Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-22 08:37:37

sakurashakuhachi

Underct mouthpiece - similar to Xiao

Hi there; can anyone explain to me the dynamics of an undercut mouthpiece; and how you would go baout making one? Does it need to be blocked off or is that just something that tends to happen on xiao? I play bith xiao and skauhachi and much prefer the shakuhachi; but I play outdoors mostly and I find the undercut xiao seems more stable? is this because you dont have a full edge to blow against? or is it just that my shakuahchi techinique is crap?! Cheers rory

#2 2006-04-22 13:39:30

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Underct mouthpiece - similar to Xiao

I don't know too much about the physics of the Xiao, but it seems to me that there could, in general, be less area for the wind to hit while outside. I'm not sure, though.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-04-23 14:51:41

sakurashakuhachi

Re: Underct mouthpiece - similar to Xiao

That's what i thought; It like the midpoint between a fipple and an utaguchi... I guess it's probably the fact that it closed in that gives it it's stability; not that it's undercut. Would that be right?

Board footer