Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-09-16 09:36:13

Itamar Foguel
Website

need some help with bore and blowing edge shaping

I just begun to build my first shakuhachi using a non root 4cm wide bamboo.

ill first state the problem: after opening the bore and cutting the blowing edge of  the flute, when i test blow it, its easy to get the 2nd octave note and it plays fairly clear (and sharp)  but the first (lower) octave really plays low and weak and with a lot of hissing sound (and kinda flat)
so its generally easier to get the second octave then the first.

I have no idea what is the problem and what i need to do.

Right now the blwing edge (node) is still a bit smaller diameter then  the bore deeper inside.
the bore is tapring inside but not enough to get to 1.8 (the end bore size is about 2cm diameter) but the node 10 cm inside from the end is opened to only about 1.4-8 (cant really measure it)cm

i can write more parameters if needed.
thanks
(i hope my explanation was clear enough)

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-16 10:11:40)

#2 2009-09-16 10:50:39

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: need some help with bore and blowing edge shaping

Itamar,

Grinding the node 10cm from the end will likely help some. You may have an aspect ratio issue. (Bore width in relation to length) A forum search for "aspect ratio" will pull up a lot of information you can relate to the details of your flute.

Also, a good tip is to make as many flutes as you can and gradually learn what works by comparison.

Good luck!

#3 2009-09-16 16:59:38

Karmajampa
Website

I recommend you read through all the subjects under the 'Flutemaking' section of this forum.
You will find many thoughts regarding the questions you ask, and many that you have not yet asked.
And as ken says, make as many flutes as you have patient time, learning through doing, observing, and strengthening your blow.
the stronger you can blow, the better you can audiition your flute as you are making it.
The answer to each question is somewhere there in the bamboo.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2009-09-18 17:58:16

Itamar Foguel
Website

Thanks for the advice smile

It was hard (for me) to find the specific info to my problem searching the forum for "aspect ratio" so i went over to www.navaching.com and read what i found about the aspect ratio.
it was 176cc and 555mm which meant it had a high aspect ratio of 31 (am i correct?) which make sense since the higher octave was coming out way easier then the lower. so i widened the lower node (my bamboo have only 1 node other then the mouth piece about 6cm from the bottom), and filed also the mouthpiece node flush and widened the blowing edge bore diameter. that made some improvement, Ive also widened the blowing edge arc and  filed some more the chin rest side to a sharper angle because i felt that its easyer to get the lower octave by blowing with that angle.
That made a pretty good improvement on timbre volume and accessibility of the lower note.
I had to shorten the flute to about 50cm  (instead of 55.5 to get it to play D (hope it was a good decision) so i guess that AR might be a lil high again hmm  (but its still way better then it used to be at first)

now it still got a bit of tendency towards upper octave but its better then it was at first.

another question is why when lower octave plays D the upper octave plays D# ?
(though im yet to drill any holes in it so maybe there is a way to fix it by fingering and its just me clueless about the techniques of the Shakuhachi)?

P.S. the bamboo have some of its skin scratched off at some points (well it was stored at our garden storeroom for about 20 years), should i worry about it?

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-18 21:57:28)

#5 2009-09-18 19:16:43

Karmajampa
Website

Good to see you engaging as you have, scratches happen, nice to have a good looking flute but better that it sounds good first.
50cm is becoming quite a shorter flute and any discrepancies are magnified. 1mm variation on a short flute is like 10mm on a long flute, at least that is what I have noticed..
If I understand your comment on angling the chin rest back, that may improve you getting the lower notes but will possibly reduce your ability to do full 'meri' note as now, to bend your chin down there is more chance that your chin will separate from the flute.
Regarding the blowing edge, I find this is a very sensitive area and every minute variation will make a difference, there seem to be several schools on this design, but your exploration with several flutes will, again, add to your direct understanding. The angle of the cut is relevant. The width of the curve is relevant, but possibly the most relevant is the depth of the curve which relates to the distance it will be from your lips, and also, the size of this opening, as the larger it is, the higher the pitch.
The aspect ratio of 31 is not off the norm but does slighty favour the higher harmonics but I don't think enough to influence the lower.

How long have you been blowing ? As this will possibly make a big difference in your flute auditioning.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#6 2009-09-19 09:39:12

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Itmar, Congratulations! What a wonderful journey you have just embarked on.

Itamar Foguel wrote:

I just begun to build my first shakuhachi using a non root 4cm wide bamboo.

ill first state the problem: after opening the bore and cutting the blowing edge of  the flute, when i test blow it, its easy to get the 2nd octave note and it plays fairly clear (and sharp)  but the first (lower) octave really plays low and weak and with a lot of hissing sound (and kinda flat)
so its generally easier to get the second octave then the first.

I have no idea what is the problem and what i need to do...

It sounds like either your bore is too small for a decent AR or the shape of the bore is irregular (maybe the nodes nee more removal). As others have written, let the experience help on your next flute. Find another piece the same length but with a slight bigger bore and do everything exactly like you did on this one and see what the results are.

Enjoy the trip!

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2009-09-19 14:39:43

Itamar Foguel
Website

I think tonight i will try to measure, mark and drill (actually use the burn method since i dont have forstner drill bits) and see what happen.

I must say that it is still a mystery to me why the second octave plays half tone higher then the lower octave (D# instead of D). Im yet to find info regarding the subject.
Usually second octave tend to play flatter then first octave right? and you fix it by petrubation and a tapring bore?
(or maybe im just messing all the info up and mixing it right now...)

Ill go with it for now and drill away even if the flute will play wrong, but i would love it if someone could enlighten me on the subject.

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-19 18:16:19)

#8 2009-09-20 13:33:41

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Itamar Foguel wrote:

I must say that it is still a mystery to me why the second octave plays half tone higher then the lower octave (D# instead of D). Im yet to find info regarding the subject.

Ro and ro kan octave tuning problems are sometimes the result of 1/2 the bore length having too much or too little volume (space) in relation to the other half. Here is further information on this. http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=1333
The link discusses a possible fix for a flat ro kan. For a sharp ro kan you can try the opposite.

Enter at your own risk! The "cart before the horse" rule still applies! big_smile  Good luck!

#9 2009-09-24 18:27:24

Itamar Foguel
Website

progress:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/hydrolon/DSC00118.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/hydrolon/DSC00113.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/hydrolon/DSC00107.jpg

Generally its all complete and the first octave(otsu) is pretty much in tune some problems ill have to recheck and post in the morning but first i noticed is that C plays when only thumb is closed. when its thumb+2 bottom fingers if i remember it plays Cb. and D in the second octave plays correctly when all holes are open but when they are all closed its D#.I didn't check the second octave (since im really new to the shakuhachi and yet to know the fingering - which is kinda absurd XD ) but from what ive noticed only by intuition its way off.
now i wonder if i should keep messing around with the holes or move on and try   the in-bore tuning method? >_<
Im also thinking of straightening the chin rest some more but not sure about it.

2 bad buying myself a proper instrument for comparison (like a shakuhachi yuu) and getting myself a private lesson with a teacher or even a book is out of the option for the time being (money-wize, I gota save up for the first academy year ahead of me starting next month) so i have to manage with whatever material i find over the net, my previous 9 years of learning the bohem flute, and, your generous advice smile

Soo.. here is a pic of the flute, so far im kinda happy with its sound and tuning, soft,ringing and strong. guess its fine for a first instrument.
I know its not traditional but i thought about some minimalistic decoration coming up from the bottom at the lower side of the flute of something... i did a try out on a spare lil piece of bamboo, this whole shakuhachi is really "not traditional shape" so..it might be nice(?).
so far i worked with a soldering gun but this is very slow..im looking foreword to get an electric etching/burning pen (and it looks better in reality then in the picture somehow).

Any advice or comments would be more then welcome! big_smile
(especially about the tuning)

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-24 18:32:12)

#10 2009-09-24 19:19:44

Karmajampa
Website

Your enthusiasm suggests you have the energy to engage in another flute, to which you will apply what you have learned from this one, plus, it will be another unique culm of bamboo and will present its' own characteristics. for me this is all interesting.

this one is about 50cm isn't it ? I'm trying to understand your tuning comments. You should look up a fingering chart to check yourself.

In many ways a flute is never completed so long as it is still in your possession, because as you learn something from current work, you then go back to earlier flutes and see if you can apply that understanding.

I spend a lot of time on the bore, blowing end shaping and bottom end shape before drilling and individually shaping each hole. I first look at the tone and volume balance of the registers, ease of transition between octaves, ease of blowing response etc, then begin with hole 1. the hole closest to the bottom end I balance this hole, Tsu, with Ro, all holes closed, in Otsu and kan. Then I move to hole 2, Re and balance that, and so on
I take changes slowly, often waiting a day or more before making that irreversible decision. But I do a lot of blowing throughout the day on that flute, making sure that what I am hearing, or not hearing, is consistently repeated, This is why I say the most important skill in making a Shakuhachi is your blow.

The great thing about making your own flute is your liberty to do anything you like to it, without being responsible to anyone for the consequences. Actually, it can be a very useful lesson to mess something up as you then see directly the effect of that change, And sometimes it can be reversed.
Also, it can be useful at this early stage to make only one change at a time, then spend time considering that before moving somewhere else, so you do get to hear what changed by that alteration.

Patience....persistence......

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2009-09-24 19:40:50

edosan
Edomologist

Itamar Foguel wrote:

Im also thinking of straightening the chin rest some more but not sure about it.

Both your utaguchi angle and your backcut (chinrest) angle look a bit severe to me. I would consider reducing the utaguchi angle a little (ie, making it less perpendicular to the flute axis), and making the backcut quite a bit closer to perpendicular to the flute axis. You only need a small angle for shorter (ca. 1.8) flutes; 5-8 degrees or so from the axis.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6840/utaguchis0no.jpg

Note the difference in the backcut angles on both flutes; one much longer than the other.

And then round off the back area where it meets your chin until it's comfortable.

And this is hardly the time to be worrying about tradition smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2009-09-24 20:15:39

Karmajampa
Website

I am curious as to how well bamboo will respond to decoration with something like a 'poker-work' hot tip.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#13 2009-09-24 21:02:17

edosan
Edomologist

Karmajampa wrote:

I am curious as to how well bamboo will respond to decoration with something like a 'poker-work' hot tip.

Kel.

Most hankos are applied using a metal cast positive of the ideogram heated either electrically or in a brazier. The lines in the bamboo are a nice brown to black in color (elucidation for Karmajampa).

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#14 2009-09-24 21:11:08

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

A general practice that my teacher and his father (Tsurugi Kyomudo) use in checking/setting the utaguchi depth and back angle relationship is to hold the shakuhachi between your thumb and forefinger at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions (if you imagine that the utaguchi is 12 o'clock) just under the utaguchi node, letting it hang loosely/freely.  Rest a pencil or dowel across the utaguchi and back.  The pencil should be parallel to the floor.  The round-off of the back outside part is a matter of personal choice and comfort.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#15 2009-09-24 21:29:03

Karmajampa
Website

edosan wrote:

Karmajampa wrote:

Kel.

Most hankos are applied using a metal cast positive of the ideogram heated either electrically or in a brazier. The lines in the bamboo are a nice brown to black in color (elucidation for Karmajampa).

Yes, I have some old 'printer's type' I have wondered how I might employ to this end.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#16 2009-09-24 21:38:04

Karmajampa
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

A general practice that my teacher and his father (Tsurugi Kyomudo) use in checking/setting the utaguchi depth and back angle relationship is to hold the shakuhachi between your thumb and forefinger at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions (if you imagine that the utaguchi is 12 o'clock) just under the utaguchi node, letting it hang loosely/freely.  Rest a pencil or dowel across the utaguchi and back.  The pencil should be parallel to the floor.  The round-off of the back outside part is a matter of personal choice and comfort.

I do this with my finger instead of a pencil, rotating the bamboo 180 degrees so that I feel the relationship from both sides. Different to using a pencil as it is the feel rather than the look.
But the intention is the same, that a line between the bottom of the curve and the back rest is perpendicular to the culm.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#17 2009-09-25 14:38:13

Itamar Foguel
Website

I must admit that i did not understand the utaguchi checking method.

Other then that...mm, i might play around with hole size lil more and try to put a dowel or a chopstick or something else tied to a string inside the bore and see if i can get the tuning better.
I really like the sound of the flute now and the first octave so i wonder if i should touch the utaguchi for now, does it effect the pitch and tuning of the flute?

What do you think would be better? doing the decoration on the flute, apply water based laquer to the inside and out, add some top and bottom binding and move to the next flute (and maybe get back to in-bore tuning later on and re apply lacquer if needed?)

or keep it with no lacquer for now and move on?
or just keep working till its well tuned..im lil scared to mess it up since the result so far sounds pretty decent to my ears....

One more question, for inbore tuning, is only wood glue+bamboo powder would be  good for the bore buildup? what about "plastic wood" filler? (i use it for all type of coverups in my dad's carpentry)?

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-25 14:40:24)

#18 2009-09-25 15:23:46

Karmajampa
Website

I think that by starting a second flute you would develop your understanding and be able to compare that with the first.

If you alter the depth of the curve in the utaguchi it will influence the pitch of all hole as the distance will have shjortened. changes to other aspects of the blowing posture will mainly influence the blow, make it generally sharper or flatter depending on what you do. You can take material off the top so that your lips get closer to the edge, this is a most dynamic aspect of the flute, small alterations can make a large change, you may not wish to make the curve too shallow that you then have to deepen the curve, affecting the pitch of all notes as mentioned, particularly on a short flute.

Keep on blowing, does it sustain a soft note, a loud note ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#19 2009-09-25 21:28:05

edosan
Edomologist

Itamar Foguel wrote:

or keep it with no lacquer for now and move on?
or just keep working till its well tuned..im lil scared to mess it up since the result so far sounds pretty decent to my ears....

It's very apparent that you've put a lot into this thing, but keep in mind that it's not precious gold, but an experiment, hopefully one of many.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#20 2009-09-29 03:31:54

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

Itamar Foguel wrote:

I think tonight i will try to measure, mark and drill (actually use the burn method since i dont have forstner drill bits) and see what happen.

Usually second octave tend to play flatter then first octave right? and you fix it by petrubation and a tapring bore?
(or maybe im just messing all the info up and mixing it right now...)

Ill go with it for now and drill away even if the flute will play wrong, but i would love it if someone could enlighten me on the subject.

This may be too technical, but you have a problem of bore profile, in which the bore is too either too narrow at the velocity node or too wide at the pressure nodes of the notes affected. The velocity node for the fundamental occurs at 1/2 the length from utaguchi to first open hole and the pressure nodes fall at the utaguchi and the first open hole. Since you are speaking about the second octave, in which the wavelength is 1/2 that of the fundamental, check the areas 1/4 and 3/4 the length from the utaguchi to the first open finger hole for being too narrow, and at 1/2 the length from the utaguchi to the hole for being too wide. It could be a combination of factors at those points.

You need to be precise about how many kan notes are sharp and how much and check those wider areas. For areas that might be too wide you can try John Neptune's technique of putting small pieces of folded wet newspaper at the critical points. If by adding mass at those points you lower the pitch then you need to add material to the bore at those points. If it makes things worse you will need to widen the bore there.

Good luck

Toby

#21 2009-09-29 07:58:41

Itamar Foguel
Website

Since im kinda done with this flute i think ill give it a waterbased poliuritan finish for now, few bindings near the utaguchi (tiny surface crack) and let it be and get on to the next flute.when ill have the time, after the varnish, ill use the wet paper method to try and tune the flute better, if ill have to remove material i can always apply some more varnish to the bore at that spacific point. now i wonder if i should apply the varnish above the bindings (fishing line 0.40 mm) or take them apart and reapply over the varnished flute.

Also, im almost done making (knitting) a thick wool flute bag for it. now i only wonder what type of lining i should add inside to make it air tight to keep humidity stable.

Its really fun making all of this all by myself big_smile
(crafting measuring learning how, poker-work decoration and bag knitting - been working on it the whole "yom kipur" holiday)

Want to thank you all again for all the useful advice you supply me. I will add some photos when the bag and varnish will be done.

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2009-09-29 07:59:32)

#22 2009-09-29 22:22:14

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

BTW I did some research, and generally a contraction at the top of the bore will sharpen the second mode overall, so you can probably make things better by enlarging the top of the bore to the same diameter as the lower part,

Toby

#23 2009-10-01 05:46:32

Itamar Foguel
Website

Toby wrote:

BTW I did some research, and generally a contraction at the top of the bore will sharpen the second mode overall, so you can probably make things better by enlarging the top of the bore to the same diameter as the lower part,

Toby

top diameter of the bore is already wider then the bottom, i guess ill have to go to the pressure spots inside the bore to try and fix the tuning, but first i gonna finish and varnish and start another flute, i feel like getting some more experience before getting to inbore work.

#24 2009-10-01 22:03:13

Itamar Foguel
Website

I have to admit that now i found myself thinking on the conclusions from this flute and on the next 1, the bamboo i got atm is kinda straight with a node every 40 cm or so...i think how can i make a tapring bore...maybe fill some way to make it tapering... or just open up the node completely and make it cylindrical. or keep the node and do spacific add on from glue and such inside the bore for fine tuning....

i must also ask why are you all using water based varnishes instead of polyurethane normal varnish with thiner? that water based lacquer seems to peel and do some problems and have a rather long drying time, at list on my flute it seems rather more problematic then normal laquer, good points about this water based i noticed is the nicer smell and safety (touching and inhaling the varnish vapors and such)

#25 2009-10-02 00:36:56

edosan
Edomologist

Itamar Foguel wrote:

i must also ask why are you all using water based varnishes instead of polyurethane normal varnish with thiner? that water based lacquer seems to peel and do some problems and have a rather long drying time, at list on my flute it seems rather more problematic then normal laquer, good points about this water based i noticed is the nicer smell and safety (touching and inhaling the varnish vapors and such)

I have used water-based urethanes extensively, and in my experience they dry much faster than solvent-based urethanes. Regarding chipping/peeling: are you applying any finish to the outside of your flutes? If so, I'd not recommend that, and it's generally not done. Mujitsu sometimes applies urushi to the outside of his shakuhachi for effect, but that's an entirely different process, and urushi sticks pretty well.

Put the finish in the bore only, where it can act as a sealer.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer