Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2006-06-22 23:23:13

daiishi
Website

Re: Propane Curing

Due to the hardship of finding just the right traditional handmade tools like small blades and chisels in the past I invested in a knife sized forge years ago and spent a few years working with a traditional blacksmith to learn to make all of my own tools for shakuhachi making. As a side effect I learned a lot about controlling heat and applying it to things. I have tried the traditional charcoal methods, propane, heat from the forge and a little device made by heating a 1 ft length of 5 inch steel pipe amber hot and passing the bamboo culm slowly through that. I have burned more than my fair share of bamboo. I agree totally with the improvisation that Perry provided earlier. Charcoal is too slow in small quantity for a large harvest and difficult to manage the exact heat. although it does work perfectly if done right. I usually use propane attached to a welding regulator and a torch tip called a rosebud. I find that at the key to all the above techniques is patience and control of low heat. You can't unburn a piece so sometimes you just have to take a little more time. God bless the person who invents the bamboo curing kiln that does this without dehydrating the wood.

Good luck and happy flute making

Some say history and tradition are everything. Some say their way is the only way. Some say the shakuhachi is just a container for a column of vibrating air. I suspect the truth is between all these.

#27 2006-07-03 02:20:46

evan kubota

Re: Propane Curing

What are some different heat sources used for aburanuki?

I've obtained some large diameter non-root pieces that are very fresh (cut a few days ago).

I tried the gas grill when I happened to be grilling anyway. Even on high, it took quite a long time with the test piece directly on the grating before the skin changed (several minutes). I didn't see any sign of bubbling or oils emerging. The skin just changed from dark green to pale greenish.

Is it supposed to be ready for wiping in 20-30 seconds over the heat?

I'm going to try the aluminum foil cone on the gas range tomorrow. Is this extremely localized (does it take a long time to do one piece) or does it disperse more than you'd think? I don't want it to be inconsistently cured.

Board footer