Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-03 06:24:08

Maria Fletcher

lying down practise

Is it possible to practise shakuhachi lying down?  I only ask as I am currently immobile for several weeks due to an injury to my leg, but thought I could at least practise blowing... any suggestions would be most appreciated!

kind regards,
Maria

#2 2009-10-03 06:44:15

nyokai
shihan
Website

Re: lying down practise

Absolutely! I had a couple of surgeries last year and often had to practice lying on my back -- never had to miss a day. In fact, to get the sense of breath filling the bottom part of your lungs first, I often recommend practicing lying on your back -- very good for experiencing relaxed abdominal breathing.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

#3 2009-10-06 10:17:10

oceanica

I second this.  I had back surgery 2 weeks ago, and was joking with my teacher about playing lying on my back!  I am a beginner, and I found that I actually played better laying down!  Have fun with it.  Mark

#4 2009-10-06 16:27:02

Lorka

Dirty confession to follow....

I play on the couch far too much, sort of lying back and relaxed.  I call it couch-buki.  I try to play on the seiza bench and sitting up properly as I should, but the old lazy, chilled out couch playing draws me back in far too often.   Glad someone else confessed to it first (though you have injures to blame it on, and I have just laziness).  Hope the leg heals up soon Maria

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#5 2009-10-06 17:27:19

nyokai
shihan
Website

For breathing, I think flat on your back is much better than just lounging, so that the abdomen in not collapsed and there is an unimpeded column of air. Same reason sitting up straight is better than collapsed in a chair...

Board footer