Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Utagucchi blowing edge: thin and sharp, or a little thicker?

#1 2006-04-28 17:25:51

kyoreiflutes
Website

Utagucchi blowing edge: thin and sharp, or a little thicker?

So, I'll admit it: other than my Yuu, I've only ever played one professional Shakuhachi, belonging to a local player. I only played it for a minute, but it was of very high quality, and a real beauty. I didn't have time to notice when I had it, but I was wondering something about the edge of the Utaguchi: is it better to have the edge be sharp, or rounded just a tad?

I ask because, when I make flutes, I'm always trying to get the edge nice and super-crisp, which sometimes isn't quite possible (due to the cells in bamboo being so random), and I end up taking too much off, with little nicks here and there. This has happened a few times, and I've ruined decent pieces of boo because of it, or I had to go to the next node and make a much smaller flute.

I've seen some pics of utaguchi that didn't seem all that sharp, with just a tiny bit of roundness to them. Does this roundnedd make it easier or harder to play? It would help cut down on the possibility of nicks.

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks!

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-04-29 15:26:32

sakurashakuhachi

Re: Utagucchi blowing edge: thin and sharp, or a little thicker?

I think it's all relative but I orefer to make slighlty blunter edges so as to cut down on the aeolian (high and windy) overtones; you've got to blow a VERY focussed jet of wind to not get whistling from a very sharp edge. Rory

#3 2006-04-29 17:58:26

kyoreiflutes
Website

Do you mean those little "tinkly"-like sounds when you blow a certain way across the edge? I kind of like those.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2006-04-30 01:07:28

Michael Howard
Website

I prefer a sharp edge, I like those "tinkly sounds" quite a bit..

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » Utagucchi blowing edge: thin and sharp, or a little thicker?

Board footer