World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-07-11 12:56:58

Christopher B.
Website

Small Introduction and review from Germany

Hi all,

as you know English is not my native language but I wanted to share this with you. I hope you will like it.

Small review about my „Shakuhachi Journay“in Germany.

I was always creative and seeking for away to express myself. I draw, I wrote lyrics and poems and do some 3D-Art. Also I was always looking for a little bit of truth in the wisdom of Buddha and others. In the past I often meditated a lot. As I lost my job here in Germany I sold nearly all my stuff and went on a holiday trip to Munich to visit a old friend and to have a good time. I came back in February this year and decided to leave my old apartment where i lived with my brother and his girlfriend to live at my mom's country house.

Before that time I heard Shakuhachi on a CD my brother bought in the past and that sound really touched my soul, I decided to buy a inexpensive Xiao on Ebay to learn something about this kinds of flute. I never played any instrument before but I know that I dont wanted to play Xiao anymore cause the sound is very different from Shakuhachi. So I started searching for a Shakuhachi on the net but I have seen that they are so expensive and I never thought that I have the money to get one in the future, then I have found Perry Yung's website and contacted him. I asked him about a meditation flute and wrote to him that I dont have alot money to buy some of the "higher-level“ flutes and that I just want to meditate with the flute. Perry offered a wonderful flute to me for a good price. After a long period of waiting like a little kid on Christmas I received the Earth Model flute and started to explore that wonderful piece of bamboo with my breath. Perry's booklet was a great introduction to the world of Shakuhachi.

I started with hyperventilation, frustration and a lot of struggle to get any clear note out of the flute. So I started to search a teacher near Berlin, I contacted Jim Franklin to get a lesson to just learn the basics, some weeks of waiting I had my first lesson with Jim and as you know he told me that I am able to study Honkyoku with this flute and he showed me how to get a note out of the flute. I must say that Jim seems to be a very good teacher and a very nice Person. As I first hear him play my flute I was so impressed cause I never heard that flute sounds like this.

I never wanted to study anything, I just wanted to play and meditate but after I got some information about the history and what is behind playing Shakuhachi I wanted it so much that I was searching for another teacher to get some regular lessons at the beginning. I've found Dietmar Herriger who is teaching "Fuke“ here in Berlin and also studied Shakuhachi in Japan. My first lesson with Dietmar was great and we started with the first piece that is called "Hi Fu Mi“.

Now I have regular lessons with Dietmar and also have my second flute from Perry, a 2.0 Chikusing. As I show this flute to Dietmar he was really happy about Perry's work and he said that I also can study with this flute too if I want. Dietmars style is really different from others in America I think, he allow his students to play with any flute that can handle the notes and he plays big flutes with a more Jinashi like sound. He also build wonderful flutes for his students. Jim also allow this but I think he require a flute who is nearly in tune. I dont know much about that stuff and dont want to bother anybody even my teachers with that. So I keep this short. In practice there are so much ups and downs and there are sometimes nearly no noticeable progress but Shakuhachi is a great instrument and learning it is such a great experience. My life has slowly turned into this Shakuhachi world and I meet a lot of people here in Germany and on the net. They really become friends. Nearly all of my friends and my family love the sound of this instrument and really supporting me by what I doing on this way.

For me it is not about becoming a Shihan, it is more a way to explore and understand myself better. I am always happy to learn new pieces and technics but it is more meditation and exploring the deepness of this wonderful soul touching music. I try to do it with all my energy and a lot of passion. Its just more than music and getting a master, for me it is a way to reach my nature and exploring my soul.

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#2 2009-07-11 22:50:22

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Small Introduction and review from Germany

Christopher B. wrote:

Hi all,

as you know English is not my native language but I wanted to share this with you. I hope you will like it.

Guten tag Christopher,

Thanks you for sharing your experience and discoveries so far. You have just taken your first step of a journey of a thousand miles. And please do not apologize for your English. It's great. It's much better than Horst's smile

I'm so glad to hear that there are options for studying shakuhachi in Germany. Because I make a variety of flutes, I always ask questions when someone places an order so that I can provide the proper flute for what they want to do. I'm happy that Jim and Dietmar can teach on my Hocchiku and Chikusing instruments.

For me it is not about becoming a Shihan, it is more a way to explore and understand myself better. I am always happy to learn new pieces and technics but it is more meditation and exploring the deepness of this wonderful soul touching music. I try to do it with all my energy and a lot of passion. Its just more than music and getting a master, for me it is a way to reach my nature and exploring my soul.

A very noble goal indeed! Many people start with the shakuhachi because of the potential for inner peace and/or spiritual cultivation, which is entirely possible but not easy. I have been an artist all my life and made it a point to live fully so that my art can transcend my experiences. Who would've ever thought that sitting with a flute can change your life?  At first, it was just a flute that I had fun making and playing. Then, one day I found myself in Japan sitting in front of master players and makers. It's been a roller coaster and I'm still on the ride!

Seriously though, your feeling about the flute will change. That is only natural. In my experience, it goes in circles.

Thanks and be well my friend, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2009-07-12 00:10:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Christopher B. wrote:

For me it is not about becoming a Shihan, it is more a way to explore and understand myself better..

Good attitude Christopher, enjoy your journey.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2009-07-12 13:48:42

Christopher B.
Website

Thanks alot for your thoughts, yeah Perry I think so. But for now it is ok to just blow and meditate but sometimes I really want to play like my teachers smile

In reality it is Ha,Ro,Ha,Ro... ~Sensei~
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you know that life is a dream? Cause there is a way to wake up!
http://naturalbreath.wordpress.com/

#5 2009-07-12 20:47:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Christopher B. wrote:

...but sometimes I really want to play like my teachers smile

Play with an open heart and ears and one day you will smile

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer