Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-30 19:46:11

sakurashakuhachi

My personal flutes

Hi there; was wandering if anyone could pass judgement or had any thoughts on my 'shakuhachi' regime... let me know if there is such a tradition ec.

Although I make and play shakuhachi to a level that suits me fine; Im currently really enjoying making large a size Hocchiku and drilling holes in rough 'guesstimated' of where they should go; no measuring; hand augering and hand tools only. My challenge is now to play my flut well; by no means to a proffesional standard but well and at correct pitch nevertheless (some holes are 40cents off with standard fingering). i wouldnt say that im appraching it from a suizen perspective as I do like to play melodically (no offence to suizen players) but as taoist Im finding this style of making and playing very satysfying. Im not improving my hocchiku any further in terms of it's musical quality or sound quality or it's aesthetics; but I am working on it as best I can so it will survive for a long time (lots and lots of danish oil coats are slowly doing the trick me thinks)... In one sense id really like for this to be my only flute over the years so I can master it.

i think part of my apprach is my romanticism towards shakuhachi and it being 'natures flute' (which is of course not that accurate considering how much work goes into one!) that can be built and played ect.

Also; im considering leaving this flute outdoors all year round; I'll live in the country on a wooded hill so it's fairly mild except for the frosts... How would bamboo react to this?... Perhaps I should make another from lathed wood for indoors? hmmmm

Is there any form of tradition behind this? Cheers for any thoughts Rory

#2 2006-04-30 20:44:24

dstone
Website

Re: My personal flutes

Hi Rory.

That sounds like a fantastic path you're on!  FWIW, I think if you're just eyeing things and getting within 40 cents on a hocchiku, you must be in touch with something real!

Regarding making the flute "survive a long time"... Are you embracing the tradition of binding?  The Way of dead bamboo is to crack, so binding should buy you some time.  I've bound a couple of hocchiku experiments here and while some of the trimmed pieces from them have cracked (small pieces seem to do that), the flutes show no such signs.  When they do (not "if"), I suppose I'll just bind again, seal if necessary, and continue.

Can you tell me what the Danish oil is doing to the outer finish/color?  And what type of oil is "Danish" oil?  I treated the bore of a hocchiku with tung oil once, for some moisture protection, but it did little-to-nothing to the outside color.  The bamboo skin seemed pretty resistant to soaking it up or changing much.  On the other hand, my hand oils have changed the color of another hocchiku in a very pleasant way.

And re/ oiling, if you haven't read Nelson Zink's thoughts on this page, check them out.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-04-30 20:53:25

sakurashakuhachi

Hi Darren; Thanks ofr your thoughts... I havent got round to binding this one (THE ONE!) yet but i have bound hocchiku previously... Im afraid binding may be the weak link in my shaku chain though; as im not very good!
By the By; when I wrote danish oil earlier; I meant Boiled Linseed... It seems to slightly brown off (only ever so slighlty) the 'skin' of the flute; and yellows the parts that are of the 'flesh' of the bamboo (e.g as revealed by the filed away mouthpiece) these bits now match the skin... not sure  if I lie how it looks or not; but tat's nay the point really. I have a look at Mr.Zink's site now... thanks again Rory

#4 2006-04-30 20:56:10

sakurashakuhachi

PS: BOILED lineseed oil... I believ non boiled is for cricket bats!

Board footer