Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-21 19:42:36

geminishadow79

Shakuhachi and my three year old

Every day around three oclock I like to settle in for some quality time with my yuu.  I'm just learning of course, and can't actually play anything I'm just working on my breathing, and work on getting some good tones, I think I'm doing pretty good.  My little girl hates it!  She always puts her hands over ears and yells "oh mommy stop that blowing!"  She'll keep yelling it until I stop.  When I play my one CD of Shakuhachi music that I have she freaks out.,  She really seems to hate it!  Its pretty heartbreaking, I keep envisioning myself playing her to sleep at night (when I get better of course) and teaching her play herself when shes older.  Maybe she'll change her opinion of it when shes older, I sure hope so!

#2 2009-04-22 06:04:04

purehappiness

Re: Shakuhachi and my three year old

You will need to learn some japanese lullabies. smile

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#3 2009-04-22 07:21:22

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

geminishadow79 wrote:

Every day around three oclock I like to settle in for some quality time with my yuu.  I'm just learning of course, and can't actually play anything I'm just working on my breathing, and work on getting some good tones, I think I'm doing pretty good.  My little girl hates it!  She always puts her hands over ears and yells "oh mommy stop that blowing!"  She'll keep yelling it until I stop.  When I play my one CD of Shakuhachi music that I have she freaks out.,  She really seems to hate it!  Its pretty heartbreaking, I keep envisioning myself playing her to sleep at night (when I get better of course) and teaching her play herself when shes older.  Maybe she'll change her opinion of it when shes older, I sure hope so!

Hi seminishadow79,

My kids, now 5 and 3.9 years-old, have been hearing the shakuhachi since they were in their mother's womb. In the very early years, they loved the sound of the shakuhachi and always seemed to be calmed by it. These days, they tell me that I should play with them instead!

purehapiness wrote:

You will need to learn some japanese lullabies. smile

You might also want to try simple, relaxed long tone playing that focuses on the fundamental tone.

My kids embody the Tao, change is constant. I'm sure your daughter will change too:)

All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-04-22 09:42:00

jaybeemusic

You could always make her one..... like i did for my daughter....she's just past 2

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn81/jaybeemusic/AshaShakuhachi001-Smaller.jpg

I'm not sure what the measurements are....(i did it 6 months ago) but it's exactly 1 octave higher than a standard 1.8.

I used 1/2" PVC pipe and it really does play....

If anyone is interested i can post the measurements.....

jacques

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2009-04-22 09:42:52)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#5 2009-04-22 09:49:49

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

oooh that flute is cute!

and maybe it has to do with the beginning aspect of playing the flute? So that will pass and the playing gets better or your doughter will learn to like it. The little flute is a nice positive way of bringing playfullness to it.
Personally: my friend doesn't like the sound at all and it seems that isn't going to change as well....It isn't going to stop me from playing though. I am only not allowed to play in the living room...

Bas

Last edited by Bas Nijenhuis (2009-04-22 09:55:51)

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#6 2009-04-22 11:08:29

airin
Website

Things could change as time goes on and you become a better player.  I think that once your tones, especially those in the first register, are steady and stable, no squeaks and ear shattering sqwalks, the popularity of your Yuu may increase.  As well, there are quite a few more 'western' sounding melodies that may be more enjoyable for your daughter and others less familiar with shakuhachi music.

In the meantime, maybe try to downplay your practice time.  I used to stick my head right inside our big bedroom closet in order to dampen the sounds of my beginner's notes lest I disturb my partner or our neighbours though truth be known no one ever complained in those early months of playing and now the main comments I get are 'oh, you're improving' but then perhaps I just have very patient and tolerant folks around me.

#7 2009-04-22 11:36:11

radi0gnome
Website

There's some new-age kind of thought that different people will like different music depending on their age and what energy centers they need to work on. That's good to know because generally if someone doesn't like your music you don't need to take it personally. I've seen a number of posts where significant others or roomates don't like a persons playing. In general I think that if a significant other doesn't like it there should be enough love around for them to tolerate the pain. Roomates or neighbors in an apartment setting might be a bit stickier of a situation, but keeping practicing to most peoples waking hours generally should keep the complaints to a minimum. A loved one that's a child is a tough one though, maybe some musical games or something could help.

BTW, does anybody have the notation for "Far, far away"? I keep getting requests for it. People obviously like my playing, they constantly come up to me and ask me to play "Far, far away". smile

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#8 2009-04-22 11:40:02

purehappiness

Yungflutes wrote:

You might also want to try simple, relaxed long tone playing that focuses on the fundamental tone.

That is true too. You might try blowing soft mellow tones. That is what I do when the wife and I are watching TV together. Although, she usually stops me pretty fast anyway. sad

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-04-22 11:40:41)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#9 2009-04-22 11:49:15

ABRAXAS

I don't know anything about children because I've never had any and am never around any, but in the beginning my cat would disappear when I would play.  Either my playing got better or his desire to leech onto me overrode his aversion to the sound. But now he does seem to like it, sometimes he'll sit there for as long as I play with a goofy look on his face like he's being hypnotized by the music.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#10 2009-04-22 12:14:13

purehappiness

My dogs serve as good judges of music too.

Lieh-tzu

#11 2009-04-22 12:21:08

Thomas

CUTE
FLUTE!

#12 2009-04-22 13:46:57

stevetree

purehappiness wrote:

Indeed, I have found that practicing dai kan gives me the power of influence over animals.  At least, the power to make them flee.  Like a pied piper, only lazier - no need to lead the way...

#13 2009-04-22 14:38:10

Vevolis
Website

stevetree wrote:

purehappiness wrote:

Indeed, I have found that practicing dai kan gives me the power of influence over animals.  At least, the power to make them flee.  Like a pied piper, only lazier - no need to lead the way...

My daschund tries to grab the flute while I'm playing. The tradeoff is usually a carrot for 30 seconds of practice. I don't practice as much as i'd like and I find I have to walk the dog a lot. smile

#14 2009-04-22 16:29:38

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

When I even walked in a room playing a sax, my cats ran off immediatly, now with the shakuhachi they stay put, probably mesmerized or too lazy to run.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#15 2009-04-22 20:05:53

geminishadow79

jaybeemusic wrote:

You could always make her one..... like i did for my daughter....she's just past 2

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn81 … maller.jpg

I'm not sure what the measurements are....(i did it 6 months ago) but it's exactly 1 octave higher than a standard 1.8.

I used 1/2" PVC pipe and it really does play....

If anyone is interested i can post the measurements.....

jacques

That is too cute!   I love to make one...well have my husband make one!  I"d love if you posted the measurements!  Can you tell I'm excited by my over useage of the exclamation point?! hahaha!

#16 2009-04-22 20:19:37

Lodro

My cat used to flee (sic) with terror when I did my taiji, now she joins in. Sorry, that's the best I can offer seeing as my Shakuhachi playing hasn't really even entered into the realm of sound!

(Actually I had a major breakthrough last night around midnight when my frustration finally gave fruit to the concept of 'try something different' - so I made a dramatic change to flute positioning and whoopee-do, there it was)

Yours Happily
Lodro

Each part of the body should be connected to every other part.

#17 2009-04-22 22:13:05

Zakarius

ABRAXAS wrote:

I don't know anything about children because I've never had any and am never around any, but in the beginning my cat would disappear when I would play.

I have four dogs, two cats, seven turtles and a ton of fish. They all seem to enjoy my playing but the fishies don't pay much attention. Wish I could say the same for people hmm

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#18 2009-09-23 11:58:44

MikeL

I hope that your daughter has come around by now, and that your practice
is going well.

I recently had an infant come to stay in my home, approximately 1.6
shaku in length at this time smile

One day he was crying and out of curiosity I started playing shakuhachi while
someone else was holding him. He stopped crying within a few notes.
On another occasion shortly thereafter same result. He even went to sleep when
I kept playing. From seemingly inconsolable to sleeping. I've done this a number
of times and it calms him down almost every time.

He seems to like honkyoku, sankyoku, folk songs, pretty much anything that
I play.

I'll be curious to see if this stays the case. I hope so.

My Border Collie mix loves the shakuhachi. As soon as I start playing he comes
and hangs out right next to me regardless of where he was or what he
was doing.

Again, good luck with your family coming around and enjoying your playing.
I've had adults in my life who didn't care for it, or just not get it, but with
time come to really enjoy hearing it.

- Mike

#19 2009-09-23 13:51:19

jdanza
Website

A couple of suggestions Donna:
   You didn't say what CD you have but it wouldn't hurt expanding your library. I would recommend getting some of Riley Lee's meditation recordings. They have a sweet and soothing quality. If you play music for your daughter as she falls asleep, softly play the recordings while cuddling her and stroking her hair. I remember putting my little ones to bed as some of the sweetest times in my life. If she relates the sound of the Shakuhachi with those special moments she'll grow to love it. For now I would keep the practice away from her. If she dislikes Riley's recordings... well... I'd give it up for a while... the only sure thing in Life is Change.
Good luck

#20 2009-09-23 14:09:12

purehappiness

I like it when your dog turns his head a little and looks at you. Its as if he is sayings "what are you doing". Then again some notes make his ears droop. My bad, I guess.

Lieh-tzu

#21 2009-09-23 15:03:25

Chuck

I also have a 3 year old and she went through a phase where she would tell me "No Flute!" when I would pick up the yuu or one of my home-made shakuhachi.

One day she even came up with a piece of cotton she had found and stuffed it up the end of a 2.6 I had made from a princess-tree branch a friend had given me (did you know they are hollow? A bit irregular in the bore though.)

I blew 'ro' and launched the cotton back at her.

We have a new game now!

#22 2009-09-24 11:32:10

edosan
Edomologist

jdanza wrote:

You didn't say what CD you have but it wouldn't hurt expanding your library. I would recommend getting some of Riley Lee's meditation recordings. They have a sweet and soothing quality. If you play music for your daughter as she falls asleep, softly play the recordings while cuddling her and stroking her hair. I remember putting my little ones to bed as some of the sweetest times in my life. If she relates the sound of the Shakuhachi with those special moments she'll grow to love it. For now I would keep the practice away from her. If she dislikes Riley's recordings... well... I'd give it up for a while... the only sure thing in Life is Change.
Good luck

I think that's a great idea. Most of those recordings are available at the iTunes store, and I'd particularly recommend: Satori, Oriental Sunrise and Sanctuary. For the shakuhachi player (as opposed to child listener...) I'd recommend Music for Zen Meditation (oops, there's that dratted adjective again!), and Yoga-Tranquility, the latter two being various shakuhachi solo and duet improvisations (yes, Riley improvising over his own improvisations) for various length flutes.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#23 2009-09-27 19:00:10

geminishadow79

jdanza wrote:

Good luck

This is a brilliant idea!  Thank you so much for the suggestion.  Its been a few months now and my practice has not been as regular as I had hoped when I first started out.  Its been a busy summer fixing up our new house and then moving . We finally got into the new place two weeks ago.  Now work looms on old place to get it ready to sell.

Shes now four and still hasn't developed the love for my yuu that I had hoped.  Maybe her new baby brother, who will be born in January will be able appreciated it better, we'll get him started young!  Fortunetly she has started preschool and I have a few hours in the morning, that i've really come to enjoy and I have since we moved made that my regular practice time.  I also hope to start some formal lessons very soon, maybe that would help!

#24 2009-09-27 20:55:25

Horst Xenmeister
Shiham
Website

Kinder don't like Zen but like bier. Pilsen gut Hefeweizen beter. Liking also weisswurst mit senf.

i am horst

#25 2009-09-27 22:41:11

Moran from Planet X
Website

Horst Xenmeister wrote:

Kinder don't like Zen but like bier.

Going the Roman Polanski route, eh, Horst?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer