositions.  I have thus far only studied one piece of his with a teacher, Tabibito no Uta.  Mostly I have stuck to honkyoku in my studies, but sometimes its fun to try other stuff.  I often play his pieces between my current study pieces.  You can buy a good notation set of his music from Mejiro's in Tokyo.  I recommend it.

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#3 2009-04-10 16:54:51

Dun Romin

I love to play Fukuda Rando's music; have studied several pieces, solo and with koto. What I enjoy most is the space he leaves in his compositions for your own expression, immagination and emotion. I like to play his music thinking in sentences, from which I then try to build a complete story. And those stories never are the same, so they never become boring.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#4 2009-04-12 10:48:48

Glenn Swann
Website

i liked fukuda rando's pieces from the 1st- tsukikusa no yume and gekkou roteki, nezumi kuruma first heard at the shahuhachi summer camp in colorado, but when i heard those old recordings you mentioned i absolutely fell in love. fukuda's style was so cool- sometimes his shakuhachi sounded like a voice, sometimes a violin, but always with that beautiful, fragile evanescent quality.

the set from mejiro is excellent, and the cd by ishikawa toshimitsu "shakuhachi roman" is a great adjunct to it- even has karaoke versions w/ piano for most of the duet pieces. you can also get piano notation from the kokusai shakuhachi kenshukan. (the piano set includes 3 pieces not in the shakuhachi set- seiyakyoku{GORGEOUS PIECE}, and 2 piano/soprano/shakuhachi pieces- nagekedo hito ha and ake no kane, with the shakuhachi part included, but in western notation) i did and really enjoying performing them with piano- people seem to like them, perhaps because while they retain a lovely japanese aesthetic, they are western-music influenced songs, and often downright catchy.
i think, taken in context of the time, and the popular music (early enka) of the time, the pieces are really cool in that respect- some western-musician friends who heard them thought them a little "contrived" or old fashioned, but taken in the period, i think they must have been pretty cutting edge in a way, and very enjoyable as "songs" today. the solo pieces- tabibito, miyama higurashi, kikyo, have such a nice musical, yet honkyoku-esque blend as well.

i agree with the comment about how they allow so much individual expression- and it's so interesting to hear different players' takes on them.
i have tsukikusa no yume and miyama higurashi posted on my myspace(the link to the left).... if any one else wants to share their versions, i'd love to listen....

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#5 2009-04-14 08:44:56

No-sword
Website

Yeah, the "evanescent" thing is right on with how I hear it. At least in the recordings I've heard, Rando seems to be aiming to get the music out as "pure" as possible, rather than using the physicality of the flute as part of the performance.

Matt / no-sword.jp

#6 2009-04-16 08:30:31

Jean

I also love to play Fukuda Rando's compositions. I play several pieces and I play them often.

I didn't know there was a set of piano notation. Please, Glenn can you tell me where and how can I buy these Fukuda Rando's set for piano and shakuhachi ? I have a pianist friend with whom I would like to play these pieces. Thank you.

Jean

#7 2009-04-16 20:58:37

Glenn Swann
Website

Jean wrote:

I also love to play Fukuda Rando's compositions. I play several pieces and I play them often.

I didn't know there was a set of piano notation. Please, Glenn can you tell me where and how can I buy these Fukuda Rando's set for piano and shakuhachi ? I have a pianist friend with whom I would like to play these pieces. Thank you.

Jean

It really is fun to play them with piano. the set has the the shakuhachi part above the piano part for all the pieces (of course in staff notation) as well.

2 ways- i found it available through Hogaku Journal
http://hj-how.com/SHOP/5269.html
not sure if they ship internationally, on 1st glance didn't see anything but inside-japan rates

Yokoyama Katsuya sensei's Kokusai Shakuhachi Kenshukan actually publishes it, and that's how I got it, directly from Kakizakai Kaoru sensei when i was in Tokyo. I would imagine they would ship, assuming you work out some way to pay. And English should be fine if Japanese were a problem. the price on my set was 3,500 yen.
国際尺八研修館 東京事務所
〒130-0026 東京都墨田区両国3-25-9-304  (tokyo,  sumida ku,   ryoukoku)
Tel 03-3846-4447 Fax 03-3635-0869
http://www.shaku8.com/kenshukan/index.html#mokuji
furuya108@yahoo.co.jp

#8 2009-04-17 04:14:38

Jean

Thank you very much Glenn, I contacted both (Hogaku Journal and KSK) by email and I hope there will be one that ship internationally. The staff notation is not a problem for me, I read very well the West notation. Thanks again.

Jean

#9 2009-04-17 08:28:34

lowonthetotem
Website

sometimes his shakuhachi sounded like a voice, sometimes a violin

My teacher was telling me that a great deal of shakuhachi music comes from different voice traditions, some more chant like and some more song like.  He suggests trying to "sing" the Rando piece that I have worked on.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#10 2009-04-17 14:38:37

PSmith

Jean,

Please let me know if you are able to acquire a copy and how.  I have the sheet music for shakuhachi only.  There are not many koto players around to play with; lots more piano players.

#11 2009-04-21 09:37:55

Jean

You're right PSmith ! there are not many koto players in our countries to play with, at least not here in Switzerland, but in exchange there are many piano players.

Hogaku Journal said they may send a copy of "Piano shakuhachi notation anthologie Fukuda Rando" internationally by EMS at a shipping cost of 1800 yen and pay by credit card. But we must order through the shopping cart on their site web, the problem is that everything is in Japanese and my Japanese skills are very limited, I try to cope by using the google translator! If you know Japanese you can order it without problem and they deliver anywhere in the world. (Kokusai Shakuhachi Kenshukan not answered me yet)

In our countries there are also a lot of guitar players, thereon Andrew MacGregor recorded a CD "Music for guitar & shakuhachi" where there are three pieces of Fukuda Rando and two pieces of Miyata Kohachiro among others, and he holds the scores (staff notation) available to guitar and shakuhachi in Western notation, I got it and it's very nice to play with a guitarist, and more if the guitarist plays the strings by plucking near the bridge, resulting in a "effect koto" sound very interesting. Moreover in his CD the guitarist Marion Schaap accompanying Andrew uses this technique. You can order the CD or scores notation directly on the Andrew MacGregor site www.shakuhachiflutes.com

#12 2009-05-08 21:14:40

No-sword
Website

Someone mailed me to ask where those Fukuda Rando recordings were, so I decided to throw it into the thread for future generations:

http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/randou.html

Every MP3 on this page features Fukuda on shakuhachi.

Matt / no-sword.jp

#13 2009-07-13 07:27:35

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

I really like his pieces and think that they are beautiful.
I have recently recorded a piece (Gekko Roteki) at my home in Beirut and posted it on youtube.
Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNivBlYCxA

Best regards.

Kyle.

Last edited by Kyle Kamal Helou (2009-07-13 07:29:08)

#14 2009-07-13 08:46:42

edosan
Edomologist

Kyle Kamal Helou wrote:

I have recently recorded a piece (Gekko Roteki) at my home in Beirut and posted it on youtube.
Here is the link.

A lovely, soulful rendition, Kyle, and a perfect thing to wake up to smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#15 2009-07-13 12:08:16

Zakarius

Kyle Kamal Helou wrote:

Here is the link.

Indeed a nice recording.

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#16 2009-07-13 14:31:27

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Thanks for the nice playing! I wondered by reading this thread how music of F. Rando sounded.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#17 2009-07-13 14:45:04

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

great playing Kyle!! What flute do you use?

Last edited by geni (2009-07-13 23:23:33)

#18 2009-07-13 21:24:15

edosan
Edomologist

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Thanks for the nice playing! I wondered by reading this thread how music of F. Rando sounded.

You can hear Fukuda Rando playing his tunes himself (on 78's--scratchy but very listenable) on this link (mentioned just above on
this page):

http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/randou.html

[Scroll down toward the middle of the page for the Fukuda pieces, the first batch are Kinko honkyoku]

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#19 2009-07-13 22:00:18

Glenn Swann
Website

Kyle Kamal Helou wrote:

Here is the link.

Best regards.

Kyle.

すごい! YES! very nice indeed.

#20 2009-07-14 01:52:15

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Surely nice, but seeing and hearing Kyle Kamal Helou play on youtube adds an extra dimension!

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#21 2009-07-14 06:39:22

KenC

Really nice Kyle!!!

I really enjoy Rando.  I was fortunate enought to pick up his collection of notation and also a cd of his works by Yokiyama Sensei.  Kikyo Genso Kyoku, Tababito no Uta, and Gekko Roteki are 3 that i have been working with.

#22 2009-07-16 13:07:16

Kyle Kamal Helou
Website

It's wonderful to be back here in Tokyo!

I am playing my personal 1.8 made by Sogawa Kinya Sensei.  A magnificent instrument!

Board footer