Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-19 17:12:12

Itamar Foguel
Website

Olive oil as flute oil?

Ive seen something that is made out of olive oil on Mejiro and wandered about it...
Coz what i recall reading on the forum and on navaching.com was that only walnut and tung oil are being used for oiling, and that u need to use them with a catalyst or otherwise let the flute dry for 3 months (way 2 long...).
So any 1 knows the secret of the olive oil?

I must also state that i dont know about walnut but it seems that tungoil is not really available here in Israel.

P.S. the bore is lacquered i need the oil only for the outer skin of the flute.

#2 2009-10-19 19:52:21

Itamar Foguel
Website

Re: Olive oil as flute oil?

so no finish to the skin other then sanding and polishing (if desired)?

#3 2009-10-20 01:37:23

Karmajampa
Website

Olive oil on it's own will go rancid.
The skin is quite impervious and really doesn't need oil. In time it will take on body oils from handling,
I use walnut oil on all exposed areas such as the ends, the bore and holes, it dries off in a day or so but does take a few months to harden.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#4 2009-10-20 07:07:19

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

I occasionally use tsubaki abura (camellia oil) for luster and on exposed parts however as Kel suggests, your own body oil works just fine.  If you don't intend to coat the bore (and even if you do) , a wash of fermented persimmon extract (kakishibu: Kakishibu is more than just a dye. It also has preservative and adhesive qualities. In Japan—in addition to textiles—Kakishibu is used to reinforce paper, preserve wood, and clarify sake.) is good.  It's not an oil and is very astringent.  I notice that these things are available outside of Japan.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#5 2010-03-19 13:33:31

Itamar Foguel
Website

Im not sure kakishibu is available here and where... anyway i did see few proffesional made shakuhachi and they all had a very fine glossy finish to them and i wonder how it was accomplished.

#6 2010-03-19 20:40:04

Colyn Petersen
Website

Any thoughts on beeswax anyone? I find Clapham's beeswax based salad bowl finish a great restorative for Native flutes needing a little refreshing. I have no idea about bamboo though?

Though images may appear on the surface of a mirror with clarity, they are neither in the mirror, nor sticking to its surface.

Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

#7 2010-03-27 18:44:08

Itamar Foguel
Website

i still see some flutes done with a very high shine and luster to their skin i dont think wood wax can do it

Board footer