World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-04 17:08:03

nyokai
shihan
Website

November workshop in Boston

I will be teaching a two day shakuhachi workshop in Boston on November 14 and 15.

This workshop, open to all shakuhachi students whether or not you study with me, provides an opportunity to refine your technique and explore your musicality in new ways. It is truly an intensive, a two-day workout that will challenge you as well as teach you. Your playing level is less important than your willingness to commit to a very concentrated learning experience.

The workshop emphasizes listening meditation, posture, breath control, producing a consistent sound, ear training, and effective technique. We will also study (or re-study, depending on your level) several honkyoku and gaikyoku. This work is appropriate for advanced students as well as beginners.

As in the past, the workshop will also feature "semi-private" lessons in which one student works with me on a particular piece while the rest of the group watches. In past workshops, players at all levels have found that this method moves their playing forward very quickly.

For this workshop, I am also adding three new sessions:

*  Evaluating a shakuhachi - this session provides a thorough and systematic method for determining if a particular flute is a good one for traditional study. I will not only go over how to test a flute's capabilities, but will help you develop a vocabulary for analyzing its sound.

*  Notation - this session provides an overview of different shakuhachi notation systems and covers some of the trickier inconsistencies among variants of Kinko that often confuse students. We will also work on the more complex rhythms that can come up. After this class, you will feel much more confident approaching new pieces.

*  Advanced breath work - this session utilizes some advanced yogic breathing exercises to conserve and extend the breath. I guarantee that it will improve your sound!

For full information or to register, please go to http://nyokai.com/novemberworkshop.shtml

I hope to see some of you there!

#2 2009-10-06 02:19:29

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: November workshop in Boston

Phil, it seems that you've put together an action-packed two days that will of no doubt be of value to any who are able to attend.  I wish you all the best with it .  Your three additional sessions dealing evaluating a shakuhachi, breath work and notation seem very interesting.  I'm only sorry that I can't take part but encourage any who can.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2009-10-06 07:47:48

nyokai
shihan
Website

Thanks, Jeff.

#4 2009-10-08 01:13:11

Carl Ayotte
Website

I haven't signed up yet, but I plan to attend. The timing is very exciting for me since I've finally (after finding my Shakuhachi over a year ago) gotten down to playing most every day, and getting consistent tone in the last month. I found your site because I was searching for a local event like this! (I'm in Southern NH)
Is it essential to have a 1.8 when attending? (I believe mine is a 1.7, but I planned to buy a 1.8 soon anyway).

#5 2009-10-08 08:24:11

nyokai
shihan
Website

Hi Carl --

Glad you're interested. Where in Southern NH are you? I teach a few times a year at Franklin Pierce University in Rindge as well as sometimes at Keene State.

Because a lot of the workshop involves playing together, a 1.8 is pretty much necessary. There will be some extras on hand, though, that you could use. If you are interested in buying one, there will be some available for that as well.

#6 2009-10-08 13:29:34

Carl Ayotte
Website

I'm in Nashua, NH.  Pretty centrally located for all points in MA or NH (and not against trips to Maine as well)

I'll probably have a 1.8 by then, thanks so much for the quick response and I'll see you in November.

#7 2009-11-02 13:15:30

nyokai
shihan
Website

There is room for a couple more people in this workshop if anyone is interested... http://nyokai.com/novemberworkshop.shtml

Board footer