Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-05-07 19:25:43

axolotl
Website

Kinko circle and triangle notation

Can someone provide precise definitions of a circle and triangle mark in Kinko notation?  I am a little unclear as to whether the circle means play through the beat and then rearticulate with a new breath, at all times.  Likewise, I think the triangle means play through the beat plus one more half beat, but I am not sure how this affects the following notes.  In playing through some pieces, the definitions seem to be a little elastic and open to interpretation.

#2 2009-05-07 21:43:01

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Kinko circle and triangle notation

As described in Christopher Blasdel's book 'The Shakuhachi: A manual for learning'
"Sometimes a small circle is written in place of the dot to indicate a downbeat which is held over, and a small triangle written where an upbeat is held over."
I find this definition to be slightly ambiguous, especially to the person who is questioning these marks in the first place.  I was taught that the circle in place of a beat mark indicates an 'empty beat' which means a note is not initiated on that beat.  The previous note may be slightly to completely carried over that empty beat depending on the following beats and notes.  As such, a certain sense is necessary and may best be imparted by your teacher.  The triangle is exactly the same, but falls on the upbeat or left side of the musical line.
Hope that helps.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2009-05-08 13:01:33

axolotl
Website

Jeff--huh.  You're exactly right.  I was getting all worked up over the timing of the triangle.  That clears things up!

#4 2009-05-12 08:46:12

lowonthetotem
Website

I think the triangle means play through the beat plus one more half beat, but I am not sure how this affects the following notes.

I think in most instances the triangle increases the "time" of the note preceding it by one half and the next note is often a grace note followed by a note played according to how it is marked.  There are a couple of children songs, the names of which escape me, which have several of the "triangled" notes in succession and helped me get more familiar with this.  I am not much of a musician, so I hope anyone will correct me if I am incorrect.

"Turn like a wheel inside a wheel."

#5 2009-05-13 20:13:28

axolotl
Website

Yeah, I could have sworn I had seen or heard triangle markings performed that way, Lowonthetotem, which was what was throwing me off.  However, using Jeff Cairn's interpretation, the pieces I have seen recently make more sense.

Board footer