World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-26 09:24:19

nyokai
shihan
Website

Honkyoku on other instruments

On my site philjamesmusic.com I have just added a new score (in Scorch format), Hon Shirabe for trumpet and organ -- a very loose use of the original. In addition, the String Quartet that's also up there includes a quote from Sashi played by solo violin, about a third of the way through (played on just the A string, look for "sul A").

I have always been interested in transcription of honkyoku to other instruments -- are there other examples that people know of? I would love to hear what other people are doing in this area...

PS: if anyone can't deal with Scorch and would like PDFs of any of the scores, let me know. I will add a section of PDFs on the site, but it might be a while...

Last edited by nyokai (2009-08-26 09:25:44)

#2 2009-08-26 10:29:06

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Re: Honkyoku on other instruments

There is a Dutch artist (Bass-clarinet player) Muso, that is inspired by shakuhachi music and honkyuoku. I don't think he actually plays specific honkyoku, but music similar in concepts. He also plays together with Ray Yin.
To read more about his idea's see:
http://www.bloomline.net/sites/biography.php?site=muso
I linked to him explaining his ideas, but there is more on the site.

Good initiative Nyokai, I would not personally need the score, but can I hear them somewhere?

Bas

Last edited by Bas Nijenhuis (2009-08-26 10:29:50)

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#3 2009-08-26 11:02:49

Bruce Hunter

Ah-hah!
Glad to see someone has posted about this. I have a copy (somewhere) of either Kyorei or Hon Shirabe that I transcribed for Brass Choir that I tried to use to expand their musical horizons. Not a lot of success there, I'm afraid. My brass students seem to take to the idea better. I'm interested to see how you handled the notation, so I'll head over to your website and check it out. Yes, .pdf files would make it easier on us. (Speaking for others, which I shouldn't do.) 8^)
later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#4 2009-08-26 11:33:46

nyokai
shihan
Website

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Yes, .pdf files would make it easier on us.

OK, all scores up there in pdf format now.

Last edited by nyokai (2009-08-26 17:53:00)

#5 2009-08-26 18:04:04

Glenn Swann
Website

I did a presentation at the Princeton Recorder Society this past winter, transcribed kyorei and choshi just very simply into western notation, and was surprised by how cool it sounded on 15 or so recorders of different sizes some people transposed or played in different octaves for variety. They seemed to enjoy it.

I followed rivers, I followed orders,I followed prophets, I followed leaders
I followed rivers, I followed highways,I followed conscience,
I followed dreamers... And I'm back here,
and I'm back here... At the edge of the sky       (New Model Army)

#6 2009-08-27 01:56:20

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hej Phil, glad you posted some of your music! Thats a really cool HonShirabe Chart! I like lit!!

#7 2009-08-27 02:39:52

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

what will be cool..is to have the other instruments play the notes with extended techinques or alternative fingerings. Its piece of work to figurate the fingerings that sound more like shakuhachi.

#8 2009-08-27 03:41:03

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Nyokai.

Thanks for the score in pdf format.
Looks good! Looking forward to have more spare time in October to look at things that interest me.

When I collaborated with the Danish composer Mogens Christensen, I gave him transcriptions of Tori Katotsuke Hachigaeshi and Kudan or Futaiken Tsuru no Sugomori. He found the material so rich that he has now composed a piece he has called hachigaeshi. It is based on the material from the honkyoku and written for flute, violin, viola, cello and double bass. The premiere is ... I actually think today. Unfortunately, I can't go. If you are interested I can ask Mogens if I can send you the score. I haven't looked carefully enough at the score to say how much is transcribed directly from Hachigaeshi.

My partner, Kenneth, who is a clarinetist at Odense Symphony Orchestra has made several solo concerts as a part of the orchestra's programme. His aim was to - in concert - approach the act of playing music the way he approaches meditation. In these concerts he has played several honkyoku on clarinet. I know he played, among other pieces, Honshirabe. I can ask what other pieces he played when I return from England to Denmark later today.

Now to the recording studio to make sound files to analyse.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2009-08-27 03:43:29)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#9 2009-10-13 22:50:36

nyokai
shihan
Website

Jiuta rather than honkyoku, but I made a VERY free brass quartet arrangement of the well-known ainote from Yuki, one of my all time favorite pieces of music. You can find the pdf score at http://philjamesmusic.com

Last edited by nyokai (2009-10-13 22:51:05)

#10 2009-10-15 17:41:48

jdanza
Website

A nice version of Honshirabe on Clarinet:
Evan Ziporyn "This Is Not A Clarinet"
Available on ITunes

#11 2009-10-15 19:18:27

nyokai
shihan
Website