World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2007-05-17 11:13:11

Thorsten
Website

Re: Jazz/rock/improv

Tairaku wrote:

I played a duet concert with Neptune a few days ago. We played "Take Five" but used that elusive and disturbing notation known as "Western". I told John you were looking for shakuhachi notation of it and he shrugged and said, "I might have it somewhere...."

geni wrote:

Hi Brian,
Where did you guys performed?
Any recording of that?

Tairaku wrote:

I was teaching jazz/improv at the European Shakuhachi Summer School (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London) and John came in and gave a guest lecture. He was coincidentally in town for a gig. So we did an impromptu concert for the participants. When he played shakuhachi, I played bass. When I played shakuhachi, he played his bamboo drum. And we played some with two shakuhachi, including a duet in octaves (3.0 and 1.6) on Don Cherry's "Desireless". The rest was all jazz, blues, soul and gospel standards. It was a lot of fun. They filmed it, I don't know how that turned out. Neptune is an amazing musician. We made a lot of noise for two guys.

Take Five-Quicktime 25Mb

Hi - just to pick up that thread again and to finally make that Take Five clip available. It was such a great session by John and Brian.
I tried to keep the QT file size small so the visuals may look a bit compressed. Anyway enjoy!

Thorsten

#27 2007-05-17 11:43:50

shaman141
Website

Awesome Video! I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#28 2007-05-17 14:31:53

dstone
Website

Wow, that's good stuff!

You guys play well together.
I like John's polyphony (with vocalizing), also.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer