Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-06-29 05:08:37

Worship Flutist

New to the Shakuhachi

Hi Friends,
               I have just joined the Shakuhachi forum and look forward to learning much here as I am very new to the Shakuhachi. I have been playing rimblown flutes such as the Anasazi for a while and I make a few of these as a hobby.. I have also been playing the Native American flute for a number of years as well as the trombone (wow lot of difference there). Any how I look forward to lots of great things here as I know the shakuhachi is a wonderful instrument. I am also looking for my first shakuhachi and would appreciate any guidance here and I could possibly do a trade if someone wold be interested in the Native American flute as I have a large collection of them as well as the Anasazi !  Thanks So Much        Mike

#2 2009-06-29 05:11:15

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: New to the Shakuhachi

I might trade you something for an Anasazi, I am a bit curious about that.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-06-29 06:18:10

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum!
Enjoy the reads.

Some shakuhachi flutes can sound like a trombone! wink

I'm joking of course. In a nut shell, there are basically two kinds of shakuhachi: a natural bore flute (the original temple flutes) or a completely fabricated bore, modern instrument. Then there's a variety in between. The Fabricated bore is usually a louder and faster instrument and the natural bore is usually mellower and less balanced in dynamics. But, there are always exceptions and many flute cross over since these are handmade instruments. You can read this thread to get an idea of how we feel about our flutes:

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=54

But please do not feel too confused or disparaged after reading through the thread, I'm sure you will be able to enjoy any well made flute you choose to start with.

- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-06-29 12:13:42

edosan
Edomologist

Yungflutes wrote:

Enjoy the reads.

I'm joking of course. In a nut shell, there are basically two kinds of shakuhachi: a natural bore flute (the original temple flutes) or a completely fabricated bore, modern instrument. Then there's a variety in between. The Fabricated bore is usually a louder and faster instrument and the natural bore is usually mellower and less balanced in dynamics. But, there are always exceptions and many flute cross over since these are handmade instruments. You can read this thread to get an idea of how we feel about our flutes:

But please do not feel too confused or disparaged after reading through the thread, I'm sure you will be able to enjoy any well made flute you choose to start with.

- Perry

Lordy, Perry! Don't emburden the poor lad with the dreaded Jinashi thread. Have you no mercy?

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-06-29 15:03:41

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Lordy, Perry! Don't emburden the poor lad with the dreaded Jinashi thread. Have you no mercy?

For once I agree with the anti-jinashi hatemonger. cool It's probably not necessary for beginners to worry about what kind of flute they play as long as it's one they can take lessons on with their teacher.

#6 2009-06-29 15:05:47

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

I actually thought so too - but didn't dare to comment....  hmm

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#7 2009-06-29 15:11:12

ABRAXAS

I think that thread has become a center of gravity for the forum, all other threads orbit around it. wink

"Shakuhachi music stirs up both gods and demons." -- Ikkyu.

#8 2009-06-29 16:43:52

edosan
Edomologist

Tairaku wrote:

edosan wrote:

For once I agree with the anti-jinashi hatemonger. cool It's probably not necessary for beginners to worry about what kind of flute they play as long as it's one they can take lessons on with their teacher.

Ahem. I am not anit-jinashi, you knob (I have two that I love); just anti-blather.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2009-06-29 16:55:14

Jim Thompson

Nonetheless Mike,
         Welcome to the forum!
                          Jim

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#10 2009-06-29 17:03:06

edosan
Edomologist

ABRAXAS wrote:

I think that thread has become a center of gravity for the forum, all other threads orbit around it. wink

'Tis the Black Hole, sucking us all inexorably into its event horizon, egad!

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#11 2009-06-29 20:26:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

edosan wrote:

Ahem. I am not anit-jinashi, you knob (I have two that I love); just anti-blather.

I know but I thought it would be funny to tweak you.

#12 2009-06-29 20:51:25

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

edosan wrote:

Yungflutes wrote:

Enjoy the reads.

- Perry

lol

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#13 2009-07-01 20:15:59

waryr

Tairaku wrote:

I might trade you something for an Anasazi, I am a bit curious about that.

I have several out of PVC. I could make you one, if you like? Based on the Broken Flute Cave flutes found in the 1930's. Measurements taken from a sample by Doc Richard Payne through Michael Graham Allen.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

Board footer