Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Skype review (pulled from another thread)

#1 2009-05-01 12:05:32

radi0gnome
Website

Skype review (pulled from another thread)

NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATION:  This thread has been split from another thread. Therefore, parts of some posts may appear out of context.

I haven't taken any online lessons with Chikuzen yet, or even taken any online lessons for shakuhachi. But, I have taken 1 online lesson (tried for 2 though) for a different instrument and had a really awful experience with the technology. After some google searches I see that I'm far from alone with having problems with Skype, so just in case anyone else is here is having similar problems, I'll fill you in on my experience.

First, I had some problems getting around on Internet Explorer 7 after downloading Skype. I found a workaround for this by using the Firefox browser instead, and the first lesson went fine except that the teacher said he wasn't getting good sound on his end. So, I got a Logitech Quickcam Fusion to replace the no name $13 (shipping included!) webcam I originally had. Initial testing of the webcam seemed to go well so I happily spent the weeks between then and my second lesson only using Linux on my home computer with the Linux/Microsoft dual-boot. Then, an hour and a half before the second lesson I tried booting into Microsoft XP Windows and I couldn't, the computer kept rebooting. After some cussing and panic, it finally came up and everything looked good... until the lesson, the teacher and I connect and can see and speak to each other, but after about 3 minutes the computer reboots itself. So much for that lesson. I had to reschedule.

The first thing I needed to do was to get the rebooting problem fixed. I did this by going to Start, then right-clicking "My computer", selecting properties, clicking the "advanced" tab, clicking "Settings" in the "startup and recovery" section, and unchecking the box that says to "automatically restart" for system failures.

Now instead of a reboot I get the dreaded Windows BSOD or "Blue Screen Of Death". Not much of an improvement, but now at least I've got some additional information on that BSOD to google. That information didn't help all that much in my case, but it's a start in alleviating the frustration of mysterious reboots for any reason.

So, some further googling and I find out that the problem is often a driver conflict. I go to "Start", "run...", type in "msconfig", hit "OK", select the "services" tab on the "system configuration" panel that comes up, check "hide all microsoft services" (because the problem most likely isn't there), and look at what's left.

There's a good chance you won't know what those services are by just the name, so go to "Start", "run...", type in "services.msc", click "OK" and on that panel you'll see all the services with a description about what they are. That along with some googling should help identify what you don't need.

In my case, I not only had the driver for the first el-cheapo webcam I tried running (which was probably most of the problem), but I also had some Norton Anti-virus services running even though I had uninstalled Norton and switched to ESET NOD32 late last year, and a couple services for something called Viewpoint running, along with some services that I was pretty sure needed to run (mostly ESET and logitech). So, I unchecked the boxes for the Norton Anti-virus services (one was live-update) and then went to "Start", "control panel", "add or remove programs..." and uninstalled the old webcam software and Viewpoint.

Now she runs like a champ... I think. That's another problem, it's difficult to check if everything is working correctly. There's a Skype video call test contact you can find either from Tapur.com or from doing a contact search on "video test call" (it's the one located in Japan called echo123), but they don't always pick up and the results I got back, while I suspect it's a problem on their end, didn't boost my confidence level nearly to the 100% that I'd like.

I also think I got the webcam with Skype working on Linux, but again, without a good test facility I don't have a whole lot of confidence.

So, if anybody is rushing to get set up as the result of this thread and needs someone to contact to make sure everything is working well, please contact me via email and I'll give you my Skype ID so that we can try connecting. I know it would be best to contact someone with a setup that's known to be working, but I'm desperate. Any suggestions from techies out there would be welcome too, but maybe offline or in the non-shakuhachi section of the forum would probably be more appropriate (as is this post, if any moderators deem it as inappropriate for this thread feel free to move it).

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#2 2009-05-01 12:44:37

airin
Website

Re: Skype review (pulled from another thread)

Very interesting to read about your experiences radi0gnome.  I know what you mean about trying to set up Skype with no one 'live' to test it with.  I have been using Skype on my netbook because it seems that with the built in mic and webcam it is much less hassle than working off of my big desktop.  I had one skype conversation with a friend back east and it did go quite well though we used headphones to improve the sound.  I'm not sure how that would translate to playing an instrument over skype though.  Lots of ideas to ponder here.

#3 2009-05-01 22:45:58

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I never had problems with Skype during my lessons. I have 3 computers in my house (old & new) I use headphones (that kills the feadback ;-) That helps to listen to the sound better.

Anyway, I just to point out that this is a revew section for Chikuzen Lessons. If you guys want to continue talk about Skype open another thread.

Last edited by geni (2009-05-02 11:40:50)

#4 2009-05-02 08:55:32

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I'd like to add my praise of Chikuzen to begin with, both as a performer and teacher.
He's also a great guy !!

But as for SKYPE, I'm afraid I have to grade it a D-..
I Have been offering SYPE lessons for over 2 years now, but fortunately, most of my "cyber" students (6 foreign countries and 26 states), choose the system that we set up about 7 years ago using a program (free download) called AUDACITY. Before that I just used "cassette" lessons for the previous 20 years or so.

Problems with SKYPE:
1- Sorry, I get feedback. When I do a lesson with a remote student , obviously my sound must be , at least a little LOUDER then the student.
This doesn't work for me without feedback when I'm on SKYPE
2-The AUDACITY system leaves the student with an MP3 that they can do what they like with.

If anyone is interested in how this works, go to this page <http://www.nyogetsu.com/events.html> on my website, scroll to the bottom, and follow instructions.

It has been wonderful to be able to help so many students who have no face-to-face access to an instructor!

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#5 2009-05-02 10:59:59

BrianP
Website

Ronnie, with all due respect  (of which you definitely have mine) I have been using Skype with Michael for the last year and I have had no problems.  I cannot in all fairness know how uploading a recording of my piece played wrong to a server and then waiting on someone to send me back feedback in which I am stuck trying to interpret can help more than the immediate feedback I can get in a one on one lesson.  There are times when I have techniques explained to me in person I don't get right away and I have questions about.  If I am practicing a piece wrong for a week building the incorrect muscle memory only to then have it corrected with an explanation I don't quite understand or misinterpreted I am not doing myself any favors.  When I have a one on one skype lesson with Michael or anyone for that matter it is essentially the same as being right there. I cannot play while he plays but to be honest I prefer the system we have of echoing each other.  That really lets me hear the subtleties that I normally miss when I am tring to mirror my teachers playing.  Michael while on skype can see errors in my playing while I am making them and help me not to develop the bad habit associated with it.  He can even see when I am not rolling my finger down quite far enough for Tsu dai meri and reminds me to do it.  I believe skype allows a more thorough system for those who are without a local teacher and want the most thorough method possible which closely emulates the in person experience.  I want to be able to get immediate feedback and answers to my questions while I am in the middle of playing the piece at a lesson for the reasons detailed above.  If I am recording myself playing poorly and sending it in to a teacher and then waiting for feedback I am not doing myself any favors.  I also don't see how it is possible with that method to see what I am doing and how I am producing the sounds on the recording.  It would prevent you from using the full diagnostic capabilities all the senses offer you to help the student and limiting you only to using the sense of sound.  As I said before I have taken lessons with you and I respect you and all your contributions to the shakuhachi world but I don't feel it is respectful to come into a review on a great teacher and criticize his main means of teaching students from afar when your own method lacks even more substance an validity.  It is obvious that skype works very well for those who take the time to set it up properly.  It is well worth the time to figure skype out and get the full benefits it offers. 

I in no way intend to ruffle any feathers with this post nor damage my relationship with Ronnie but I felt it would be a disservice to everyone to allow that post to influence anyone away from a  system of learning that has so much potential for those willing to work with it.

Sincerely,

Brian Purdy

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#6 2009-05-02 11:03:30

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

anyway. the solution of feadback is...Headphones!!!

#7 2009-05-02 11:12:11

BrianP
Website

PS .  Using Audacity you can record your lessons audio while on skype also so you have the whole lesson recorded as it pertains to you specifically.  If anyone has any questions on how to use audacity as a recorder while you are taking a skype lesson please click here: http://tryingtofollow.com/2006/03/31/5- … city-free/

Brian

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#8 2009-05-02 13:03:37

airin
Website

A few questions about that Audacity recording of Skype option. If I understand it correctly, you need to unckeck Skype's  'automatically adjust mic and speaker' settings found under 'options', correct?

And then in Audacity, under 'Edit' and 'Preferences' go to 'Audio I/D' and change the 'device' setting under 'recording'?  Is that correct?

Sorry for these technical questions but I am will be experimenting with this set up in anticipation for my first internet skype lesson later this coming week.  Be nice to have the tech stuff fairly sorted out so I can just concentrate on the lesson itself.

thanks in advance for your assistance!
Erin

#9 2009-05-02 13:16:59

BrianP
Website

That should work Airin.

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#10 2009-05-02 13:46:45

airin
Website

Thanks Brian!

#11 2009-05-02 14:02:10

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Nyogetsu wrote:

But as for SKYPE, I'm afraid I have to grade it a D-.

Skype=D-?  I give skype an A+. Nyogetsu, have you tried skype out in the last year and a half? They have been upgrading so maybe you'll find a difference now.  What you're saying is completely inconsistent with mine and many others experiences. I have absolutely no trouble with skype. ZERO! If you have trouble with everyone than I imagine it has more to do with your system than skype. I have students in many countries and all across the states too, also 35 on Mars, 88 on Jupiter and 106 on Venus and they all have good reception! Seriously, I have only two students having troubles: one uses satellite and the other an old computer that has it's own inherent problems. So, I have to say that I would advise people to not be scared away from skype by your experiences with it. It's interactive, dependable and FREE.

The feedback problem can be fixed in one of two ways: move the mic away from the speakers or have the students turn their volume down a bit. It's evident that you can't play at the same time over skype. You have to adjust the teaching style to the medium. I've always used an "echo" method where I play the riff(s) and then the student. This has some advantages over the "playing together" style as the student can watch you play and focus on the sound and visual instead of staring down the score.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#12 2009-05-02 17:41:20

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Thanks for the reply, Michael...
I'll answer some of your points:

" Nyogetsu, have you tried skype out in the last year and a half? They have been upgrading so maybe you'll find a difference now."

You have a point ! It has honestly been a long amount of time since I've tried.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
" I have students in many countries and all across the states too, also 35 on Mars, 88 on Jupiter and 106 on Venus ...."

I think I may have a few Interplanetary students myself !
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
" It's evident that you can't play at the same time over skype. "

This is the key phrase. I guess I'm old-school, and really believe that for my style of teaching, the student should be playing at the same time as the teacher (or be able to at a later point in time). THIS IS when I experience the feedback when I have tried SLYPE in the past (That is - when attempting to play at the same time with students. I will teach students without playing at the same time (Yes, that means I will teach students if they prefer to use SKYPE, but I think that the AUDACITY system works better for me and my students.
"You have to adjust the teaching style to the medium. I've always used an "echo" method where I play the riff(s) and then the student. This has some advantages over the "playing together" style as the student can watch you play and focus on the sound and visual instead of staring down the score."

Again - good point - the visual is a plus, but I gave up that style of "I play- you play- I play", over 40 years ago, when I stopped teaching guitar.
I just love the way that my teacher always played with me, and yet a bit better then I could play!
That is what I've always tried to emulate, and why I've been satisfied with my system (designed by Tim Larkin).

Oh, one more thing- I think my system works best if you are incredibly loquatious (read: if you are a "chatty Kathy") and have a tendency to repeat yourself a lot - which I do!! This gives the student a good chance to get the point of the lesson.

And finally, I do not want to dissuade any one from using SKYPE if it works for them, and certainly not from studying with Michael - of whose teaching and performing abilities , again, I can not praise highly enough!!

#13 2009-05-02 18:00:19

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

To answer some of Brian P.'s comments (I never can figure out the "quote" technique on this forum !):

1-Brian, you are correct that the immediacy of SKYPE is a definite plus.
After all the ultimate (when possible) would be a face-to-face lesson with your teacher.
And if you would have to wait a week, it would be a shame. I know this because I used to only teach cassette-lessons to far-off students, and it was often one or 2 weeks by the time students would get their lessons back from me.

But I must say, that since students immediately notify me nowadays (via email) when their lesson is in their FOLDER (in my .mac system), it is only in the rarest of situations that they don't get a return lesson back into their Folders within the next day or two.

2-I believe that I have (in my previous reply to Michael), just explained how AUDACITY works best for me (although what you say about AUDACITY plus SKYPE is mighty interesting !).

And finally, I know that you realize that I have not disparaged Michael or his system at all.
And you have been very gracious to me (and a good student whenever you have taken lessons from me).

But again - for me (and I can't speak for others), I know what works best. And this is for almost 40 years of teaching full-time, and being the first teacher to teach remote lessons over 30 years ago.

#14 2009-05-02 18:14:23

radi0gnome
Website

chikuzen wrote:

Nyogetsu wrote:

But as for SKYPE, I'm afraid I have to grade it a D-.

Skype=D-?  I give skype an A+.

My post that started this wasn't Skype bashing, it was more of an offer of help to some that might have run up upon similar problems to mine (also with hopes that someone would say that I could connect with them to test my getting it fixed, no offers so I guess I'll cross my fingers and pray this coming Wednesday). But if I were to rate Skype, as software I'd give it an A, it was easy to install and easy to use and worked as well as the underlying technology allows. As far as how well it works with the underlying technology, I think I'd rate it somewhat lower, maybe a B-. I guess it's OK for music lessons when you work around the annoyance that you can't play along with the teacher, but if it was going to be used for anything where much movement is involved, it's got some problems. My singing teacher of long ago was often asking me put some movement into it to help free things up, her lessons wouldn't have translated to Skype well at all unless you ignored the jerky video feed. I sort of question about how easy it is to see small details too, was that rolled Tsu meri mistake mentioned earlier picked up more by listening or watching? Part of the reason I choose to upgrade to the Quickcam Fusion webcam was because it has a somewhat wide angle, aside from the mic problems with the first webcam it didn't get the whole instrument (a ney) into the picture and the teacher had to ask me if I was half-holing a note or not because he couldn't see. Longer shakuhachi would have the same problem with some webcams. Due to video quality, I'm kind of doubting my teacher could see that kind of detail even if my hands were in the video anyway. 

chikuzen wrote:

Seriously, I have only two students having troubles: one uses satellite and the other an old computer that has it's own inherent problems.

Was the "old" computer that old? Mine is from early 2004, I guess kind of ancient, but my problems were more because there was junk on there I either never uninstalled or it didn't get uninstalled correctly. The bulk of the problem was most likely that I never uninstalled the previous webcam software before I installed the new webcam. I guess that could be chalked up to stupidity, but USB devices are supposed to be plug-and-play, right?

I suspect that the problem with Skype causing Internet Explorer to hang was because it didn't coexist well with the Viewpoint media player software that was on my computer, if "old" means that a computer has stuff on it from a couple years earlier that causes problems with Skype I'd call that a bug in the Skype software.       

chikuzen wrote:

So, I have to say that I would advise people to not be scared away from skype by your experiences with it. It's interactive, dependable and FREE.

I agree totally there. But the Skype developers are trying to get their software working on many different hardware and software configurations, it's understandable that it's not going to be a piece of cake to get working for everyone. 

I remember seeing the Ma Bell exhibit at the '64 World's Fair when I was a kid. They were boasting of technology where you could make video calls. Now, 40+ years later it's finally here, Yippeeee!

#15 2009-05-02 18:17:25

nyokai
shihan
Website

I teach many students via Skype (including in faraway places) and have had very few problems -- occasionally a dropped connection, but not very often. Yes, it requires adapting one's teaching style, but I haven't found that to be a bad thing. With recent versions of Skype, I haven't even had feedback problems. I use a Macbook (built-in video camera) with a cheap USB mic (BLUE Snowball). I never use headphones -- hasn't been necessary in quite a while.

#16 2009-05-02 18:26:22

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Phil,

Well, considering that you were able to stick it out with me and learn the ENTIRE repertoire (no simple task !) with cassette lessons, and that I always respect your opinion (as well as Michael's and Brian's, of course !) - maybe I should give this SKYPE thing more attention!!

I have always been willing to teach via SKYPE, but I guess I have dissuaded students who ask about it..
I will try to be more open-minded in the future!!

#17 2009-05-02 19:53:06

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi all... 

I make lessons with Michael using skype. They are really good... whatever is the problem that appeared during the lessons (and they are not many, just one or two in the time when I was using the internet in a slower connection at my sisters house), we resolved in time, and also, we knew what the trouble was... So I am almost totally satisfied (and I like a LOT the echo etudes), I only not totally satisfied because I would like to play some duets alive with my teacher... but anyway, in this case, he had gently provide all the records of songs which we are studying, not only the solo one's, but also the separated voices one and two of all duets! So I put the voice that  I will not be playing at the sound system, at a volume equivalent of my natural playing, and I just have a lot of good moments like that... I close my eyes and my sensei is by my side... 

Now, about the "record and send" system, this kind of lesson can, maybe, not have the speed of feedback from your teacher, BUT, it have a great, a really great way of have improvements that skype doesn't have... since you need to send to your sensei a record from yourself playing the last piece learned, you need to study a lot....record...hear it...say with sincerity "that's not good." Study to get a better, natural, fluid sound...record again...say again that you are still not good, not natural, "I am forcing something on my playing", then you record yourself again and definitively say, "well, that's the best I could do at that moment",  then you send the recording, knowing that your studies and your daily playing life will be good to you...  this kind of practice can be really good, because you HEAR yourself... It's natural? Yes, it's natural to hear ourselves when we play, AT THE MOMENT we are playing, but it's not natural to hear ourselves when we are not playing, on records... this is technology, and we can use technology, and can use it in very good ways, but we can't lost the purity of a single moment...   

So on this case I think those sistems got complete... one allows you a benefit of, as Nyogetsu said,  "the repetition" and the opportunity of hear how you're sounding. Other system allows you to play the best you can at that moment, and then have a comment about it from your teacher, and even beter, the chance to correct some things instantly, without stay for some days, or weeks playing wrong... 

I, and this is a personal choice at the moment, would like to continue the skype lessons, because that it's a vivid thing, in which I can see, even with some delay sometimes, the face of my sensei finding strange what I played, hehehuehe ... I will keep trying to make regular recordings of myself to have the diferent feeling of "what I think I am playing, when I am playing" and hearing it, and from what it could be sounding to other people or lives hearing me... it's a tool, using the permanent, the past, the "what I have done", and to feel, in the present, how I can start a new future... 

Peace to all!!!

Last edited by Musgo da Pedra (2009-05-02 20:01:53)

Omnia mea mecum porto

#18 2009-05-03 11:37:57

nyokai
shihan
Website

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

...it have a great, a really great way of have improvements that skype doesn't have... since you need to send to your sensei a record from yourself playing the last piece learned, you need to study a lot....record...hear it...say with sincerity "that's not good." Study to get a better, natural, fluid sound...record again...say again that you are still not good, not natural, "I am forcing something on my playing", then you record yourself again and definitively say, "well, that's the best I could do at that moment",  then you send the recording, knowing that your studies and your daily playing life will be good to you...  this kind of practice can be really good, because you HEAR yourself...

Very true, cassette or recorded file lessons psychologically force you to learn a piece very well, since you have to hear yourself back with all your mistakes. It is especially good for sankyoku. I remember recording entire 15-minute pieces five or six times before sending them off -- and that after a week of practice. By the end of that process you know a piece pretty well.

But, as you mention, Skype has its advantages as well, though it may be less rigorous in some ways.

#19 2009-05-03 12:47:54

Musgo da Pedra
Website

nyokai wrote:

It is especially good for sankyoku.

Why especially for sankyoku?

Omnia mea mecum porto

#20 2009-05-03 13:14:29

radi0gnome
Website

nyokai wrote:

Very true, cassette or recorded file lessons psychologically force you to learn a piece very well, since you have to hear yourself back with all your mistakes. It is especially good for sankyoku. I remember recording entire 15-minute pieces five or six times before sending them off -- and that after a week of practice. By the end of that process you know a piece pretty well.

That would mean cassette or uploaded file lessons would have some advantage over live lessons with a teacher in the same room. Maybe the best learning would take place with live lessons complimented with home recording by the student. I've heard teachers of other instruments recommend home recordings before, but they never mentioned that they wanted to hear them. That might be an important motivational factor.

#21 2009-05-03 15:10:47

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

There is still nothing better then a live face-to-face lesson.

But there are ways to supplement (?), or even enrich that experience. Here are a few ideas:

1-Approximately 90% of my students record their lessons with me - mostly on an iPod or some type of mP3 recorder (although there are some who record onto their laptops, or cell-phones !).
This way they can review all points, and play along with me at home. Again, it helps if a teacher is very verbal when you know a student will be listening to a point, suggestion, or a "rule" that you are making during their lesson.

2-They can "go over" the lesson in different ways. I have a DVD with my playing the SHODEN Gaikyoku, for example, if they need to "see me" while playing along.
I have also recorded a CD, as well, of the entire first (Introductory) book that we use. I made this recording so that the student could play along with me, but it also helps the student in understanding both the Japanese notational system, and is an aid in enabling the rhythm to be understood.

3-I am always willing to "lay down" a track of whatever the student's lesson is onto their recording device -during the lesson- so the student can work "with me" when she/he is at home.

There are more things that can be done, but these are a few that just come to mind.
Of course, the most important thing that a teacher can do is to inspire the student to play and practice.
Because it is the student that really "teaches" themselves.

#22 2009-05-03 19:14:10

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

radiognome wrote:

That would mean cassette or uploaded file lessons would have some advantage over live lessons with a teacher in the same room. Maybe the best learning would take place with live lessons complimented with home recording by the student. I've heard teachers of other instruments recommend home recordings before, but they never mentioned that they wanted to hear them. That might be an important motivational factor.

Live lessons are the best for receiving all that is impressed upon you along with the sound. I also play along with the students when teaching at my studio. Then I have them play alone. Else they have a tendency to "hide behind the teacher" forever and remain dependent upon the teacher.  Playing along with the teacher is akin to playing along with bigger kids in sports when growing up. You develop faster. You match up with the teacher's sound and "go places you can't go by yourself". Then when you go home your "job" is to reproduce those sounds by yourself. In the process you become conscious of how to make the sounds (hopefully).  However, as previously mentioned, since we can't play at the same time (yet) on skype,  the echo system is quite useful. I find that the students focus in tremendously when trying to reproduce a riff. Then they can find out immediately what they need to tweak. So even though the two are far apart, skype allows   for the student/teacher relationship to grow in a healthy way as the teacher can be supportive in manner and speech that let's the student know they're not there to beat up the student!

From a teaching challenge standpoint, I enjoy the situation where I have maybe only a moment to grasp onto something that is going on with the student, whether concerning the physical aspect of playing or the mental, and by using words catered for that person, advise them somehow in a most effective way. This is what private lessons are about and this can be done both in person and on skype.

As a compliment to skype lessons, when it's possible, students attend the camps I hold for their "live" lessons 2 or 3 times a year. This makes skype more effective.

As for recording, it has been mentioned that there is software to use for recording a video of your skype lesson.

Also concerning recording oneself, one can do this (and arguably should do this) whether one is studying on skype or not. So it's not really an issue when it comes to reviewing skype. Most serious students (in my opinion) record themselves. Part of my method for moving on from a piece is having the student record themselves and send it to me. I'm not sure which poisen the student would chose to pick: facing the teacher to play the whole piece or facing a mic. I believe doing both is best. As Phil mentioned, one can re-record several times and that makes you learn the piece better.

All teachers can take advantage of modern technology to supplement students' learning processes. Gathering materials and creating educational tools is part of teaching in any field. Steering students to materials, i.e. educating them to what there is out there in the way of instructional material: cds, dvds, scores, etc. is a given. I also make books with accompanying cds using a 1.8; or provide mp3s, etc., etc. So, the point being, that if you can't have a "live" lesson, and the availability of materials is somewhat the same, and it's a fact that you can record yourself (even if you use skype) as a motivational technique, the wonderful, effective and different thing about skype technology is that it is INTERACTIVE. In other words, it IS a "live" lesson and much of the inspirational spirit coming from the teacher is felt and a chance to develop a relationship in person with each other, where you are reacting off of each other's energies in real time, is afforded.

Phil wrote:

Musgo da Pedra wrote:

Why especially for sankyoku?
Because sankyoku has set rhythms that you have to practice over and over.

There are also instructional tapes that have Sankyoku pieces where the shakuhachi comes out of one speaker and the koto/shamisen out of the other. Greta for practice!

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-05-03 20:28:45)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#23 2009-05-03 22:14:15

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

radiognome wrote:

. I sort of question about how easy it is to see small details too, was that rolled Tsu meri mistake mentioned earlier picked up more by listening or watching?

Both. Knowing what to listen for and what to watch for make it easier.

radiognome wrote:

.Was the "old" computer that old? Mine is from early 2004,

You're a dinosaur in computer years. His was 4 years old. Computers are much much better and so is skype. Most of your view points would change if you had up to date stuff.

radiognome wrote:

I suspect that the problem with Skype causing Internet Explorer to hang was because it didn't coexist well with the Viewpoint media player software that was on my

This is one of the early problems I had with my old "media center" software that came with the first camera I bought. I often found my video showing me inmy media center and would have to redirect the image to skype each time I went on. I took it off and got the simple camera (no media center).

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#24 2009-05-03 22:21:05

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Radiognome,are you planing to take some Skype lessons soon? from your enthusiam to talk about it, seems like it:-) I will give you half price jazz shakuhachi lessons!

Geni cool

Last edited by geni (2009-05-03 23:53:10)

#25 2009-05-03 22:47:11

airin
Website

geni wrote:

Radiognome,are you planing to take some Skype any lessons soon? from your enthusiam to talk about it, seems like it:-) I will give you half price jazz shakuhachi lessons!

Geni cool

Ohh, that's a good offer...I'd go for it, Radi0nome!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Skype review (pulled from another thread)

Board footer