World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2009-04-28 03:33:44

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Honking Ro?

I was curious about Aoki Reibo's 'growl' that Chris refers to.  I've heard it many times before and equally wondered on those occasions.  I suspect that it is the result of his shakuhachi not being able to handle the back pressure on that note which I would equally suspect is not such a desirable trait.  Although he doesn't seem to avoid it at all.  Is this where the weaknesses of an instrument falls short of dynamic intent?  My personal feeling is that intention was more important than the capabilities of the vehicle.  Any thoughts?

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#27 2009-04-28 06:17:01

purehappiness

That is one honk that perry does. What type and size flute is perry using on that recording. I want one.It sure sounds awesome.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#28 2009-04-28 06:51:11

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I was curious about Aoki Reibo's 'growl' that Chris refers to.  I've heard it many times before and equally wondered on those occasions.  I suspect that it is the result of his shakuhachi not being able to handle the back pressure on that note which I would equally suspect is not such a desirable trait.  Although he doesn't seem to avoid it at all.  Is this where the weaknesses of an instrument falls short of dynamic intent?  My personal feeling is that intention was more important than the capabilities of the vehicle.  Any thoughts?

I don't know the answer to this one Jeff, but Tairaku seems to make growls as well while playing longer flutes. I thought that was intentional and maybe is the same thing as Aoki Reibo's growl? Maybe Tairaku can comment on what he does or the technique he uses?

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#29 2009-04-28 09:46:27

lowonthetotem
Website

My teacher suggested blowing enough air to just begin to break into the Kan without going there as a way to improve overall tone for Ro as well as all the other notes.  I think that blowing muraiki and mixing Ostu and Kan in the "bellows" has a similar effect.  As time goes on, I find that posture and holding your head high while playing facilitate the "honk" and decreases how much air needs to be expended to reach it.

I don't really view the "honk" as a technique.  The advice given to me is to decide what your Ro (or other notes) are going to sound like (in otsu, kan, and dai kan) and commit yourself to making that sound.  I think that starting out I tended to concentrate on reading the score, which kept my head down and led me to playing flat.  Now, as I internalize/memorize more pieces, I am unlearning this.  I also play standing up alot more now, and that helps as well.  Looking down/reading, gave my Ro a "dead" quality.  The "honk" reflects more positive energy moving from me to the flute and a more alive sound, in my humble beginners opinion.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#30 2009-04-28 11:10:47

radi0gnome
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I think that blowing muraiki and mixing Ostu and Kan in the "bellows" has a similar effect.

What bellows?

I too thought of it as not really a technique, and that similar sounds can be and are made (by better players than me) on silver flute on the lowest notes, until I listened to Perry's audio. If that's the definition of a honk, I think it's different enough to call it a technique.

I'm finding that after spending a month or so of doing nothing more than trying to get notes in tune that I'm not playing around enough with varying strengths of blowing. Varying blowing strengths mucks with the pitch, which I'm pretty sure experienced player correct for, but I think it's a good thing to not be too reserved all the time.  I can get a hint of a honk, but it's not quite there yet. Maybe it's partly the flute(s) but I'm sure with practice I can get more sound out.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#31 2009-04-28 12:17:13

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

purehappiness wrote:

That is one honk that perry does. What type and size flute is perry using on that recording. I want one.It sure sounds awesome.

It was an unlacquered 2.4 Chikusing.

Bas wrote:

due to my question about this sound\ technique I became much more aware of the overtones (and undertones) and find the concept op tone color and characteristics quite interesting, this is perhaps one of the aspects the shakuhachi is very 'good' at.

The essence of the shakuachi, from my experience, starts with the understanding of all the possibilities within a single tone. A Ro will sound different when different players of different levels of ability play the flute.

lowonthetomem wrote:

I don't really view the "honk" as a technique.  The advice given to me is to decide what your Ro (or other notes) are going to sound like (in otsu, kan, and dai kan) and commit yourself to making that sound.

It requires a certain degree of technique to execute it, but certainly does not mean one should ever really do that with the context of a piece of music unless your teacher does it.

Good advice from you teacher. Most players try to copy the sound of their teacher. If the person has one teacher, the teacher's Ro will be the marker of progress. If the player has studied with more than one teacher, they will have choices to make. Could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

radi0nome wrote:

I'm finding that after spending a month or so of doing nothing more than trying to get notes in tune that I'm not playing around enough with varying strengths of blowing. Varying blowing strengths mucks with the pitch, which I'm pretty sure experienced player correct for, but I think it's a good thing to not be too reserved all the time.

Good observation. Most modern flutes are made to play in pitch with a measurable amount of overtone, which leads to the honk. This means the flute has to be played with a higher degree of volume. Otherwise it is just playing within the fundamental tone, which normally produces a slightly flat pitch.

I should mention that to truly understand a shakuhachi instrument, much more is involved than the ability to Honk!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#32 2009-04-28 13:59:38

purehappiness

Very nice perry. A chikusing may be in my future. smile Of course, I should get acquainted with my 2.0 earth model first. My relationship is getting better and better with it everyday.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-04-28 14:17:39)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#33 2009-04-28 14:09:45

lowonthetotem
Website

I suppose that what I mean by it not being a "technique" for me is that it IS the sound that I have decided will be Ro for me.  I don't just use it in this or that song.  For me it is the sound of Ro.  I like the way it vibrates as it approaches Kan and also the way Ro Kan vibrates, or rings, as it approaches breaking into the next octave.  I enjoy the way the sound seems to teater on the edge.  It is a nice exercise in delicate balance.

Muraiki means "bellows breath."

Last edited by lowonthetotem (2009-04-28 14:10:47)

#34 2009-04-28 16:58:53

radi0gnome
Website

lowonthetotem wrote:

I suppose that what I mean by it not being a "technique" for me is that it IS the sound that I have decided will be Ro for me.  I don't just use it in this or that song.  For me it is the sound of Ro.  I like the way it vibrates as it approaches Kan and also the way Ro Kan vibrates, or rings, as it approaches breaking into the next octave.  I enjoy the way the sound seems to teater on the edge.  It is a nice exercise in delicate balance.

Doesn't traditional music have places where a nice quiet Ro is more appropriate? It's great to push the limits of your dynamic and tonal range, but those limits exist in multiple directions. 

lowonthetotem wrote:

Muraiki means "bellows breath."

That's such an appropriate name, I know I keep running out of breath when attempting it.

#35 2009-04-28 22:32:00

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

"Honking" in Japanese is called "naru" or, it's a verb, "to naru". There are varying degrees of this. Some types of names have been offered here, "honking" and "growling", etc. It would be useful to have a common vocabulary but it has to built out of shared experiences. It's a bit subjective too without the audio references.  Big fat jinashi flutes don't usually "naru" according to jiari players  but they glow, growl and snarl. However, jinashi people (people who play mostly jinashi) use the word "naru" also but it points to a different sound. I heard Yokoyama Sensei come off stage and apologize for his flute not "naruing" that day. There are always flutes out there that seem to "cross the lines" but in general, the jinashi flutes that "naru" usually have a narrow bore and jiari flutes that don't "naru" usually have a big fat bore.

Perry wrote:

It requires a certain degree of technique to execute it, but certainly does not mean one should ever really do that with the context of a piece of music unless your teacher does it.

Another viewpoint would be that "honking" is like revving up an engine to hear it run and see what it can take. It takes technique in the embouchure and breathing which means......it takes technique. Some flutes do it more, some less and some not well at all.

The reason to practice this is that it's smart to practice something you can't do since you'll have to change how you play. If you are willing to do this (change) you'll learn something from it and maybe even develop technique if you do it long enough. You can always back off this "honk" when playing according to the energy that's appropriate to the song you're playing.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#36 2009-04-28 22:40:05

Moran from Planet X
Website

chikuzen wrote:

"Honking" in Japanese is called "naru" or, it's a verb, "to naru"

Is there a Japanese term for the type of growl that Aoki Reibo II gets from his instrument -- not on the Ro but on the Tsu or Re or ... (I can't recall which)?

Last edited by Chris Moran (2009-04-28 22:42:06)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#37 2009-04-29 06:01:28

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

Is there a Japanese term for the type of growl that Aoki Reibo II gets from his instrument -- not on the Ro but on the Tsu or Re or ... (I can't recall which)?

This was the 'growling' sound that I was referring to above though I think of it more as fluttering.  I don't think that it is a technique at all, but rather an indication that his flute can't quite handle the volume and concentration of air that he is pushing.  It may well be that he likes the sound or at least thinks that it's not undesirable since he does it a lot and it would be strange if he weren't aware of it.  I have never heard anybody consistently make that sound other than him.
The growling attributed to Tairaku (above) is different as far as I know.  Without a sound bite to listen to, I might be thinking of something else, but Tairaku's growl seems to be something more vocal than flute generated.  Certainly he can clear that up though.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#38 2009-04-29 07:31:58

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Bas Nijenhuis wrote:

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I don't know the answer to this one Jeff, but Tairaku seems to make growls as well while playing longer flutes. I thought that was intentional and maybe is the same thing as Aoki Reibo's growl? Maybe Tairaku can comment on what he does or the technique he uses?

I heard Aoki Sensei doing this in Boulder. It was the sound of him blowing so hard that the tsu and re notes were on the verge of breaking up. Not vocally created disturbance. He was doing it on 1.8 and 1.9.

What you're talking about me doing is probably vocal growling in the manner of sax players during the performance, but I also get distortion through strong blowing a la Reibo.

Plenty of different ways to get those sounds. It just depends upon how pure or dirty a sound you want. I like to mix both for contrast. The important thing is to be in control. Some people grunt and moan during playing without realizing it. Other people cultivate a sweet tone at all times, which is boring.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#39 2009-04-29 07:54:14

ABRAXAS

There is a shakuhachi growl that is not vocal growling, if I'm thinking of the same thing as others as "growling".

At first I thought it was only possible on long flutes (I can only do it on some of my long flutes), but recently Perry Yung posted a video of you, Tairaku, playing a 1.6 (?) that you definately get a growling tone out of.

I think you're playing Sankara Sugagaki.

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#40 2009-04-29 08:39:53

radi0gnome
Website

ABRAXAS wrote:

At first I thought it was only possible on long flutes (I can only do it on some of my long flutes), but recently Perry Yung posted a video of you, Tairaku, playing a 1.6 (?) that you definately get a growling tone out of.

Do you mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYRr2IPMic

That's some very nice playing on a 1.1!

The growl starts at 55 seconds into it and is revisited a bit later too.

Last edited by radi0gnome (2009-04-29 08:42:02)

#41 2009-04-29 08:54:10

purehappiness

Could a jinashi non-root end honk? just curious.I get some loud tone but I go into kan right afterwards.It is nothing like these posted.

Lieh-tzu

#42 2009-04-29 08:56:34

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

In that fragment it sounds like a verbal sound mixed in the shakuhachi like Tairaku said as you can do with sax to distort the sound.
and thanks Chikuzen for your nice explanation on 'honking' it is very clear!

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#43 2009-04-29 09:13:24

lowonthetotem
Website

Doesn't traditional music have places where a nice quiet Ro is more appropriate? It's great to push the limits of your dynamic and tonal range, but those limits exist in multiple directions.

I guess it is kind of misleading to say that I have committed myself to this sound as Ro.  This is the sound I practice as Ro because I have tended to play flat/dead so far.  During practice, I try to play keri notes VERY keri and meri notes VERY meri, mostly because when I play songs I tend to become complacent in the degree to which I move my head/chin.  Exagerating these movements during practice seems to lead to less complacency during songs.  Exagerating the "honk," which is a name I don't like so much because it sounds more like a ringing sound to me, ringing a large bell in otsu and a smaller one in kan, in practice leads to a more dynamic sound, whether it is loud or soft or whatever.  As someone pointed out in another thread, when there are many notes, the value of each singular note is decreased, so in folk songs and other tunes I may not take the time to really accentuate things like this because before you know it, you are on to the next note (Maybe I go on to the next note a little TOO quickly in some cases, wink).  In other pieces, like some honkyoku, Ro will be played for an entire breath.  In these instances, I certainly take the time to really push the envelope of whatever octave I am in with Ro or any other note that calls for such emphasis.  So yes, different songs call for different sounds, but practice is for tweaking and polishing those things that you do through habit.  I don't need to practice a softer or flatter Ro because I seem to accomplish it without much effort.  During practice with the tuner, I seldom worry about hitting the exact note and attempt more to go about 5 or 10cents sharp on keri notes.  On meri notes I often try to go 5 or 10 cents flat of the note because my tendency to play flat has not really spilled into meri.  I guess really my tendency is to be lazy and limit my head/chin movement, so I try to exagerate that during practice.

#44 2009-04-29 11:35:51

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Jeff wrote:

This was the 'growling' sound that I was referring to above though I think of it more as fluttering.  I don't think that it is a technique at all, but rather an indication that his flute can't quite handle the volume and concentration of air that he is pushing.  It may well be that he likes the sound or at least thinks that it's not undesirable since he does it a lot and it would be strange if he weren't aware of it.  I have never heard anybody consistently make that sound other than him.
The growling attributed to Tairaku (above) is different as far as I know.  Without a sound bite to listen to, I might be thinking of something else, but Tairaku's growl seems to be something more vocal than flute generated.  Certainly he can clear that up though.

Ok, now I know what sound you're talking about Aoki playing. Yes, it's on purpose. It's a signature thing too. David Wheeler does this a lot. It's a signature thing, or at least, it turns out to be one for him too. It's actually pretty cool in my book as he stamps his songs with it like Quarentino (?) (Pulp Fiction, etc.) showing up in his movies.  I heard some Yokoyama guys making fun of Aoki in Boulder because of it, thinking it was accidental and also thinking it was a sound produced by/in the throat. Not so at all. The dude is a Living National Treasure and came to Boulder with his abilities in tact. He was awesome. Yes, that's a "growl" of sorts but we should call it a "gargle" since it stays in his mouth and it's definitley not a "honk". Our vocabulary list is growing! That's good. His honk is just a full strong RO coming out the end of the shakuhachi where it sounds like the flute wants to blow up. The sounds: "honk" vs. "gargle" exist in different places:the "honk" comes out the bottom and the "gargle" stays in the mouth. Not unlike Godzilla vs. Marmaduke.

The Taimu and big jinashi flutes tend to have a "buzz" at the blowing edge a lot that accompanies the "ring" down in the bottom. You can play a duet by yourself with these. Tairaku, you could put finger symbols on your toes and tap that 3.8 for your rhythm section while playing!
You could be the first "One Man Shaku Band" if you work on it. Start your own RU Ha.

Jeff here was on to something concerning the back pressure the flute the flute provides. You need it to make this sound. Pus an image of "swallowing" the sound or "chewing" on the sound. It would be worth your practice time to focus on those two images and see what happens. This phenonmena of "swallowing" the sound is also tied into the projecting KI conversation (direct it down the throat) and also the "how to make meri"  conversation: maybe one of those 6 ways_Radiognome! But definitley not tied into the "How to Make Merry" with Bombay Saffire conversation.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#45 2009-04-29 11:57:54

ABRAXAS

Radiognome - yes that is the clip, thank you!

I can't speak for what Tairaku is doing in that clip, but the same growl appears in some of his other youtube clips (from Mujitsu), I have found a similar (if not identical) sound, more readily on some flutes than others, probably beyond my ability to articulate, but it has more to do with how the air is dumped into each note rather than any specific throat/tongue vibrato or anything I would describe as a "gargle." When I get that sound I'm not aware of doing anything different with my throat or tongue, and I'm definately not vocalizing at all (I know because I sometimes do that and it is completely different), it is more how I'm pushing the breath into the note. I would almost describe it as a "low drag" (but not "meri"). My Taimu is good at it but I have to warm up to find and hold it above RO - TSU. I have a 2.8 wide-bore hocchiku from Perry that I was amazed how readily I found the growl all the way up the otsu-scale. It is also different than the "buzz" that happens on the utaguchi-edge of the Taimu and other hocchiku that I have. It feels like it's happening deep in the bore of the flute rather than with the mouth.

Maybe Tairaku can clarify if I am on the right or wrong track, or what his technical details are, if we are all talking about the same thing, or if I'm nuts. wink

Last edited by ABRAXAS (2009-04-29 12:08:15)

#46 2009-04-29 12:51:59

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

You're right. Gargle isn't the right word for this since this one involves the blowing edge too.  I'll let Tairaku expound if he wishes too.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#47 2009-04-29 13:03:26

ABRAXAS

Not second-guessing you at all, I'm just curious/deferring to Tairaku as he's probably the best authority on whats going on when he gets that sound. wink

I'm interested to see if I'm on track on my own at all or just wallowing in my own weirdness.

#48 2009-04-29 15:38:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

ABRAXAS wrote:

Do you mean this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYRr2IPMic

That's some very nice playing on a 1.1!

The growl starts at 55 seconds into it and is revisited a bit later too.

Oops, wrong info on my part.  It's a modern Jiari 1.3 in Ab, around 39cm or 15".
These short flutes are not easy to play. The bore is extremely small compared with a 1.8, the choke point being about the diameter of a pencil. Everything is heightened. They're sort of "touchy feely" so the "growl" is more pronounced. Tairaku picked up the flute and just started playing it. I was lucky to have my camera handy to capture the moment. Ran out of memory quickly though sad

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#49 2009-04-29 17:47:02

rpowers

chikuzen wrote:

Not unlike Godzilla vs. Marmaduke.

Good cross-cultural concept. At least for those who know the characters, this is much less ambiguous than the other descriptions.

Nuclear breath vs. Listerine?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#50 2009-04-29 18:18:09

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

[
I heard Aoki Sensei doing this in Boulder. It was the sound of him blowing so hard that the tsu and re notes were on the verge of breaking up. Not vocally created disturbance. He was doing it on 1.8 and 1.9.

Yes, in his recordings he seems to do it quite intentionally. I suppose it could be considered a mura iki on the tsu-re?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

Board footer