Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-07-04 03:53:27

mikemike

Can I get an informed opinion on this Shakuhachi.

Hey guys, I have my eye on this Shakuhachi, I am just a recreational player, but I have a feeling that I will play for a very long time.  I am considering this flute, and hope that someone here can size it up for me:

http://tinyurl.com/ngnfpo

I play a Yuu at present and I like it because it is extremely durable, I take it out in the woods everyday and never have to worry about it.  I assume this new Shakuhachi will require a bit more TLC. 

I bought the Yuu from the same person and I know he is a reputable seller, I just want to make sure that it's the right flute for me, because it's pretty expensive.  I like the lower notes on the Yuu, and I just make things up as I go along and learn as I go along. A bit cavalier I guess but I live in a backwoods scenario and I don't have access to a teacher.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

#2 2009-07-04 10:15:19

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: Can I get an informed opinion on this Shakuhachi.

Ichijo flutes are reliably good, and generally a bargain. At lease five of my students have Ichijo flutes. I have not noticed a MAJOR difference between Ichijo flutes that cost $1800 and ones that cost $2500, though.

If you think you might take lessons at some point, it might make more sense to start with a 1.8 instead of a 2.0...

#3 2009-07-04 10:50:07

edosan
Edomologist

mikemike wrote:

I live in a backwoods scenario and I don't have access to a teacher.

You obviously have access to a computer, therefore, access to a teacher. Why spend $2300 on a shakuhachi if you're just going to noodle around on it? You'll never really find out if it's actually any good or not...

Last edited by edosan (2009-07-04 10:50:38)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2009-07-04 16:42:05

heyjude

Nothing wrong with being a recreational player or wanting to own the best quality you can afford. The seller's open to "Best Offer" bids so why not make him an offer of about $1800. I'm a Ro blower myself and would rather own six $300 flutes than one $1800 one but I can see where your coming from.
As far as lessons go, you've got that covered with the Yuu. When you want some quiet time with the flute that 2.0 would give a lot of pleasure. I prefer the sound of a 2.0 and if I were going to spend a lot of money that would be my choice.

Jude

"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear

#5 2009-07-04 17:08:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

heyjude wrote:

. I'm a Ro blower myself and would rather own six $300 flutes than one $1800 one

As your playing advances you will reverse this opinion. wink

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2009-07-04 17:59:08

heyjude

Tairaku wrote:

heyjude wrote:

. I'm a Ro blower myself and would rather own six $300 flutes than one $1800 one

As your playing advances you will reverse this opinion. wink

Nope, you're wrong. A ten second Ro is the best I can do on a good day. Noodling in the lower register is where it's at for me.  To each his own I suppose.

Jude

"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear

#7 2009-07-04 18:19:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

heyjude wrote:

Nope, you're wrong. A ten second Ro is the best I can do on a good day. Noodling in the lower register is where it's at for me.  To each his own I suppose.

I said as your playing advances..........if you don't want it to advance I suppose it doesn't matter. Nothing wrong with noodling around if it's therapeutic. Rock on!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2009-07-05 04:13:02

mikemike

Tairaku wrote:

Nothing wrong with noodling around if it's therapeutic. Rock on!

That's sort of where I am at too. I really appreciate all the responses guys.  I really like the lower registers so I am thinking about a 2.0.  What are these Tymu Shakuhachi [sp?] all about?  Might that be another route?

Also is there any information on Ichijo that you could pass along?  I am interested in learning a bit about the one who made the flute I was initially looking at.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Last edited by mikemike (2009-07-05 04:13:57)

#9 2009-07-05 06:06:38

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
  I posted this tidbit of info awhile ago from a translation I did:

Ichijo Kobayashi (his real name) is a famous maker who lives in Suita city, Osaka (his adress and contact info is at the bottom). He was born in Yashiro town, Hyogo prefecture and graduated from Kansai Gakuin University in physics. He started playing the shakuhachi at the hougaku, japanese music, club on campus under the guidance of Tanaka Yudo (whose teacher was Araki Kodo III) of the Araki style of Kinko Ryu. In his second year of university he started to learn how to make shakuhachi from Shinzan. He said he started to make them because he needed repairs done on his shakuhachi but couldn't afford to pay for it so he was working it off as a helper to the maker. He soon became a live in student of Nagahiro Shinzan. Eventually he received permission from his teacher Tanaka sensei to go and take lessons with Aoki Reibo, which he still travels to Tokyo to do.
Because his flutes have a very good balance and are pretty easy to play many teachers recommend them to beginning serious students (around $2,000). But he also makes high-end performance flutes as well, all the way up to $10,000 or more. He is a classical Kinko ryu player but people from various styles often use his flutes. I have one of his 1.8s.
Here is a link to an essay written about him by Yoshimura Doumei. (It's in Japanese but you can see pictures of him making shakuhachi and the sign on the front of his house)
http://kunjuan.jp/i/library/kobayashi.html

一城小林
〒564-0073
大阪府吹田市山手町2-16-38

ichijou@pop06.odn.ne.jp
電話:06-6389-2033
FAX:06-6389-5844

Josh

Taimu would be another option to definately look into. You can check ken's site for various sizes and sound bites as well. He has lots of different sizes that would definately satisfy the Otsu desires in all of us. And one day maybe kan will apeal itself to you more. Of course Ichijo makes good flutes too (my first 1.8 was Ichijo), but definately a different feel compared to the Taimu.

Board footer