Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-18 16:01:07

Gerry

Tsugaru Shakuhachi styles

I was reading the Ashgate Research Companion to Japanese Music recently, and came across a reference to the “Nezasa-ha Kinpuu-ryuu,” a school (or schools?) of honkyoku from Aomori prefecture. The book also mentions that this and other Tohoku shakuhachi styles feature “rich ornamentation involving fine finger movement.”
I posted something about Takahashi Chikuzan a while ago on a thread in the “shakuhachi art gallery” section of this site (see the “Tsugaru shakuhachi min'yo” thread), asking for opinions on his style but got no replies. Maybe people just go there to look at pictures, or maybe my question was too broad.
I’m still curious about anything anyone has to say about his, or Shirakawa Gumpachiro’s playing (there are links in that post to some recordings), but now I'm wondering about this Tsugaru (present-day Aomori) honkyoku style. Many of the Tsugaru arts (shamisen, lacquer ware, textiles) share this aesthetic of rich ornamentation, so it’s interesting to me that it comes out in honkyoku too. I thought Chikuzan’s shakuhachi ornamentation was borrowed from Tsugaru shamisen playing, but now see that this goes beyond shakuhachi accompaniment for a few folk songs.
There is a little bit written about this school at Komuso.com, but does anyone out there know anything else about it?

Board footer