Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-05-03 15:48:09

evan kubota

Tuning order...?

I'm currently working on a PVC 1.8. This is for playing with other instruments, so reasonable tuning is important. I've been going by ear with a tone generator on my computer. I started off with the measurements on Kinya Sogawa's page. My bore measurement is 20mm and I used 10mm holes.

However, at the 542mm length specified D was fairly flat. I think it's at about 540mm now. All holes except the thumb hole are drilled.

- D is flat by almost 6 Hz
- F is flat by 8 Hz
- G is flat by 11 Hz
- A is flat by 10 Hz
- C is flat by almost 20 Hz

How did this happen, and is it possible to correct, or should I just make another flute? Despite what I wrote earlier, relative pitch is more important to me than absolute pitch. I can always retune my guitar, if necessary.

How much will adding the thumbhole alter the existing pitches, and in what direction?

I think I have a little room to enlarge the holes, but I'm not sure how much this will help (does it raise the uncovered pitch to have a larger hole, or lower it?).

#2 2006-05-03 16:41:18

dstone
Website

Re: Tuning order...?

Hi Evan.  Please ignore my advice if an experienced maker chimes in.  But in the mean time...

D, flat by 6 Hz = 287.7 Hz = 35.5 cents flat
F, flat by 8 Hz = 341.2 Hz = 40.3 cents flat
G, flat by 11 Hz = 773.0 Hz = 24.4 cents flat
A, flat by 10 Hz = 870.0 Hz = 19.8 cents flat
C, flat by 20 Hz = 1046.5 Hz = 33.4 cents flat

(All assuming Equal Temperament tuning and A4=440.)  That's pretty flat.  But since they're -all- flat, excuse my obvious question...  why not kari up?
If you kari-ed up, say 25% of a semitone (not much), you might be at roughly:
D 11 cents flat
F 15 cents flat
G dead-on
A 5 cents sharp
C 8 cents flat

Much closer and then maybe only a little hole enlarging would be needed.

It's probably better that you're flat than sharp.  I see two obvious options to sharpen things.
1. enlarge the holes, gradually
2. cut some end off the bottom of the flute, gradually

I don't know much about how the second option would change the balance between the holes, but since PVC is cheap, it might be an interesting experiment.

How is the kan register?  When I've made large PVC flutes with larger diameter tubing, I almost always have problems with kan.  But maybe this isn't so pronounced with a 1.8.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-05-03 16:51:20

evan kubota

I think those values for pitch were already with me playing kari as much as I could to get the pitch close. I'm not a very good player, and I had to partially uncover some holes to play in tune.

Cutting more off the bottom is not going to change anything but ro.

I think I'll try enlarging the holes.. they're realistically closer to 9.5mm now and I have fairly large fingers, so maybe 11mm will be OK.

Kan seems fine. The diameter is not that large - 3/4" ID.

#4 2006-05-03 17:12:09

dstone
Website

Evan, yes getting ro in shape by filing off tube length followed by enlarging the first hole will take care of your top two offenders with very little risk, I think.

And if you find your holes getting too large as you tune and you're worried about the fingers' ability to cover them, consider elongating them along the axis of the finger into ovals.  I've enlarged holes 30+ cents sharper without having to resort to moving the hole.

Someone experienced here can probably tell you what undercutting a hole generally does for tuning.  I'm unclear on that, myself, but since it effectively helps air escape sooner from the undercut hole, I would expect it to sharpen things.

Good luck!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2006-05-03 18:45:31

evan kubota

Took 3 mm off the end and enlarged all the holes... it's closer now. Not perfect, but probably reasonably in tune with itself (and with slightly opening the next hole, in tune with Western instruments).

#6 2006-05-05 18:32:55

evan kubota

Some more questions: when I make a 1.8 in bamboo this weekend, what would be a general order? I'm thinking of:

cutting roughly to length (maybe 550mm, to leave some extra)
removing the nodes
making the utaguchi
adjusting length as necessary to reach 'D'

Here's the question - if it blows D with no holes drilled, will that pitch change as the other holes are added? If so, how can I estimate how much higher/lower to make it?

#7 2006-05-05 18:44:54

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

evan kubota wrote:

Some more questions: when I make a 1.8 in bamboo this weekend, what would be a general order? I'm thinking of:

cutting roughly to length (maybe 550mm, to leave some extra)
removing the nodes
making the utaguchi
adjusting length as necessary to reach 'D'

Here's the question - if it blows D with no holes drilled, will that pitch change as the other holes are added? If so, how can I estimate how much higher/lower to make it?

A lot of makers don't worry about matching concert pitch, especially with jinashi flutes. They strive to get it to play in tune with itself, but not necessarily tune it to 440. That takes away one thing for you to worry about.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2006-05-05 19:46:00

evan kubota

Yeah... this is going to be used in a context with Western instruments, though. "Perfect" tuning on a shakuhachi (or even a tempered-scale instrument like the guitar) is obviously not possible but as long as it's reasonable I'll be satisfied.

#9 2006-05-06 02:27:05

edosan
Edomologist

I think this is generally the way Perry Yung proceeds (note that we are assuming bamboo here; something with a thicker wall than most PVC):

1. Get the Ro where you want it.

2. Use a formula to get approximate hole spacing (there are plenty around, mostly using percentages of length--looks like Navaching,com, which had heaps of info on this, is no longer extant--but Mujitsu has a very useful .pdf here). Of course, bore diameter will affect this formula somewhat, but as long as the bore diameter is not far off 2 cm, you will be close.

3. Make the first hole, but make it small (say 5-6mm) and enlarge it--towards the blowing edge to make it sharper, towards the bell end to make it flatter. It's also possible to affect the pitch by tapering or angling the hole as it goes into the bore--if the hole as it enters the bore is closer to the bell end than where it starts in at the surface, the pitch will be flatter than if you drilled the hole perpendicularly into the bore. This is a tricky procedure, though, and requires experience to pull off.

4. Once you get the first hole in tune with the bell tone (the Ro), proceed to the next hole, repeating this procedure.

This is more tedious than just drilling a 10-11mm hole and being done with it, but it gives you considerable latitude.

Also, be sure to read this (scroll down to the April 6, 2005 entry--hell, read the whole blog, it's worth it...) as well.

Perry made a 2.8 (G) for me, and was able to determine a very close approximation of the hole spacing for me before he cut any of them. This allowed me (he was in Japan at the time, I was in Colorado) to build a dowel mock-up of the flute, placing the 'holes' (colored sticky 10mm circles) along the shaft according to his measurements. I even found a dowel that was almost identical in diameter to the culm he bought for the flute. I could then play around with the hole offset to get the best placement for my hands. I sent him the measurements I came up with, plus some pics of the mock-up with holes marked, and he came up with the rest, even angling the Chi hole (#3) in order to move it closer to the Ri hole (4) to accommodate my hands. The tuning is on the money (thanks Perry!).

If things get a bit out of control, and you need to make the hole a bit bigger than 'normal' to get it in tune, all is not lost if you ovalize the hole somewhat so the axis of the oval is parallel to the bone in your playing finger.

Capice?

Last edited by edosan (2006-05-06 02:44:10)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2006-05-06 14:26:05

evan kubota

Obviously this is not something one can grasp completely after one or a dozen or a hundred flutes, but what I wonder is if the various formulas (Mujitsu's, the calculator at jeremy.org) take into account that the pitch of a certain note will be altered by the open holes 'past' it (towards the bell). I know the PDF mentions to start with hole 1 a little sharp and progressively bring it closer to 'dead on,' so maybe the formula doesn't compensate for that.

I had seen Perry's blog, but not Ken's. Good site.

I went through the 'enlarging and shifting' routine on my PVC 1.8 but it was off enough initially that I still wasn't able to get it all the way to proper pitch. Even with playing kari as much as possible it's still about 1/8 tone flat unless I open the preceding hole slightly.

Off to try again...

#11 2006-05-06 15:22:19

rpowers

edosan wrote:

looks like Navaching,com, which had heaps of info on this, is no longer extant

It seems to be available now:

http://www.navaching.com/shaku/shakuindex.html

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#12 2006-05-06 15:51:41

nyokai
shihan
Website

evan kubota wrote:

I think those values for pitch were already with me playing kari as much as I could to get the pitch close. I'm not a very good player, and I had to partially uncover some holes to play in tune.

I am not a shakuhachi maker, but this brings up something that I don't really understand in this whole thread. If a person is not a very good player, how can he or she know whether the flute itself is in tune? Just about every beginner I've taught starts by playing way flat due to weak embouchure, lack of diaphragm support, etc. etc. It is not simply a matter of "playing more kari," many people simply can't get the flute up to pitch for quite a while even if it's a very perfect shakuhachi. So aren't some of these adjustments to the flute itself meaningless unless you check out the pitch with an experienced player who has been properly trained in producing accurate pitch?

#13 2006-05-06 17:11:48

dstone
Website

nyokai wrote:

If a person is not a very good player, how can he or she know whether the flute itself is in tune? ... So aren't some of these adjustments to the flute itself meaningless unless you check out the pitch with an experienced player who has been properly trained in producing accurate pitch?

Phil, I have a keen interest in what you're saying because I'm a beginner player and beginner maker.

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of a beginner making in-tune flutes primarily for himself?  I think making personal flutes to play in tune is a reasonable goal for a beginner because by ear or by comparison to teacher or recording or tuner, even a beginner should be able to recognize "in-tune" when he plays his own flute.  The end product being, in this case, the Flute+Player(+Piece+Listener), not an absolute Flute.

A possibility would be, I guess... doing my development more harm than good by making flutes that only play in tune with a weak, flat embouchure...  hmm

-Darren.

#14 2006-05-06 17:28:45

evan kubota

"So aren't some of these adjustments to the flute itself meaningless unless you check out the pitch with an experienced player who has been properly trained in producing accurate pitch?"

True, but unfortunately there aren't any experienced players that I know of in my area (north Florida). I'm a fairly competent guitarist so I do have a decent ear, and even if my playing tends to be flat I'd still like to be able to play in tune on the flute - if I eventually develop to the point where I realize the flute was made sharper than necessary, I guess I can make another one more suited to my abilities at that point or simply play it on its own terms.

#15 2006-05-06 21:53:10

jamesnyman

As another player who does not have access to a teacher other than CDs and books, how would I know if it is the shakuhachi or me if I am playing flat. I can play "dead on D" with the Yuu and a David Brown 1.8, but not with an advanced student 1.8 from Monty. So, is it me or the shakuhachi?

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#16 2006-05-07 08:02:53

nyokai
shihan
Website

dstone wrote:

What are your thoughts on the feasibility of a beginner making in-tune flutes primarily for himself?

Hmm, if it was me I think the three ways to go would be:

1. get it relatively in tune, not worrying too much about absolute pitch; or
2. check it by ear against a yuu or other known in-tune flute, using the same basic technique for both; or
3. if there is no experienced shakuhachi teacher around, a very good western flute player could probably help with 2.

I admire anyone who makes a shakuhachi for him or herself, no matter what the tuning.

jamesnyman wrote:

I can play "dead on D" with the Yuu and a David Brown 1.8, but not with an advanced student 1.8 from Monty. So, is it me or the shakuhachi?

I would highly doubt that an out of tune student flute got out of Monty's workshop alive. DIfferent flutes require subtle adjustments to playing technique. After you've been playing for a while and have developed your breath and embouchure, you apply those adjustments intuitively. It's probably very good practice for you to try to get up to pitch on the Tai Hei shakuhachi.

Last edited by nyokai (2006-05-07 08:14:04)

#17 2006-05-07 09:38:06

edosan
Edomologist

nyokai wrote:

I would highly doubt that an out of tune student flute got out of Monty's workshop alive.

I would concur with Nyokai on that: Even the lowliest student models of Monty's flutes are in tune--in both the absolute and 'in tune with itself' sense, and this has been true for as far back as at least ten years in my experience.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#18 2006-05-07 11:57:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

jamesnyman wrote:

As another player who does not have access to a teacher other than CDs and books

Isn't Stan Richardson in Texas? Maybe you should study with him.

I'll be in Austin next week if you want to get a lesson and I'll evaluate your flutes and your pitch.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#19 2006-05-07 15:02:59

jamesnyman

I certainly never intended to imply that Monty Levenson does not make good shakuhachi. If I can ever manage to scrape the money together I plan to buy a rootend cast bore 1.8 from him. Both the cast bore student 1.8s I have owned were impeccably tuned...they just played a bit flat for me.

I am just a rank beginner with very little overall musical talent, but I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that if I can consistently blow Otsu Ro closer to D on two shakuhachi than I can on another that the difference might be in the shakuhachi, not me. Is it possible that shakuhachi made by different makers have different blowing requirements even if all of them are superb shakuhachi...ie., some take gentler breath while others take stronger breath?

Tairaku, thank you for your kind offer. Are you coming to Austin to play?

I have already contacted Stan Richardson about lessons. I am currently using his CD lesson set for self-study. If he follows through on his plan to teach in Austin once a month, I will be taking regular face-to-face lessons...something I am certain I desperately need. If not, I will be driving to Dallas several times every summer for lessons when I am not working 50+ hours a week as a Special Ed teacher.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#20 2006-05-07 17:12:43

edosan
Edomologist

James,

Didn't take any implication from you on Monty's flutes, in fact, it's likely that David Brown's 1.8 is in tune as well. I don't have any good explanation for your dilemma; in my experience there are unlikely to be significant 'blowing related differences' among flutes such as we're talking about here...

Were you able to test these different flutes at length in comparing them (didn't you own all of them at one time?), so as to reduce the influence of a 'bad day' (which we're all likely to have early on with this infernal instrument...)?

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#21 2006-05-07 19:06:32

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Evan,

evan kubota wrote:

True, but unfortunately there aren't any experienced players that I know of in my area (north Florida). I'm a fairly competent guitarist so I do have a decent ear, and even if my playing tends to be flat I'd still like to be able to play in tune on the flute

Much kudos to you and Darren for making flutes.

If you need a flute to play in pitch with fixed-pitch intruments at this moment, then my suggestion is to make one that works in pitch with your level of playing. If following formulas do not give you the results you need, then change them to suit your abilities.

evan kubota wrote:

- if I eventually develop to the point where I realize the flute was made sharper than necessary,I guess I can make another one more suited to my abilities at that point or simply play it on its own terms.

You're at that realization now but your playing technique is not up to the level of your approach for making. As others have said, it takes years to be able to play in pitch on a standardized flute and I agree. You may never get here and that's OK. That's why I suggest you make a flute that works for you now. Knowing that you are playing sharp flutes to be in pitch will help you develope the strength and emboucher required for good shakuhachi technique.

Every maker can only make the flute play was well as he or she can play.  This is why I consider my shakuhachi lessons as important as my study of flutemaking.

Happy drilling,
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer