You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » Beginner shakuhachi & book - Yuu and Masayuki Koga- Japanese Flute

#26 2009-11-16 17:03:22

Todd Frederick

Re: Beginner shakuhachi & book - Yuu and Masayuki Koga- Japanese Flute

Purehappiness....I only needed to move my lower lip a tiny bit forward, the breath moved straight out and not down, and the sound followed.

Airin...I checked your blog. Very fine.

Anyone know of John Daido Lorri, Roshi, abbot of the Zen Mountain Monastery in New York? He recently died. He was also a long life photographer...another passion of mine.

Take a look. Site #2 is about his photography.

http://www.mro.org/daido/

http://www.johndaidoloori.org/

#27 2009-11-16 17:18:30

purehappiness

There you go. I have only been playing for about 9 months so I am no expert but it is nice to know that you are getting it. It took me about a month to finally start making sounds consistently.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#28 2009-11-16 18:36:27

Yuusui
Website

It's funny how progress goes. I tooted around on my yuu for 3+ years mostly in the lower register. I take one lesson and I am playing in two registers until I get home to show my wife. Not a sound at all. A few days later and i was back. Now several months later and the upper register is more and more my friend except for this past week. I know it will be back, but it is always amusing to me how we progress in learning.

http://yuusui.wordpress.com/

"Sit in zazen as if engaged in the fight for your very life!" Dogen

#29 2009-11-16 20:14:07

Todd Frederick

Every few hours I keep checking that I still have the correct angle and embouchure. It's like pinching yourself to be sure you're not dreaming. Right now it's all mechanical; later the Shakuhachi will play itself. All I can do now are single notes and the scale. No melodies, no intonation, no feeling. It's been months to get a single note; I guess it will be even longer to allow the flute to sing on its own. I've passed the first hurdle. More steps to take. I'm learning patience and I'm learning to relax...to invite the flute to play....the more I practice, the more obvious that is.

Technical note: I am discovering that when I loosen my "death-grip" on the flute and do not force my breath (just allowing it to flow softly and easily), the sound comes with strength without any effort from me. Amazing.

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-11-16 20:24:11)

#30 2009-11-17 00:59:04

Todd Frederick

I've been trying to find a way to post an image of my Shakuhachi here without success so I will give a link to my Flickr photostream where the flute is pictured.

I think that the beauty of the instrument is as important as its sound. That's what I appreciate so much about zen is the artistic culture including the ceremonies, the meditation practices, haiku, brush painting, poetry, zen gardens, bonsai, martial skills, philosophy and the inner peace it brings. A person can be of any western faith tradition and still practice zen discipline without conflict, in my opinion.

I am a retired 5th grade public school teacher and taught my students field sketching, Japanese brush painting, haiku, and, if I were still teaching, I think I would teach them how to make simple Pentatonic bamboo flutes (after teaching myself how to make them!).

My 1.7 Shakuhachi was made in the United States by James Sinkule (www.sinkuleflutes.com) from aged Madake bamboo with a nice root end. He is a good person to work with, a fine professional woodwind craftsman, being very patient, helpful, communicative, and his prices are very reasonable for the beginning player.

Hope you can see it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31557313@N02/4104818968/

Last edited by Todd Frederick (2009-11-17 01:09:34)

#31 2009-11-17 06:52:31

purehappiness

I guess the main thing is to not want to rush. Either learning or playing. I know, lately, I have been getting frustrated on how my playing is not getting a lot better. Especially, if I listen to someone else play. That is when I remind myself that there is no rush and I put the flute down for now and come back to it later.Like ray brooks was told in his book "blowing zen" just stick with it(not an exact quote).

In a way, it is like learning taekwondo. Each song is a new kata and it will take years to get accomplished and get your black belt(shihan). That is what makes it fascinating and challenging.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-11-17 06:58:25)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#32 2009-11-18 19:10:49

Jam

Ah, a happy ending! Glad to hear it mate, keep it up!

#33 2009-11-18 19:57:45

Todd Frederick

I'm still blowin'  Thanks

• Index
  •  » Practice
  •  » Beginner shakuhachi & book - Yuu and Masayuki Koga- Japanese Flute

Board footer