You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-25 05:04:58

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Honking Ro?

Hello,

To clear up a question I have:

I've heard for more than once this saying: 'the Ro can honk'.

What does it mean actually?
It is stated in those sayings that it is good, is it? And why?
Does someone has a soundsample of a honking Ro and a non-honking Ro?

thanks,

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#2 2009-04-25 10:18:09

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Honking Ro?

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Hello,

Does someone has a soundsample of a honking Ro and a non-honking Ro?

thanks,

Bas

Here's the link to a sound clip of the last one minute of Aoki Reibo playing Sarashi (on a 1.9, I believe). There is a series of 'honking' Ro's as he plays, and they are unmistakable. Whether this is 'good' or not is up to the listener (FWIW: anyone who doesn't like honking Ro's is dead to me...). Honking Ro's occur (in flutes that are capable of it; not all are) when the player pushes enough air into the flute so as to produce a bunch of powerful overtones,
almost, but not, breaking into the second octave:

http://dc148.4shared.com/download/10190 … 4-6ae154fb

Last edited by edosan (2009-04-29 12:14:17)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-04-25 17:42:59

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

(FWIW: anyone who doesn't like honking Ro's is dead to me...).

I know a cure for that. Invite (you know who! wink) and his buddy over to your hotel room and let them honk on all your flutes for about an hour. After that you'll be craving foghorn ro instead. roll

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2009-04-25 17:46:44

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

To answer your question honking ro is a loud ro with some of the overtones mixed into it. It is a combination of the players technique and the flute which determines how much the ro will honk. Many guys go overboard with it, it's a show off kind of thing. But it has its place.

#5 2009-04-25 18:09:53

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Ah thanks for the clip Edosan, that is very clear (and nice as well). I like it, I had a different expectation about it, but this is a rich sounding and rich of overtone kinda Ro. And yes, Tairaku, it feeled as a show off thing when people write about it, but in this clip I think it has its place for sure and gives it a cadence.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#6 2009-04-25 18:27:22

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Awhile ago someone sent me this song about the "Mighty Honk."

The Mighty Honk

#7 2009-04-25 18:35:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The gaijin students get aroused by this sound. I wonder if the Japanese do as well or is it just the honkeys?

Sometimes they go on honking ro excursions as a group and they all look like they're trying really hard to take a dump but they're constipated.

#8 2009-04-25 19:27:48

jaybeemusic

"Honking Ro Excursions?!?"    That sounds a bit to me like lookin for a "haggis" in Scotland......   you know.....the wee beastie that they send poor unsuspecting foreigners out to look for in the dead of night....

btw.....hey edosan..... why do you use 2shared?   not enough money for 4shared?...... it's not that much more expensive...   wink

jacques

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2009-04-25 19:28:16)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#9 2009-04-25 22:43:04

edosan
Edomologist

jaybeemusic wrote:

"Honking Ro Excursions?!?"    That sounds a bit to me like lookin for a "haggis" in Scotland......   you know.....the wee beastie that they send poor unsuspecting foreigners out to look for in the dead of night....

btw.....hey edosan..... why do you use 2shared?   not enough money for 4shared?...... it's not that much more expensive...   wink

jacques

Anything more than free, is expensive.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#10 2009-04-25 22:58:27

Zakarius

Tairaku wrote:

I wonder if the Japanese do as well or is it just the honkeys?

Terrible big_smile

Zak

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#11 2009-04-26 07:59:56

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Honking seems to be a descriptive used by some who don't want to take the time to explain the subtitles of dynamic expression fully.  Is there always a reason to play ro with that expression?  And if you feel that ro should be played loudly with a full compliment of overtones, does using the word 'honking' really give justice to what it is you are trying to express?
As a quick answer to Tairaku's question about the Japanese's use of 'honking', yes it is used and striven for as are many other dynamic techniques, but not for the sheer sake of honking.  It's use falls into the realm of personal interpretation of a piece and is a part of the personal sonic palette to be used at the player's discretion.  As with any technique, overuse gets monotonous.
With regard to Aoki Reibo's use of 'honking', he seems to have used it more for rhythmic purposes than to simply say, ' look at me!  I'm honking!'.  As is the case with all music, technique is nothing but a means to an end.  And that end, once realized may have little to do with technique, though technique can have everything to do with evo/devolution.

Last edited by Jeff Cairns (2009-04-26 08:02:16)

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#12 2009-04-26 09:42:12

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Just as a technique I think it has its place and can be nice, now that I have heared it. In my opinion the word Honk doen't do justice to it.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#13 2009-04-26 12:14:53

jaybeemusic

edosan wrote:

jaybeemusic wrote:

jacques

4shared IS free.....tongue

lol

Last edited by jaybeemusic (2009-04-26 12:15:15)

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#14 2009-04-26 19:50:49

edosan
Edomologist

jaybeemusic wrote:

edosan wrote:

jaybeemusic wrote:

jacques

4shared IS free.....tongue

lol

Sarashi Clip, with honking Ro (direct download link, NOT! You've got to pay in order to get direct download links, but this'll get you there):

http://dc148.4shared.com/download/10190 … 4-6ae154fb

OK, Brian, you happy now (I dislike registering on hosting sites, but I do it here for the greater good, whatever that is...)?

Last edited by edosan (2009-04-26 22:48:07)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#15 2009-04-26 20:53:33

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

OK, Brian, you happy now (I dislike registering on hosting sites, but I do it here for the greater good, whatever that is...)?

I don't know what I had to do with it, but yes any sacrifices members make to serve the masses of shakuhachi buffs is appreciated. smile

#16 2009-04-26 21:14:50

Glenn Swann
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Just as a technique I think it has its place and can be nice, now that I have heared it. In my opinion the word Honk doen't do justice to it.

i agree. perhaps "going to ground" with the ro? anyway, sounds pretty ok to me, does accent the rhythm nicely and "robustly"
... but then i would seem to be a honker myself.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#17 2009-04-26 21:31:42

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

edosan wrote:

I don't know what I had to do with it, but yes any sacrifices members make to serve the masses of shakuhachi buffs is appreciated. smile

Jaques, I meant, sorry for the error (but I do hope that Brian is happy). [And I must admit, it's a much better setup than 2Shared, which I think is 4Shared's crummy little brother. Isn't 4Shared where Bruce Hunter stashes all his riches?]

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#18 2009-04-26 23:28:53

Moran from Planet X
Website

Better than the "honk" I like the way he makes The Growl (about 25 seconds in; and near the end).

The Earl Bostic of the Shakuhachi!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#19 2009-04-27 01:13:20

airin
Website

Thanks for posting those two audio files demonstrating the deeply textured Ro used in context, Edosan.  And good question in the first place Bas, I was wondering that myself.

#20 2009-04-27 10:25:15

edosan
Edomologist

airin wrote:

Thanks for posting those two audio files demonstrating the deeply textured Ro used in context, Edosan.  And good question in the first place Bas, I was wondering that myself.

You're welcome. It's only one audio file, however, with two links to it smile

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#21 2009-04-27 12:14:36

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Hello,

Does someone has a sound sample of a honking Ro and a non-honking Ro?

thanks,

Bas

Hi Bas, here is a link to a previous discussion on the Honking Ro with another sound file.
http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 2265#p2265

It's just a slang for saying the tonic of a flute can take a strong embouchure technique to produce a loud ringing overtone. The term honk certainly does not do the sound justice, but it has become a modern criteria for some as a sign of a well-made flute. There are certainly very fine shakuhachi that are not held to this criteria.

Tairaku wrote:

The gaijin students get aroused by this sound. I wonder if the Japanese do as well or is it just the honkeys?

Marc Burner came by my shop once and filled the room with honkey o ku.  His words. smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#22 2009-04-27 12:59:57

Vevolis
Website

"Honking" is how I first distinguished Shakuhachi from other instruments and is my favorite technique so far. (The western flute can emulate it fairly well, but not even close)

It's that sound you hear in the beginning of a movie as the camera rises into the horizon over a harsh unforgiving landscape with the burning sun slightly off focus. Or in an anti-diuretic commercial where the office worker stumbes to the bathroom only to find the restroom is out of order... though that might be another sound.

#23 2009-04-27 13:28:40

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Thanks Perry,

I'll look into that link and soundclip.
due to my question about this sound\ technique I became much more aware of the overtones (and undertones) and find the concept op tone color and characteristics quite interesting, this is perhaps one of the aspects the shakuhachi is very 'good' at.

Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#24 2009-04-27 16:01:55

edosan
Edomologist

Yungflutes wrote:

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Hello,

Does someone has a sound sample of a honking Ro and a non-honking Ro?

thanks,

Bas

Hi Bas, here is a link to a previous discussion on the Honking Ro with another sound file.
http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopi … 2265#p2265

It's just a slang for saying the tonic of a flute can take a strong embouchure technique to produce a loud ringing overtone. The term honk certainly does not do the sound justice, but it has become a modern criteria for some as a sign of a well-made flute. There are certainly very fine shakuhachi that are not held to this criteria.

Tairaku wrote:

Marc Burner came by my shop once and filled the room with honkey o ku.  His words. smile

Here is a direct link to that sound clip (which is not immediately apparent from the above link):

http://www.yungflutes.com/logphotos/samples/B52RO.mp3

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#25 2009-04-28 03:12:14

Moran from Planet X
Website

Speaking of foghorn Ro I would refer back to the Myoan recordings  at http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … nryuu.html

Particularly to Miyagawa Nyozan (1868-1946). It's incredible that there are recordings of this fellow. He is cited by a few sources as the arranger/re-arranger of Ajikan.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer