Hocchiku (Jinashi Shakuhachi) Making Workshop and Student Recital

Event: Hocchiku (Jinashi Shakuhachi)
           Making Workshop and Student Recital
date: June 3, 4, 2006 (Sat., Sun)
time: 9 am start
venue: Sunshine Zen Temple

Details
?
This year, Alcvin Takegawa will lead the workshop on making hocchiku at the Sunshine Coast Chan (Zen) Temple, on the beautiful Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. All stages of construction will be experienced from bamboo bending, crafting the mouthpiece, hole placement, to rootend formation and tuning. Please bring your own bamboo and any tools that you have: e.g. files, rasps, saws, etc. for bamboo work. There will be tools provided as well. Shakuhachi mitre boxes will be provided. For those who would like a raw piece of madake bamboo from Japan and would like to order one, please let me know. Please specify length and size, thickness of bamboo you desire. The cost of bamboo is $300.00 per piece. (Cured pieces are coming from the personal stock of Murai Eigoro.) Beginners are welcome to join!

Accomodations: I have made arrangements for everyone to lodge at the Sunshine Coast Ch’an (Zen) Monastery dormitory. Please bring your own bedding (eg. sleeping bag). One room fits 4 people and there are 8 rooms. The building is modern with excellent bathrooms and showers. As this is a Buddhist monastery, payment is on a donation basis ($30.00 per night is suggested). You are welcome to join any of the meditation sessions happening at any time.

On Sunday evening, June 4, there will be a student recital in the main hall which the public will be invited to listen. Any piece on any style of shakuhachi is welcome.

Cost: $CN350.00 per person (includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 days.)

For reservation or more information, please email Alcvin at ramos@dccnet.com or call 604-883-2023.

www.bamboo-in.com

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@dccnet.com
WEB: http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm

Last edited by Takegawa (2006-04-16 00:27:24)

I live a shakuhachi life.

#2 2006-06-05 17:40:29

dstone
Website

Re: Hocchiku (Jinashi Shakuhachi) Making Workshop and Student Recital

Just wanted to publicly thank Al and my fellow hocchiku-makers for such a great workshop on the weekend!

As far as I know, everyone came away with two or more of their own new hocchiku of all widths, lengths, curves, and aesthetics.  It's so amazing to, by one's own hand, cut, burn, dry, bend, drill, cut, file, sand, finish, and play a piece of bamboo in a matter of months. 

And I don't mean to detract from the mastery and experience posessed by professional makers.  In fact, understanding the art and science and care and attention involved causes me to stand even more in awe of what a professional maker can do.

Anyways, thanks also to Sandra for the amazing food all weekend, to the weather gods for disobeying the nasty forecast, and to Master Henry for allowing us accomodation at the temple.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2006-06-05 17:59:12)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-06-12 15:10:58

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Thanks, Darren for your great photos as well!

Yes, it was a lovely, idyllic weekend of communing with the bamboo,nature, and wonderful people! Thanks to everyone for making the journey to Bamboo-In (especially Jane who came all the way from New York!!!) Let's do it again next year. Yes, I am very grateful for Master Henry for letting us use the Temple for accomodations. What a great place to play as well! Everyone at the recital sounded beautiful. I can't emphasize how great it feels to participate in the entire process of harvesting your own bamboo, making it, playing it, and witness it's maturation through the years. We are truly merging with the bamboo!

This Autumn for the next "Roots Pilgrimage" we will be harvesting in 2 places: Nagano with Okuda, and Kumamoto with Nishimura Kokuu's son, Koryu-san. In addition we will visit more Komuso temples such as: Kokutai-ji in Nagano, and the new Komuso Temple run by Kokoo-san, another one of Kokuu's students, also on Kumamoto. We will also visit Koya-san, the center of Shingon esoteric Buddhism (roots of the piece, Ajikan), and take part in a secret ceremony with Yoshio Kurahashi at the temple of the famous Zen-poet, Ikkyu Sojun, at Ikkyu-ji in Kyoto. And, we will particiapate in a concert with the wonderful shakuhachi master-maker, Yamaguchi Shugetsu in Nara with his wife, the superb koto/shamisen player, Yoko-san!

I will be posting a more detail description of the trip outline soon.

Warmly,

Alcvin
www.bamboo-in.com

Last edited by Takegawa (2006-06-12 15:16:18)

I live a shakuhachi life.

#4 2006-06-13 02:35:29

kyoreiflutes
Website

Sounds like a great time.

So, do you guys so in Autumn to get the bamboo, then have this event in which to make flutes out of the bamboo you've already gotten?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer