World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-11 00:30:39

evan kubota

PVC shakuhachi problems...

I put together a PVC model last night following these instructions:

http://www.konkle.com/shakuhachi/the_sh … cflute.gif

The lowest note sounds fine but it gets progressively harder to get a sound as I remove fingers. Since I'm also completely new to playing shakuhachi I have no idea if it's my 'craftsmanship' or my technique. The bore of the pipe I used is larger than 3/4", FWIW - it's more like 7/8". The pipe is has thinner walls than that specified in the plan. I made my holes a little over 1/4" diameter.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the utaguchi design - how critical is the angle of the cut and the amount that the crescent shape protrudes into the body?

Assuming my flute is reasonably well made, how can I bring out the sound for higher notes (no fingers or 1 or 2)?

It's also pretty tiring to play - again, not sure if this is the larger bore or my technique. Would the higher notes require a greater air velocity to produce a given sound level?

#2 2006-04-11 07:49:09

sakurashakuhachi

Re: PVC shakuhachi problems...

evan kubota wrote:

I put together a PVC model last night following these instructions:

http://www.konkle.com/shakuhachi/the_sh … cflute.gif

The lowest note sounds fine but it gets progressively harder to get a sound as I remove fingers. Since I'm also completely new to playing shakuhachi I have no idea if it's my 'craftsmanship' or my technique. The bore of the pipe I used is larger than 3/4", FWIW - it's more like 7/8". The pipe is has thinner walls than that specified in the plan. I made my holes a little over 1/4" diameter.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the utaguchi design - how critical is the angle of the cut and the amount that the crescent shape protrudes into the body?

Assuming my flute is reasonably well made, how can I bring out the sound for higher notes (no fingers or 1 or 2)?

It's also pretty tiring to play - again, not sure if this is the larger bore or my technique. Would the higher notes require a greater air velocity to produce a given sound level?

Hi there; I make pvc shakuahchia and the angle is fairly crucial. if it's too steep; e.g 45degrees you'll get a very windy sound and lots of aeolian tones. Also your technique may be out if youe getting 'Ro' (the lowest note) but not the otherl; it takes time.
My bit of advise would be also not to drill specified size holes but to drill small holes inthe right places thenn graduallyu enlarge them with a suitable tool (particularly easy on pvc) until they come up to the right tone. Make sure they're EXACT before moving onto the next hole as each open hole has an effect. there's nothing worse than having a hole out flat but the hole above dead right; you cant easilty fix that. If you need any more help dont hesitate to ask! Rory

Board footer