Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-28 19:48:18

dstone
Website

Effect of the back-of-the-edge angle and overhang?

Sorry for the cryptic subject wording -- I'm sure there's a better word for this but I don't know it.

In the context of hocchiku/chokan...  What's the general impact of the back-of-the-edge angle and is it ever considered desirable to deviate from dead-vertical?  i.e. if the utaguchi is cut at, say, a 45 degree angle, with the bore axis of the flute considered 0 degrees, then what is the effect of having a negative (as opposed to dead-vertical 0) angle to the other side of it?  Say, -5 or -10 degrees back into the flute.

Besides fattening the wedge of the edge (independent of edge "sharpness"), which my experiments tell me encourages a more noisy, breathy flavour...  is there a downside to a significant overhang in the fore portion of the bore?  I'm not sure if this is what's meant by a breath return, or if that term only applies to the rear of the ikegashi under the lips and chin.

This has come into play with a couple of big flutes recently, because the thickness of the node meat at the edge can be substantial so there's an option to lay the inside of the edge back (what I'm calling a negative angle) or ensure it's 0 degrees vertical (still with or without overhang).

Here's a badly drawn picture of the two ends of the spectrum... cross sections of front walls: (not to scale -- the real back angle I'm talking about would be much much closer to vertical, but the edge overhang in the bore could still be significant)

Code:

/\              |\
     /  \             | \
    /__  \            |  \
      |  |            |  |
     b|  |  versus   b|  |
     o|  |           o|  |
     r|  |           r|  |
     e|  |           e|  |

Thanks!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2006-04-30 13:29:32

bluespiderweb

Re: Effect of the back-of-the-edge angle and overhang?

Hi Darren,

I had to read this several times through before I got it, but now I do!  I'm not a flutemaker yet, but if you get some poster putty (blue tack), you can experiment with moving the utaguchi edge forward and back to see.  It might not be as sharp an edge, but will probably give you a good idea of how it will sound and play.

I use the blue tack with NAFs and Pennywhistles to tweak them temporarily, and get a lot of variable results, and all tweaks are immediately reversible, and also completely repeatable too.

Be well,  Barry

Board footer